Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

need help with cooking bread

I apologize if this is question had been posted a lot-  tried to look at different forums and couldn't figure out if I should post here- anyway--- I just got my Egg yesterday and am trying to cook bread.  You are supposed to add water under the bread to produce steam.  I have the platesetter and tried rigging up something under it- but there has to be a better way.  This Egg is great though- cooked wonderful ribs last night. Any info on this or where to post is welcome.Thanks  Margueritte

Comments

• mb99zz
    mb99zz Posts: 183
    It's hard to tell what these guys did here on this page: http://beecavekitchen.blogspot.com/2011/09/baking-artisan-bread-on-big-green-egg.html

If I had to guess, they put their grate on the ring, put the water pan on the grate (in the middle) and then put the plate setter legs down on the grate.  Maybe? 

Good luck.  Welcome aboard and let us know how it turns out. 
  • CPARKTX
    CPARKTX Posts: 2,095
    You don't really need water because the Egg is enclosed and retains air and moisture....should crust up fine. If you want water, consider cooking loaf inside Dutch oven (on the Egg), that is the method I'm doing this weekend based on Fliur Water Salt Yeast book.
    LBGE & SBGE.  Central Texas.  
  • WokOnMedium
    WokOnMedium Posts: 1,376
    edited May 2013
    Breadtopia.com has a great Dutch oven method, and he goes through it step by step in video.  I don't know what kind of bread your looking for, but I've adapted his method to the Egg, crusty outside, big holes and tender but not soft inside.  Hooked.

Just remember, for baking, your dome is warmer than grate level.  I did platesetter legs up, feet (or spacers), pizza stone and Dutch Oven.  It's been awhile, but I think the method preheats the oven and Dutch Oven at 500, add the dough to the hot DO, cover and bake.  This is where the steaming comes in.  Part way through you remove the lid and reduce the heat.

The Egg cools slower than the oven so I preheated to 550 dome, put the dough in and the lid on and adjusted the vents to lower the temp a bit from the git go.  It may take a couple shots to get it perfected on the Egg, but sooooooo worth it!

This pic is just after I removed the lid so 15-20 min still to go.

• Mgilkey
    Mgilkey Posts: 5

Thanks for the ideas.  I didn't think about using the grate  to support the water.  I rigged up something with a frying pan and used ice cubes as my first attempt with water was not the best.

The bread turned out well- I was using the method in Artisan Bread in 5 Min a Day - think I need to work on the consistency of the dough however as it was a little flat. Will look at the Fluir Salt Yeast book and glad water isnt really needed

I do have a cast iron Wok and the above idea is super.Mine has a glass top  which is probably not a good idea and guess I will have improvise on that part.

Thank you for answering me so quickly.  This is a friendly forum. Will try a pork roast today!

Margueritte

• CigarSmokinEgger
    CigarSmokinEgger Posts: 213
    edited May 2013
    I cook mine in a cast-iron dutch oven combo, deep one on the bottom and shallow on the top; cook covered for 20 minutes to capture the steam then uncovered for another 20-25 minutes, or until desired color is achieved.  Been producing some great looking loaves if I say so myself :)
  • Mgilkey
    Thanks - that looks great!! You put a top on the larger one - right? What type of Dutch oven do I look for?
  • A 4 quart Dutch oven is best, but you can get away with a 5 quart. You can get a cheaper one with a plastic lid topper and replace the plastic with a metal drawer pull from the hardware store. I've also made baguettes on the egg that were excellent. My set-up was kind of complicated (involving a spider after market accessory and a wok filled with sand as a heat sink - I poured a cup in water into the sand to produce a steamy environment) but I have seen recipes that suggest simply spritzing the loaf with water prior to baking. It's worth a try if you don't want to invest in equipment.
  • Mgilkey
    Hi- Thanks so much for your reply. I looked at your site tis morning was so impressed. The more complicated the better - I like the process. Thanks for your ideas
  • I have all the pics from that cook, but never posted it... Maybe tomorrow. It was my first time to cook baguettes on the egg. I cooked one in my oven at the same time & everyone thought the bread on the egg was far better. Amazing crust and flavor!
  • dougbacker
    dougbacker Posts: 277
    I did this PS legs down, pizza stone, corn meal then the bread

--------------------------------------------------------
    South Dakota
    KBØQBT
    Large BGE, 
    Mini BGE
    36" Blackstone Griddle
    Phoenix Gasser
    Cyber Q WIFI

And a deck box full of toy's

• Mgilkey

That looks great!   I know I can cook on the platesetter directly.  Does the pizza stone on top of it help or is it just easier for cleaning?  I have a fairly thin pizza stone and know the BGE stone is fairly thick and wonder if this makes a difference as well. 

Will try again on the bread as mine was not the best- yet!