Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Going Spatchcock .chicken tomorrow...2nd cook.

MJG
MJG Posts: 598
I plan to fire up some Spatchcock chicken tomorrow. It will be my 2nd cook. Any advice as far as size to feed 3 adults and 2 kids? I was thinking that 2 smaller birds may be better than 1 larger one. Also, is it best to go direct or indirect with this? Sorry for all the questions. I am new @ this.
Large Big Green Egg in a nest. North Shore of Boston.

Comments

• BBQMaven
    BBQMaven Posts: 1,041
    I cook direct, raised grate, at 300. I let my egg get to 300 and stabilize for 30 mins before bird goes on.Skin side up and most of the time don't flip.  
    Kent Madison MS
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,829
    2 small birds guarantees plenty for everybody and leftovers.  I'd go that route.  Some cook at higher temps than @BBQMaven but 300 is great too.  Some put the skin down for a while.  Some cook spatchcock indirect.  It's all good.  Don't get lost in the weeds.  If you have a thermometer cook until the breast meat is 160 and the dark meat is 180. If you don't have a thermometer, just cook it until it is done.  It will be great.  Take pics and let us know how it went.  After you have done a dozen or so you'll have your own preferences that you can share with the rest of us.  Enjoy the journey.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    All the above work, I like raised grid direct at 400, cook bone side down until temps stated by Foghorn usually takes 50min to an 1 hour. I found smaller birds to be more tender so 2 small would be better than 1 large. I am doing 2 smaller birds this evening as well for 5 adults.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    This is one cook where I don't think it matters too much if you go direct or indirect.  The part of the bird that is facing the heat is the inside cavity, so you don't really have to worry about the meat burning.  If you go direct just make sure the wings are not flopping out into the direct heat.  
    I like to to go raised direct with a pan of veggies under the bird. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

•   Foghorn said:
    If you have a thermometer cook until the breast meat is 160 and the dark meat is 180. If you don't have a thermometer, just cook it until it is done. 
    What's the best way to accomplish this? I assume that the breast will hit 160 before the thighs hit 190, so how can you keep the breast from overcooking while getting the thighs to temp?
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    edited May 2013
    I cook mine with the thighs towards the dome hinge. That seams to be a hotspot in my egg.
    Some people will ice the breast for a while before putting on the egg. The thought is to drop the temp in the breast allowing a closer finish time of the 2 meats.

BTW - I go to 180 in the thigh.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Two small birds is the ticket because it gives more selection to each person, and the leftover's ain't bad neither? :D
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873

Foghorn said:
    If you have a thermometer cook until the breast meat is 160 and the dark meat is 180. If you don't have a thermometer, just cook it until it is done. 

What's the best way to accomplish this? I assume that the breast will hit 160 before the thighs hit 190, so how can you keep the breast from overcooking while getting the thighs to temp?

Mine usually finish about the same time. I position the dark meat toward the back of the Egg. It cooks a little hotter back there.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • jeroldharter
    jeroldharter Posts: 556
    I would do two standard chickens. I do mine at 350 indirect, rubbed in olive oil, thick with spice rub, and dusted lightly with corn starch. That tray of vegetables in one of the photos underneath the chickens is a great side dish - yukon golds, onion, mushrooms, peppers. Zucchini gets too soggy for me.

I put the thermometer in the breast, shoot or 160, and don't worry about the dark meat. It is usually just right. If I do two birds on the XL, I try to position the breasts toward the center and the dark meat to the edges where it is hotter.

If you want really moist chicken, you can wrap the bird in foil, add 1-2 cups of BBQ sauce, wrap in towels, and place in a cooler for 30 minutes. That is a handy way to keep the chicken warm if you are timing a cook and preparing other dishes.
  • Justacookin
    Justacookin Posts: 291
    Just got back from cub they had whole chickens .79 a pound and a small one for .49 cents going to do them tomorrow the veggys under looks great.
    XL & waiting for my Mini Max Bloomington MN.