Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
April showers bring...National BBQ Month! Are you ready for a month full of briskets, pulled pork and chicken wings? We hope so, because it’s almost here! Keep an eye out for some of our favorite BBQ recipes we’ll be sharing with you throughout the month of May.

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

I might be catching on to this cooking brisket flats

Dave in FloridaDave in Florida Posts: 809
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum
Went to Sam's yesterday and they had two 5.5 lb brisket flats that were just about the same thickness throughout. I did one tonight.

Here it is getting started.

This is exactly what I did.

I injected with this.

2 cups beef stock, 1 tsp salt, 1 tbl worchestire, 1 tbl good bbq rub, 1 stick butter. Simmer 30 min. Inject when cooled. Simple, easy and good.

And let it set in the frig overnight before cooking.

Dizzy Pig Course Rub, and three chunks of hickory. 250 at the grid NOT the dome. Dome was about 260 - 265. Indirect with a drip pan that was half water half apple juice to prevent the juice from burning. Sprayed with apple juice about every 30 mins. Once internal reached 170, I place brisket in an aluminum pan added just enough apple juice to cover the bottom of the pan and sealed the pan with foil. Place back on the egg and bumped the temp to 300 at the grid. Once temp reached 205, I pulled it and removed it from the pan which now has a lot of juices. This thing was like a full sponge. Juices was just a bubbling out where the temp. probe had been. I double foiled it adding some of the juice from the pan into the foil pouch. Placed it in a cooler for 3 hours.

Sliced it up and this thing was extremely juicy, tender and great flavor. If I had to find something wrong with this brisket it was the smoke ring was not as thick and pronounced as my other briskets and the bark was not as hard. I can live with those.

I'm hoping you can see the juiciness in this pic. This is directly after the cut, I did not brush it with juice or anything. It is VERY juicy.

I will be very happy if I can duplicate this success again anytime I do a brisket flat. In my wife and my mind, this one is as close to perfect as I had ever made or eaten.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
·

Comments

• lousubcaplousubcap Posts: 6,100
    Great cook-Whatever the method that yields success with a flat is a winner.  Thanks for sharing your cook-you offered some options to consider down the road.
    Louisville
    ·
  • ribnrunribnrun Posts: 174
    That looks awesome for just a flat. How did the bark turn out with so much braise?
    ·
  • tactical_66tactical_66 Posts: 195
    Nicely done
    ·
  • travisstricktravisstrick Posts: 4,781
    I've yet to cook a flat. Here in Central Texas, it's harder to find flats than it is to find whole packers. God bless America and God bless Texas.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
    ·
  • travisstricktravisstrick Posts: 4,781
    Also, that lower pic looks perfect. I'd say  you did a great job.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
    ·
  • That looks awesome for just a flat. How did the bark turn out with so much braise?
    The bark is not a hard crust. It is softer, but lord this brisket is sooooo good. 

·
  • BuckeyeBobBuckeyeBob Posts: 640
    Here's my method with flats. Rub with your favorite rub while egg heats up. Cook at a little higher heat, around 300-325. Once meat hits 165, wrap in foil with some beef broth. When you can insert a temp probe and remove with no resistance, your flat is done. Bark isn't great but doesn't dry out. Good luck.
    Clarendon Hills, IL
    ·
  • henapplehenapple Posts: 13,987
    @ Dave in Florida...hours per pound? Starting one soon. Thanks.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
    ·
  • MickeyMickey Posts: 16,155
    Nice cook Dave.
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, just added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

·
  • shuckershucker Posts: 260
    looks great.  Ill have to try your method because I sure bombed on one yesterday. 

Shucker

Eastern North Carolina

Go Pirates!

Large & Mini Max Big Green Eggs

·
  • Looks great!  What was your total egg time?
    If the world is something you accept rather than interpret, then you're susceptible to the influence of charismatic idiots.

Currently in Albuquerque, where I'm kicking ass every day, even without a basket.  
    ·
  • AleBrewerAleBrewer Posts: 555
    Looks really good....I'm tempted to try a flat again.
    ·
  • henapplehenapple Posts: 13,987
    I've got a small 4 lb on right now. Well see.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
    ·
  • MklineMkline Posts: 177
    Looks great! So for around about planning reasons what was the cook time on the egg? :ar!
    ·
  • JRWhiteeJRWhitee Posts: 2,587
    Nice job Dave, I am doing a Packer for the Super Bowl. 

Large BGE 2006, Mini Max 2014 
    Founding Member of the Green Man Group cooking team.
    Johns Creek, Georgia

·
  • Very nice job! If you're happy, then that's the important thing. Keep up the good work! :)
    ·
  • That looks great!  I will definitely try that.  I've been wanting to buy a packer and pull the point off to make a pastrami.  I just haven't had good luck cooking the flats so I will give your method a go!

Large BGE, Santa Maria Pit, Hasty-Bake Gourmet, MAK One Star Pellet Pooper,  26" Weber, 22" Weber Performer.  Most have custom handles made by me.

http://www.amlwoodart.com

"Just living from one cook to the next"

·
  • henapple said:

@ Dave in Florida...hours per pound? Starting one soon. Thanks.

same question -- total cooking time ? It looks great! btw Go Gators! we sit in North End Zone

·
  • RockosteelRockosteel Posts: 42
    Using your recipe above I produced the best brisket yet for me - thanks
    image.jpg 104.6K
    Charlotte, nc
    ·
  • njlnjl Posts: 797
    When you inject a brisket, do you move the needle around, injecting a bit here, a bit there?  Does a lot of it come squirting back out as soon as you withdraw the needle?
    ·
  • Using your recipe above I produced the best brisket yet for me - thanks
    Looks great and just a good feeling and wonderful tasting when you get one that turns out right.

·
  • njl said:
    When you inject a brisket, do you move the needle around, injecting a bit here, a bit there?  Does a lot of it come squirting back out as soon as you withdraw the needle?
    Yes, I inject in many different places.  I inject with it still in the package, so I haven't really noticed a lot squirting back when I withdraw the needle.  Some...but not a lot.  I think most is coming out and settling in the package which I let the brisket sit in it overnight.

·