Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Windows 8?

Little Steven
Little Steven Posts: 28,817
Picked up a new laptop yesterday. Windows 8....WTH?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

Comments

• Little Steven
    There is supposed to be an app to make it behave like 7. I haven't even mastered that yet. :((

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    edited May 2013
    Work from desktop mode and you'll be fine. Also, in the next update, they're bringing back the Start button.

http://mobile.theverge.com/2013/4/22/4251610/windows-8-1-start-button

If you want me to give you a walk though, I can do a remote session for ya. Hit me up on PM if you're interested.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Little Steven
    edited May 2013
    Man, I can't even get to desktop mode. There is a panic button. I'll do that tomorrow if it's OK. Leafs about to get hammered again

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• cazzy
    http://www.pcworld.com/article/2036040/three-quick-ways-to-ease-your-transition-to-windows-8.html

The desktop tile is on the metro page. On the pic below, the tile is in the bottom left corner:
    Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
  • Little Steven
    Thank you sir! I can live with this.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• cazzy

Thank you sir! I can live with this.

No problem, happy to help! Lemme know if you have any questions bro!
  • Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757
    LS, try "start eight". An app very cheap to buy. I had to buy it for all our '8 PCs. We are used to Win8 now and its not too bad. Same as 7 under the blanket.

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• Little Steven
    Thanks caz and aviator. I'll download that tomorrow. 

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• SmokinDAWG82
    SmokinDAWG82 Posts: 1,705
    I've been in IT for the last 33 years, when we have to switch to Win 8 I'm retiring! Hoping I can survive selling BBQ to my neighbors
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • cazzy

I've been in IT for the last 33 years, when we have to switch to Win 8 I'm retiring! Hoping I can survive selling BBQ to my neighbors

I ain't been in the game as long as you, but I can see the problems with Windows 8 in a professional setting. It won't happen, Windows 7 is the replacement for XP so you won't have to retire anytime soon.

I support clinical applications for physicians on hospital and end user devices. With that, comes the need for versatility. I support OS X, Win7, Win8, Vista, XP, iOS, Android, and while rare...even Win2000 & ME.
  • smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053

It definitely had a learning curve for me, but I have embraced it and am having fun with it.  I also have a Surface RT and a Win 8 phone.  I am usually in desktop mode on the pc, LOVE the productivity of the Surface and am having fun with the Win 8 phone.   Still miss the start button though.. 

Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • twlangan
    twlangan Posts: 307
    I want to start out by saying that I am a Windows to Mac convert - made the switch in '07 and have not once regretted it.

Having said that, I do not want to see Windows disappear. Competition is good.

But Microsoft just does not seem to "get it". We now have touch based systems and mouse/physical keyboard based systems. The user interface for one does NOT translate well to the other. There were all kinds of touch based tablets on the market for close to 10 years before the iPad hit the market. They used the standard desktop version of Windows. They were somewhat popular in the engineering field, but very very few were sold to regular consumers since the Windows menus and buttons were so small they were difficult to "hit" with the finger. The iPad sold more units in the first year than those Windows based touch tablets did in all 10 years combined. The difference was that the iPad user interface was designed specifically for touch input.

Scroll ahead a few years and what does Microsoft do? They release a version of Windows for the desktop that has a touch based user interface. This results in lots of extra clicks and movement of the mouse pointer to operate it. Most users running 8 on tablets like it, but very few desktops users can even stand it. Microsoft should have known that this wouldn't fly.

Their next version, Windows Blue as it is being called at this point, is due out later this year and it is said it will allow desktop users to boot to a more efficient Start screen on desktops instead of the Metro interface. How difficult would it have been to give the user the option in Win 8 to boot to Start or Metro?
  • cazzy
    edited May 2013
    I guess I'm different cause I like feel on the surface tablet and like windows 8 on my desktop. I'm not the average user so I can see how some may struggle with it.

I love my MacBook because it has the most intuitive track pad I've every used.
  • Optiontrader
    Optiontrader Posts: 174
    Trade it in for Mountain Lion.
    Amen!!!!!
    Brighton, IL (North East of St. Louis, MO)
  • EddieK76
    EddieK76 Posts: 416
    <telling himself> I won't get on my Apple Soap Box, I won't get on my Apple Soap Box...Oh who cares... <Screams from the mountaintops>  I love my iMac and I love Apple...Trust me convert and you'll never look back :)
    Large BGE

• cazzy
    edited May 2013
    EddieK76 said:

<telling himself> I won't get on my Apple Soap Box, I won't get on my Apple Soap Box...Oh who cares... <Screams from the mountaintops>  I love my iMac and I love Apple...Trust me convert and you'll never look back :)

unless you're a IT Professional! :-B
  • DMurf
    DMurf Posts: 481
    Microsoft = Weber
    Apple = BGE

Which would you rather cook on?
    David
    BBQ since 2010 - Oh my, what I was missing.
  • cazzy
    edited May 2013
    I love how windows threads always become a apple's better thread when Apple wasn't even mentioned in the OP's post. Like @twlangan said, competition is good. Windows is not being complacent and that forces Apple to not sit on their hands either. This is coming from a 70% apple user...while windows may be inferior in some regards, Apple will always trail windows because their footprint in the business world is huge.

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

It's the same reason why I love Android even though I've been a iPhone user since its inception...they've forced Apple to step their game up.
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    I have avoided Windows 8 like the plague. I love Windows 7, and I hope I can wait until an improved version comes out until I have to make my next purchase. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    I also love my iMac, but I run Windows on it also for the 3 Windows Only apps that I use.  I'm on Windows XP and don't intend to move.

My nephew was a product manager for Dell, and he got a Mac.  He said Macs run Windows better than a Dell does.  (Maybe that's why he doesn't work for them anymore ) 
    :))

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• cazzy
    edited May 2013

I also love my iMac, but I run Windows on it also for the 3 Windows Only apps that I use.  I'm on Windows XP and don't intend to move.

My nephew was a product manager for Dell, and he got a Mac.  He said Macs run Windows better than a Dell does.  (Maybe that's why he doesn't work for them anymore ) 
    :))
    I would believe that. For one, Dell's build quality is crap and Apples build quality is unchallenged by any competitor. Windows can be put on any rig, so the experience always changes while Apple remains consistent and end users always have the experience Apple intends them to have. That reason alone is why apple products have excellent resale value.

I've used several Hackintosh's on PCs, and while they work, there are always a few things that don't.
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Man, I can't even get to desktop mode. There is a panic button. I'll do that tomorrow if it's OK. Leafs about to get hammered again
    O Yee of little faith - they will throw you the hell out of Ontario with comments like that!
    I'm so glad I retired and no longer need Windows.... Our Macs work just fine for what we do. 
    Just watching the Sens putting it to my Habs..... ARGH! 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    Little Steven installing Wifi at home.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    My daughter got a touchscreen laptop with it.  It took a little longer to set up, but even Win 7 had a small learning curve when coming from XP.  She finds it just fine and is thinking of a windows phone on the next upgrade. 

Apple stuff is good but I find it funny that Apple is part of the conversation. Did I overlook a $500 apple notebook when I got my daughter's machine?
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • scottc454
    scottc454 Posts: 94
    I hate Microsoft as much as the next guy but Apple kind of sucks too, for a different reason. They always know what's best for you and you do it their way or else. If Apple had an ice cream store, there'd be one flavor, and it'd be whatever was Steve Jobs' favorite.

• EddieK76
    EddieK76 Posts: 416
    Ragtop99 said:
    My daughter got a touchscreen laptop with it.  It took a little longer to set up, but even Win 7 had a small learning curve when coming from XP.  She finds it just fine and is thinking of a windows phone on the next upgrade. 

Apple stuff is good but I find it funny that Apple is part of the conversation. Did I overlook a $500 apple notebook when I got my daughter's machine?
    Wait we are talking about cost in an Egg forum?  With that thinking you should've bought a CG Kamado. 
    Large BGE

• yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    edited May 2013
    scottc454 said:
    I hate Microsoft as much as the next guy but Apple kind of sucks too, for a different reason. They always know what's best for you and you do it their way or else. If Apple had an ice cream store, there'd be one flavor, and it'd be whatever was Steve Jobs' favorite.
    I couldn't agree with you more. I'd rather do Windows and let me make my own decisions. 
    Dunedin, FL