Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Prime Rib Help

Options
Cooked a prime rib at Christmas that was awesome, wanting to cook one for Mother's Day but can't find one. One butcher told me it was the same as a bone in whole rib eye. Really confused on what to cook any suggestions. The picture is what I cooked at Christmasimageimage

Comments

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Standing rib? It really is a bone in ribeye.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Little Steven
    Options
    I have been trying to find a free chart with cut numbers. Standing rib or rib roast are the terms I know. It is cut from  the 6th through the 13th vertebrae as I remember. Sorry

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Chubby
    Chubby Posts: 2,955
    Options

You're right Little Steven!

I like it off the front...(the Chuck end) of the Primal...if I can get it!

I think it's got better flavor and is definitely more tender in my book...

(though you do have a little more fat to deal with!)

I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • Little Steven
    Options

Hey Chubby,

Don't they call that one a seven bone? The chuck one I mean.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Chubby
    edited May 2013
    Options

Yes...some do!

As a  proper "Full Prime Rib". The first three ribs will usually give you the "Cap"...(the half moon shaped piece wrapped around the front of the rib eye.). The one I pictured is a 3-7 bone...(or back half or the "Full Prime Rib" mentioned above.

Notice how small( thin toward the outer edge) the "Cap" becomes as you travel back the rib cage?

this is my favorite cut if I have the option to have a one cut...all the benefits of the "Chuck" end of the "Full Prime Rib"...without as much fat as the first 3 Bones.

Definitions and "Customary" cuts vary by Butcher and Geography for sure!!!

Please tell me I'm still making sense....lol!!!

Capice'?

I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Dude, I don't speak italian

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Have the butcher remove the bones but tie them back on for the cook. Simply cut the twine loose when done. No more bones. All the flavor no hassle.
  • Cookinslow
    Cookinslow Posts: 45
    Options
    Thanks for all the input
  • Chubby
    edited May 2013
    Options
    Thanks for all the input

The pics from your Christmas cook look like a "Bone in Ribeye...aka "Prime Rib" as was mentioned by others, and your Butcher.

If you can get him to cut/get you at least a  "Choice Bone in Ribeye"...then you're good to go!!

Good Luck!