Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Egg is smoking like crazy still after an hour with nothing but lump?

jls9595
jls9595 Posts: 1,533
edited May 2013 in EggHead Forum
is that normal?  usually after it has stabilized it doesn't smoke unless I add some wood.  is it just my lump?  there did seem to be some dust in it, could that be it?
In Manchester, TN
Vol For Life!

Comments

• egger ave
    egger ave Posts: 721
    white smoke? Any grease or fat drippings in the BGE or on the grill?
    1 Large BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Minimax BGE, Original wife and 3 dogs living in the heart of BBQ country in Round Rock Texas. 

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."

Albert Einstein
  • jls9595
    white yes, and yes thats a possibility.  would that cause it to smoke for an hour and a half?  I guess I should have cleaned it out but I just added some lump on top of what was still in there.
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    What was your last cook?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • egger ave
    egger ave Posts: 721
    if you added smoking chips or chunks during the last cook that will also make it smoke for a while. 
    1 Large BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Minimax BGE, Original wife and 3 dogs living in the heart of BBQ country in Round Rock Texas. 

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."

Albert Einstein
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    I would open the dome and let 'er rip for a while. You won't overshoot your temp by too much and if you are setting up for a big piece of meat it will bring the temp down.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• jls9595
    last cook was pork shoulder, didn't use a drip pan but used foil on top of the plate setter so it caught most of the grease. I did use some hickory but I didn't notice any left when I stirred up the coals to get the ash to fall through.  That could be it though if there was some in there still.  I just hadn't had it smoke like that before.
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
  • cajunduck
    cajunduck Posts: 203
    What brand of lump?
    Geaux Tigers!! West Monroe, Louisiana
  • egret
    egret Posts: 4,168
    You have a piece of charcoal in there that's not fully carbonized. Open the dome and poke around until you find the one the one(s) that are still smoking. You must get these out or let them burn out before putting any food in there. If you catch these pretty early on, oftentimes they'll even catch fire when the dome is opened.
  • jls9595
    I poked around some and I did find the piece that looked to be the culprit, took it out and all is good. Baby backs been on for almost 2 hours now and I'm gettin hungry.  Good call egret and thanks everyone for the comments.  Kebroak is the brand, got it on Amazon because it had good reviews but the bag allows the black dust to come through, you touch the bag and your hand is black.  I have used the Big Green Egg brand exclusively for the last year or so and this is the first time I have tried another brand.  Second cook with it and I guess I just happened to get a bad piece.
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
  • last cook was pork shoulder, didn't use a drip pan but used foil on top of the plate setter so it caught most of the grease. I did use some hickory but I didn't notice any left when I stirred up the coals to get the ash to fall through.  That could be it though if there was some in there still.  I just hadn't had it smoke like that before.
    This is your issue. do what steven said and burn it off. You have to use a drip pan with butts or it totally messes up the inside of your egg. It will seep through too and come out of the pores. It's really nasty. Drip pan, please :)
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • jls9595
    yep, that could have been some of it too.  it did seem like there was one piece of lump that was smoking more but it was right on the side where some of the drippings may have run down.  whatever it was it resolved after about 2 hours.  I didn't have anything to use as a drip pan last time, I normally use one.  
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
  • jls9595 said:
    yep, that could have been some of it too.  it did seem like there was one piece of lump that was smoking more but it was right on the side where some of the drippings may have run down.  whatever it was it resolved after about 2 hours.  I didn't have anything to use as a drip pan last time, I normally use one.  

either go get one at the grocery store (9.5 x 13.5 ish) work perfect and they are like $2 Or just make one out of foil. I now use the foil ring from CGS and it works fine. As long as i have foil, I'm good.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX