Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Traeger Grills

Options
IlliniEgger
IlliniEgger Posts: 53
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Looking for some help regarding the Trager grill/smoker. I have a friend of mine who is looking at purchasing a BGE and the dealer he went to is telling him that the Traeger is a much better grill/smoker.[p]Of course that is blasphemy to me, as a staunch BGE afficinado! But, I don't know enough about the Traeger to tell him why. He has tasted food off my BGE, which prompted him to want one. Just wondering what the pros/cons are if anybody know.[p]Thanks in advance for the help.[p]IlliniEgger

Comments

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    IlliniEgger,
    their own website says "high:450"[p]um
    hold on a second...
    HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA [p]ok, whew, i finally got my breath back.
    after you think about that for a second, take a look at the augur, etc. all the stuff that needs foolin with.[p]dunno
    simple is better, i think.
    well, simple AND 900 degrees

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Souldaddy
    Options
    IlliniEgger,[p]Well, for one, the Traeger won't get much above 450 degrees.[p]Can't grill on a Traeger. It's all indirect heat.[p]And then the biggest reason, at least for me.......the Traeger employees are some of the rudest, most stuck up, arrogant people you'll ever meet in the bbq industry. The most notorious being the jackoff that calls himself "Mr. BBQ". [p]I absolutely can't stand that company.[p]
  • mollyshark
    mollyshark Posts: 1,519
    Options
    stike,[p]That's not even oven broiling temperature. What do they do..bake a steak? Or just go out? That makes no sense at all.[p]mShark
  • Toy Man
    Toy Man Posts: 416
    Options
    Well it is very easy to use - just dial in the temp and walk away. Some models also have large grids. Wood smoking is limited to the pellets available but it was a fairly large choice as I remember. Also requires an electric outlet.[p]Other objections noted in the previous posts.[p]Toy man
  • badbruce
    badbruce Posts: 353
    Options
    Greetings Souldaddy,
    Thank you so very much for ....
    your opinion, undiluted & right to the point.
    Far too often I get watered down versions of what people think when they are trying to be PC.
    Hysterical.
    Cheers to you,
    bruce

• badbruce
    badbruce Posts: 353
    Options
    Greetings IlliniEgger,
    A year ago after buying my 1st large egg, I was so impressed, I bought a second. All the while the salesman was giving me the hard sell on a $2500 stainless w/ceramic when I specifically requested delivery times on an egg.
    Ask your friend, 'Who ya gonna trust? some salesman or a friend.
    Cheers,
    bruce

• Souldaddy
    Options
    badbruce,[p]Sometimes you just gotta tell it like it is.[p]Beers,
    Ryan

• FlaMike
    FlaMike Posts: 648
    Options
    IlliniEgger, A few months ago, I was convinced the Traeger was the best. My local dealer, who also sells high end gassers, and BGE's, had me switched over to the egg in about 10 minutes. He pointed out all the goods and bads of both,(he has an egg at his house), and I bought my large egg that day. I still thank him whenever I pick up another bag or two of lump. He doesn't sell many Traegers. Now I know why. I guess I'm lucky to have an honest dealer.
    Mike

• LasVegasMac
    Options
    FlaMike, ""I guess I'm lucky to have an honest dealer.""[p]What is the old saying? Take care of the customer and they will be back.[p]Purchased both large BGE's through a BBQ Galore here. Nice people but completely clueless. Like Radio Shack, "You got questions, we got blank stares!"[p]My Mom had a medium BGE to start with, then I found this forum...and, well, it's been great ever since![p]LVM

• IlliniEgger,[p]I bought a BGE about 9 years ago. 4 months ago I bought a Traeger. True the traeger doesn't get much hotter then 420 but when I put it on smoke, the grill stays within a degree or two of 200. I have put briskets on at midnight, let them cook for 15 hours and they have turned out wonderful. I tried a whole chicken but it didn't come close to what my BGE can do. I think they both have plus's and minus's.

• ChefRD
    ChefRD Posts: 438
    Options
    Kayo,
    I've never used a Traeger, but I will agree with you. I personally know people who LOVE their gas grills and say charcoal taste's too smokey a lot of the time. So while they admit most of the Egg'd food is better, they still prefer the gasser for some things. They are two entirely different cookers, but each can do some things great for some people.
    I DO prefer the Egg over any gasser and I have three and do not use gas, but I know for many tastes, there can never be just one grill for all the masses. :)

• jwitheld
    jwitheld Posts: 284
    Options
    IlliniEgger,
    challenge him, toe to toe bbq comp.
    there is a place for treagers but can it do better Q?
    i think the sales man gets a commish and egg price dosent leave much room for commish.

• billyg
    billyg Posts: 315
    Options
    It's obvious there are some serious cooking differences. The key to the egg is the taste in the food. As I say to Emeril, "this food is kicked up about three notches" that he can't achieve without using an egg. If you want to compare simialar products, compare Kamado, Primo and the Egg. I choose the Egg after comparing the other products, but I felt that it was apples to apples. I have not regretted it.
  • The Reverand
    Options
    LasVegasMac,[p]At the two BBQ G's that are near me there is another phenomenon I've seen. When I was looking for a platesetter for my BGE I called one store and went into the other. I got the exact same response when I asked about a platesetter; they said something like Oh, we'd have to order it and that would take a long time and besides you'd have to pay shipping. Neither person I talked to wanted to even look up a price. [p]Now I have bought several BBQ Galore gas grills since I lived in California some 18 years ago. I used to be a pretty loyal customer. When I lived in Chicago I bought an Imperial Kamado from BBQG in Phoenix and had it shipped to Chicago. I have spent a lot of money at their stores, starting from the times when they were only in Australia and a few spots in California. I still have a nice stainless steel gas grill under my deck gathering dust. I only use my old IK and my new BGE. I found a nice use for my propane tanks...I bought a Mosquito Magnet, but I digress.[p]What was that you said about "customers" :o)
  • SmokingInMO
    Options
    Kayo,
    Just last weekend I had the egg on an 18 hour cook and held at 250 degrees with little effort at all. Started it up around 9 pm Saturday, had a great nights sleep, and took it off at 3 pm Sunday. No problems holding the egg at a temperature for long periods of time.

• Chef Arnoldi
    Options
    buy the Traeger - you'll use it as a storage bin to keep all the EGGcesories for the BGE that you will buying a few month later. :woohoo:

The BGE is a much more refined smoker making high quality tasting foods that make you look like a gourmet chef and with little effort.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,747
    Options
    IlliniEgger,
    i have no experience with treager grills, however when slow cooking through the winter months on my old steel smoker, fuel consumption was excessive to maintain temps. i used it very little in the winter. with the egg i use it alot thru the winter months, the egg doest seem to know its cold outside and the increase of fuel to maintain temps isnt noticable.

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • ChefRD,
    Traeger is a pellet grill, not gas. It uses wood pellets. Both are good, just what floats your boat. I love my traeger, but would like an egg too!

• mast3quila
    Options
    Speaking of grilling steaks at temps above 500 degrees, their site says this - "By breaking down the complex molecules in meat through charring, cancer-causing substances are formed."[p]Yumm-yumm gimme sum
  • mollyshark
    mollyshark Posts: 1,519
    Options
    MasT3quila,[p]Yeah..I found that living causes death also. But hey.[p]mShark
  • Grate Grills
    Options
    IlliniEgger, I sell both BGE and a pellet grill. ,I have a hard time selling pellet grills for several reasons. The advantages of pellets and the egg are similar but the egg does so much more, with less maint. and in more diverse weather and for less money...makes pellets a hard sell kurt

• J Straus
    J Straus Posts: 54
    Options
    A few other points I want to jump in with.

Obviously people on this list are passionate about the BGE. I stand among them, and have nothing to gain or lose in expressing my opinion. A salesperson needs to make a living selling this kind of stuff.

I have friends who use Traeger for their restaurant, and they like it. It has high capacity, and doesn't need much in the way of attention to use. (BTW, capacity was my only concern before getting a large Egg, and that is NOT an issue as far as I am concerned.) To me, cooking deliberately and consciously is half the fun. The learning curve is a great part of the experience. I have no problem sleeping at night with my egg full of butts chugging away at 225 degrees, so I don't want to make the Egg sound like it's high maintenance. If your friend wants "set and forget", then maybe the metal one is the one for him.

I am a big believer in the ceramic's ability to retain moisture like metal cannot. I also like it's simplicity in design and function and durability. I have never had a problem, but if I ever do, then I am confident that BGE will take care of me.

If your friend is not interested in producing the best pizza, tri-tip, T-Rex'd 2" strip steaks, Spatchcocked Chicken, and burgers and whatnot that he's ever had, then he may have a tough choice. If he likes the above, then it's a no brainer!

Good luck!

Justin
  • ChefRD,[p]The Traeger is not a gas grill. It burns pellets.