Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza set up

How do you folks set up the grill for a pizza. I am cooking on the PS I believe that is to hot. It did happen but I was to embarrassed to take a picture. 

XL & waiting for my Mini Max Bloomington MN.

Comments

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Do you have a pizza stone and BGE feet? You can do something like this if you do:

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

I don't have a plate setter so I don't know if the legs should be up or down but the stone on feet is used by many folks.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • canegger
    canegger Posts: 540
    edited May 2013
    PS legs down grill then stone. Works good for me so far.
  • dougbacker
    dougbacker Posts: 277
    edited May 2013
    PS legs down, Pizza stone, and Jiffy corn muffin mix on the stone I do my pizzas at 450 to 500 and they turn out great

--------------------------------------------------------
    South Dakota
    KBØQBT
    Large BGE, 
    Mini BGE
    36" Blackstone Griddle
    Phoenix Gasser
    Cyber Q WIFI

And a deck box full of toy's

• dougbacker
    Here is a pic of one of my pizza's

South Dakota
    KBØQBT
    Large BGE, 
    Mini BGE
    36" Blackstone Griddle
    Phoenix Gasser
    Cyber Q WIFI

• Justacookin
    Justacookin Posts: 291
    Thank you can't wait to try again. I threw it right on the plate setter legs down. With to much flower under it to get it of my peel. Corn meal next time also.
  • Justacookin
    Doug mine was not round either one looked like a Kidney the other looked like a heart wish it would have been Valentine's day.
  • dougbacker
    Justacookin I like using Jiffy corn muffin mix instead of corn meal, Kinda adds a sweet flavor to the crust. This came kinda by mistake. Went to get the corn meal and it was gone, So I saw a box of Jiffy and thought, "This will work". Have been using it ever since

South Dakota
    KBØQBT
    Large BGE, 
    Mini BGE
    36" Blackstone Griddle
    Phoenix Gasser
    Cyber Q WIFI

• Justacookin
    Will try that thanks.
  • njl
    njl Posts: 1,123
    I thought the recommended way was platesetter (legs up), and then place the pizza stone on the cooking grid.  That (or with a few thin bricks to raise the stone off the grid) is what I've done.
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    I go legs up, grid then stone. But either way works.
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Legs up on setter if temp is over 500, if under 500 you can use legs down. I like a space between the stone and the setter. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Legs up on setter if temp is over 500, if under 500 you can use legs down. I like a space between the stone and the setter. 

+ 1

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • TonyA
    TonyA Posts: 583
    I don't know if pizza pans are considered heracy but I've been using my woo, stone and grid with the pans going right on the grid with great results. About 6 min at 700 deg. Today was the first time my egg got over 750, to about 1200. I backed it down to 700 to cook but I definitely took some life out of that gasket lol.
  • ddegger
    ddegger Posts: 244
    PS with legs up, then grid, then grid extender , then stone. Getting it higher in the dome works really well. I like to cook at 600-650. Good luck!
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    I use the method @cazzy posted unless I go two tiers then I go legs up with the ceramic grill works swing rack and start it on the bottom and finish up high. 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK.