Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chicken legs and thighs

Options
I am looking to smoke this Saturday with some pecan wood, chicken legs and thighs. Planning to rub them the night before and let them sit. My question is how long and at what temp should I smoke them for maximum flavor and juiciness? Any help would be welcomed. Thanks.

Comments

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Well now, lots of options. Rub under the skin, maybe even a touch of melted butter - depending on your rub. A touch of corn starch or baking powder in the rub on the meat will add to the crispy crust. Indirect at 425-450 will give a nice skin. 
    Direct at 350-400 raised will also give a similar result - but depending on the trim of the legs and thighs- you could have a bit more grease smoke. 
    To really get the pecan it is better IMHo to start the meat indirect at grid 325 and let it come up over 20 minutes or so to 450. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Raised at 400 direct. Leave uncovered in fridge over night. Very light EVOO & rub a few mins before putting on. I mix pecan and cherry chips (NOT A LOT). Cherry gives it real good color. Same for turkey legs.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Kasey595
    Kasey595 Posts: 20
    Options
    Thanks for the advice, I am looking forward to doing them.
  • yellowdogbbq
    yellowdogbbq Posts: 389
    Options
    +1 @Mickey, finish at 165 and remember to go light on the chips or chunks because poultry really takes up the smoke.  Have fun.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    I like to cook legs and thighs to about 190* or so. Meat doesn't dry out and the skin is really good

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Kasey595
    Options
    About how long am I looking at on the cook if I am cooking indirect at about 425-450?
  • QDude
    QDude Posts: 1,052
    Options
    I like to debone the thighs as I seem to get a more uniform cook and it is faster. I pull them when they hit 165 degrees. The Yardbird rub is great!

Northern Colorado Egghead since 2012.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

• Beaumonty
    Beaumonty Posts: 198
    Options
    I cook legs and thighs to 185*.  

It looks like you are going in a bit of a different direction but buttermilk works magic on chicken too.  Next time consider brining in it.  I have an excellent recipe but the skins will have to be dried off well to crisp up.  
  • rsmith193
    rsmith193 Posts: 219
    Options
    I've done well with filleting the fat off the skin, this will give that bite through skin. Start with  indirect in a pan and pat of butter at 300 for an hour. Then indrect on a frog matt for 45 min. Start on the frog matt skin side down for 10 min, then skin side up for the remainder.
  • Kasey595
    Options
    Chicken cook turned out well thanks for all the advice.
  • Kasey595
    Options