Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I might be catching on to this cooking brisket flats

Dave in Florida
Dave in Florida Posts: 1,157
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum
Went to Sam's yesterday and they had two 5.5 lb brisket flats that were just about the same thickness throughout. I did one tonight.

Here it is getting started.

This is exactly what I did.

I injected with this.

2 cups beef stock, 1 tsp salt, 1 tbl worchestire, 1 tbl good bbq rub, 1 stick butter. Simmer 30 min. Inject when cooled. Simple, easy and good.

And let it set in the frig overnight before cooking.

Dizzy Pig Course Rub, and three chunks of hickory. 250 at the grid NOT the dome. Dome was about 260 - 265. Indirect with a drip pan that was half water half apple juice to prevent the juice from burning. Sprayed with apple juice about every 30 mins. Once internal reached 170, I place brisket in an aluminum pan added just enough apple juice to cover the bottom of the pan and sealed the pan with foil. Place back on the egg and bumped the temp to 300 at the grid. Once temp reached 205, I pulled it and removed it from the pan which now has a lot of juices. This thing was like a full sponge. Juices was just a bubbling out where the temp. probe had been. I double foiled it adding some of the juice from the pan into the foil pouch. Placed it in a cooler for 3 hours.

Sliced it up and this thing was extremely juicy, tender and great flavor. If I had to find something wrong with this brisket it was the smoke ring was not as thick and pronounced as my other briskets and the bark was not as hard. I can live with those.

I'm hoping you can see the juiciness in this pic. This is directly after the cut, I did not brush it with juice or anything. It is VERY juicy.

I will be very happy if I can duplicate this success again anytime I do a brisket flat. In my wife and my mind, this one is as close to perfect as I had ever made or eaten.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!

Comments