Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First time post and high heat brisket

Options

After a few years of lurking and enjoying the tips from others I thought it time to post.  This morning the LBGE is cooking a high heat 8lb brisket that unfortunately doesn't look quite like a packer.  I thought of going the Texas style with just salt and pepper but decided to use a Weber Steak and Chop shake they had on sale at the Costco for $4 for the big shaker.  I plan to cook at 300-235 and plan to at 165 given so many others claiming best ever results.  Question, I've read to pull at 205 yet it's more the feel then temp.  Any suggestions?  Thank you in advance.

Comments

• QDude
    QDude Posts: 1,052
    Options
    When a fork goes in with no resistance it is time to pull it.  That should be in the 200 degree range.

Northern Colorado Egghead since 2012.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

• HawkeyeEgghead
    Options
    QDude, thank you.  I'm two and half hours in and just hit 160.  Not a great crust forming yet?  Guess if it's foiled it won't matter.
  • Cowdogs
    Cowdogs Posts: 491
    Options
    To get a better crust, wait until 180 to foil.  Skipping the foil is my advice for a high heat cook. High heat =  less time on grill = less moisture loss.  Make sure you are probing in the coolest spot.  
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    edited May 2013
    Options
    I'm anxious to hear your results, since most peeps cook flats delicately. Love the experimentation! I've learned more from curve ball approaches and it's helped me refine my technique.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....