Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope you had a hoppy Easter and are ready to spring into warm weather cooking mode! There’s nothing better than spending time outdoors with the sweet aroma of fresh cooked Ribs. Baseball season is also underway, so it's the perfect time to try out some chicken wing variations! We have Jamaican Jerk, Lemon Pepper, Fired-Up Wings and even a Whiskey Onion and Chicken Steak if wings aren't your thing. Bon appetit!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Spacers for drip pan

Just curious, what does everyone use as spacers between the drip pan and the plate setter for low and slow cooks?
·

Comments

• Little StevenLittle Steven Posts: 27,258
    1/2" copper tee fittings

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
  • lousubcaplousubcap Posts: 6,042
    BGE feet-from the by-gone era.
    Louisville
    ·
  • ChubbsChubbs Posts: 4,813
    The old ceramic feet. They need to bring these back. 
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
    ·
  • SmokinDAWG82SmokinDAWG82 Posts: 1,704
    Pieces of square tubing
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
    ·
  • SpringramSpringram Posts: 417
    I use my ceramic BGE feet but rolled up balls of foil will work too.

Springram
    Spring, Texas
    LBGE and Mini
    ·
  • travisstricktravisstrick Posts: 4,774
    But a cookie cooling rack. They cost about $10 or less and are perfect.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0027SH7B8/ref=mp_s_a_1?qid=1367588606&sr=1-7&pi=SL75
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
    ·
  • bbqlearnerbbqlearner Posts: 714

You need a spacer? I didn't have any and usually, just set the pan on the platesetter. Maybe I'm missing something here.

Houston, TX - Buddy LBGE, Don SBGE, Tiny Mini & Shiny Momma Pitts n Spitts

·
    Did it help that I foil the pan? Maybe it reduces the heat conduction? I've never had to put a spacer and so far, have never had issue with it.

·
  • SkiddymarkerSkiddymarker Posts: 6,572
    Did it help that I foil the pan? Maybe it reduces the heat conduction? I've never had to put a spacer and so far, have never had issue with it.
    Most low and slows you may get away with it. For a 400 roast or chicken the drip pan can get a bunch in it and if it scorches, not good. 
    I use the Dollar Store cooling racks, cheap and works very well, or some old tile strips. Anything to get air between the pan and the setter. 
    Delta B.C. - Vee-Gan: old Indian word for poor hunter. 
    ·
    Most low and slows you may get away with it. For a 400 roast or chicken the drip pan can get a bunch in it and if it scorches, not good. 
    I use the Dollar Store cooling racks, cheap and works very well, or some old tile strips. Anything to get air between the pan and the setter. 
    Thanks Skiddy. I will keep this in mind.

·
  • GQuizGQuiz Posts: 680
    Yes , thanks Skiddy. Never considered it before today.

XL BGE; Schertz TX by way of Stow OH. #egghead4life
    ·
  • rabdoggrabdogg Posts: 42
    Mason jar rings.
    Green Eggin' in Lafayette, Louisiana
    ·
  • Austin  EggheadAustin Egghead Posts: 3,314
    Anything that is handy including rolled HDAF.
    Eggin in SW "Keep it Weird" TX
    ·
  • Mattman3969Mattman3969 Posts: 4,299
    7 yr old BGE feet. The funny thing is I really never knew what purpose these things had till I started reading here.

-----------------------------------------

Large BGE. Small BGE Henderson, Ky.
    ·
  • loveTheEggloveTheEgg Posts: 365
    if u have 3 pieces of small stack stone laying around that will work. That's what I use and it works great! 
    Brandon, MS
    ·
  • quackerquacker Posts: 10
    I just use 3 - 4 rolled up bits of aluminum foil. Cheap and easy.
    ·
  • Charlie tunaCharlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    I have been "in violation" of the rules, because i am allowing the dripping to burn up when hitting the foil i have laying on top of the platesetter............
    ·
  • SpringramSpringram Posts: 417
    But a cookie cooling rack. They cost about $10 or less and are perfect. http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0027SH7B8/ref=mp_s_a_1?qid=1367588606&sr=1-7&pi=SL75
    Absolutely brilliant.

Springram
    Spring, Texas
    LBGE and Mini
    ·
  • JustacookinJustacookin Posts: 237

I like the cooling rack idea.

XL & waiting for my Mini Max Bloomington MN.
    ·