Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Double the pleasure double the Fun! Brisket Baby!!!

Alton
Alton Posts: 509
Ok wish me luck.... First time doing two Briskets a 9.3lb and a 10.8lb on top. Anything special I should be looking out for?
PROUD MEMBER OF THE WHO DAT NATION!!!!! Stuck in Dallas.......

Comments

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Double the posts ! Double the post count!
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Alton
    @chubbs oops ! Fat thumb :D
  • EddieK76
    EddieK76 Posts: 416
    That's gonna be some good eats!
    Large BGE

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Was joking. Looks great
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    You should look out for heaven.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • 20lbs of brisket on a large?  ^:)^

Can't wait to hear how it all goes.
    Gittin' there...
  • Alton
    Big temp drop at about 5:30 this morning . Had to really open everything up to get it back to temp. The IT even dropped 8 degrees or so. Will the drop in IT during the cook make any kind of noticeable difference in the cook?
  • <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />Alton good luck on the cook. I noticed your two tier rack system and wondered if you built or bought it? I've seen the nice one from CGW but I'm not a huge face of cast iron grates.  Would you be willing to share your design and parts list if it's homemade?  Looking forward to the final results. 

• Alton
    @hawkeyeegghead I bought the swing attachment at my local ACE for $25 and I used a spare medium grid from one of my old grills. I'll post more pictures of the attachment after today cook.
  • Cowdogs
    Cowdogs Posts: 491
    Alton said:
    Big temp drop at about 5:30 this morning . Had to really open everything up to get it back to temp. The IT even dropped 8 degrees or so. Will the drop in IT during the cook make any kind of noticeable difference in the cook?
    No, the drop in temp won't matter.  My only concern would be that more time in the egg can dry out the meat.  I started cooking my briskets at at 280 - 300 to keep the overall time on the egg a little lower.

I hate wrapping in foil for my low and slow briskets, but I would do it if I felt they were going to spend too much time in the egg..
  • Alton
    Briskets pulled at IT 200-205. Probe moving in like butter.... Now FTC for about 4hr... [-O<
  • Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Looks great, I've only done a full packer a couple of times, doing two at a time is an accomplishment.  Nicely done @Alton
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    Nice, how long were they on the egg for? I don't think I can make it over in four hours so you will just have to send pics  :D
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • Alton
    Solson005 said:
    Nice, how long were they on the egg for? I don't think I can make it over in four hours so you will just have to send pics  :D

Put them on at 6:30 yesterday afternoon and removed them at 8:00 AM. Just put on some mini chicken bombs and ABT's
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    Oh man, just read your signature line. I can make it to Dallas in less than 4 hours! 

and great appetizers maybe I should hop on i-35 south. Going to be good eats at your house today! 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Food all looks great!  

I'm also curious about your home made rack setup.  Is that attachment you got from Ace made for this purpose.  Just wondering if I could find something like that in the BBQ section or if it is some other piece of hardware you got innovative with ;)

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    Looking awesome! Man I'm hungry

XLBGE 
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Food all looks great!  

I'm also curious about your home made rack setup.  Is that attachment you got from Ace made for this purpose.  Just wondering if I could find something like that in the BBQ section or if it is some other piece of hardware you got innovative with ;)
    Agree on the rack. I think you just saved me 150 bucks by forgoing the swing grate. Especially since he is forsaking the BGE for the evil Grill Dome!  :((
  • MrCookingNurse

Food all looks great!  

Agree on the rack. I think you just saved me 150 bucks by forgoing the swing grate. Especially since he is forsaking the BGE for the evil Grill Dome!  :((

What's the word boss?? Where we get that bracket!! :D

XLBGE 
  • Alton
    I got it at ACE for $25
  • Eggcelsior
    Alton said:
    I got it at ACE for $25
    Item number? Name of product? I can't find it on the Ace website.
  • Alton
    Looks like I threw my box away. Will swing by the store tomorrow and post the details
  • bccomstock
    bccomstock Posts: 338
    Need this info nao @Alton

=))
    LBGE
    MS Gulf Coast - Proud member of the Who Dat Nation!
    My Not Frequently Updated Basically Dead Blog: http://datcue.wordpress.com
  • MrCookingNurse
    Just checking in on the swing grate info

:-<

XLBGE 
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,023
    You go boy! B-)
  • rsmith193
    rsmith193 Posts: 219
    Alton said:
    Looks like I threw my box away. Will swing by the store tomorrow and post the details
    Have you gone to ACE yet? I'd like to know what that swing piece is, so I can get one. That will allow me so much more space at my competitions.  
  • yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    I'm with everyone on needing more info on this hardware. Thanks Alton!
    Dunedin, FL
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Awesome cook! I didn't know you could cook that much brisket on a large.

I have that same piece of hardware, but have not used it yet. I found it a few years ago for about $20 at a place called The Fireplace Man in Housotn. He is a BGE dealer, but didn't seem to know much about his products, and his prices are pretty high. This is the same place that wanted to charge me $15-20 per foot for the BGE ceramic feet. I bought it the swing bracket a few years ago to try on my drum smoker, but the top rack bowed a bit when loaded, so I didn't use it. BGE grids are stronger than Weber grids, so I have been thinking about putting it to the test now that I have a couple of eggs. This thread makes it look like it would work reasonably well. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Eggcelsior
    @caliking, what is it called? The interwebs has not been my friend on this.
  • I could weld one of those!
    Gittin' there...