Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We’re halfway through National Barbecue Month and loving every minute of it. We hope you’ve had some time to try out some new recipes and enjoy a few old favorites as well. If you’d a couple tips on smoking meat, check out our Smoking Basics Publication. For delicious recipes, try Justin Moore’s BBQ Shrimp, Greg Bate’s BBQ Dr. Pepper Chicken, Bobby Flay’s Chicken Thighs or Dr. BBQ’s new Maple Brined Pork Chops. Need dessert? Finish off your meal with some Planked Twinkies. Have a great rest of May & get ready for some fun summer happenings!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Red Wine BarrelStaves

Have anyone used Red Wine Barrel Staves to smoke on the green egg?
·

Comments

• calikingcaliking Posts: 6,775
    I saw some on sale at Williams-Sonoma. I wondered the same thing. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
    ·
  • ChubbyChubby Posts: 2,790

yep!!

I usually chunk in 3' pieces them and use them for shorter cooks...Mainly Prime Rib, or Cowboy Ribeyes!

You could of course use them for longer cooks as well...basically  starting with the thought they are essentially white oak...(soaked in wine of course)...lol!!

Evans

·
  • Bob923Bob923 Posts: 16
    Thanks Chubby
    ·
  • smokesniffersmokesniffer Posts: 1,718
    Saw some at World Market on our holidays. Now we are back home and back in the saddle.. :-?
    ·
  • bud812bud812 Posts: 1,399
    They work good, I buy wine barrels & cut them up.

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

·
  • MO_EgginMO_Eggin Posts: 128
    Yes, I've used them, but didn't find much if any additional flavor beyond just oak.  There is a bit of wine smell to the smoke initially, but it didn't last.   
    LBGE, St. Louis, MO
    ·
  • smokesniffersmokesniffer Posts: 1,718

@bud 812 did you buy your barrels from a local winery, or???

·

@bud 812 did you buy your barrels from a local winery, or???

Yeah, I get them for $40 a barrel. It's nice living in a wine producing area.

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

·
  • Little StevenLittle Steven Posts: 27,285
    Bob923 said:
    Have anyone used Red Wine Barrel Staves to smoke on the green egg?

Dude! They are totally unsafe because of the tanins in the wine. Send them to me and I will dispose of them in an environmentally responsible fashion.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
    No can do brother, I drink all the tannins before I smoke them. But thanks for the offer. But it's a hell of a lot cheeper than buying smoke wood.

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

·