Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Picnic Shoulder for Pulled Pork?

Folks, Has anyone done a picnic shoulder for pulled pork? Any advice? Ice

Comments

• Cookbook_Chip
    Cookbook_Chip Posts: 1,299
    Yep! Cook the same as a butt to 195-200f and eat!
    Lovin' my Large Egg since May 2012 (Richmond, VA) ... and makin' cookbooks at https://FamilyCookbookProject.com
    Stoker II wifi, Thermapen, and a Fork for plating photo purposes
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 354
    Yes, you can. It's OK but tastes a little hammy. That said a whole shoulder is really good (butt and picnic). Best I've done is two butts and a picnic.
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    Is it raw, unsmoked, or brined and smoked? Should not be a problem, just taste a little different.
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • mokadir
    mokadir Posts: 115
    I've done both picnic ham (ie shoulder) and butts and I can be sure that you would not be able to tell them apart after rubbed, smoked and pulled.
    Delaware Valley, PA Large BGE, CGS adjustable rig, iQue110, High-Que grate
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Fred19Flintstone Posts: 8,168
    I can tell the difference, but it's all good!  Light it up!
    Flint, Michigan
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    The picnic is sweeter...but still really good.  I did a butt and picnic once and took a vote and the picnic actually won by a small margin. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• milesbrown4
    milesbrown4 Posts: 314
    Absolutely agree - get it to 195-200 and its all good.  Makes a good heap for a family, anyhow.
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Fred19Flintstone Posts: 8,168
    The picnic is sweeter...but still really good.  I did a butt and picnic once and took a vote and the picnic actually won by a small margin. 
    I always get butts for pulled pork, but a while ago picnic were on sale and I think my inner cheapskate took over for me.  I prefer the butt, but the taste of the picnic was good.  The skin turned out rubbery.  I was going to crisp it up but my back was turned and one of my Mom's dogs nabbed it.  Was it wrong of me to hope it choked on it?
    Flint, Michigan
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    Kroger had picnic's on sale last week, @fred19flintstone my inner cheapskate as well was tempted, but the skin and look of what was available turned me off.  And, Kroger does 99 cents a pound on butts pretty often, I keep at least 3 frozen for emergency feeding of the masses 

XLBGE 
  • BigGreenBBQ
    BigGreenBBQ Posts: 109

I have only done butts but have eaten both.  I agree on the "hammy" taste to picnic.  I have also heard that in the south -- picnic is the king.  Picnic is also supposed to have more bone in it and many think the more bone the more flavor. You could always use the extra skin for cracklings...

• Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    "FRESH" picnic ham cooks the same as a boston pork butt, but has more fat in it and tastes like boston pork butt with less bark due to the fat. Thats always been my experience with them. They are a cheaper cut, but when you consider the fat content, the boston butt is the better deal .