Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lighting XLBGE Question!!!!!!!

Options
ok i have a XLBGE and i use the electric starter...my question is this after the middle is red with coals is it truly ready to cook or am i supposed to wait untillthe whole box is hot before i put my meat on...i did my first cook yesterday just hamburgers and i played with the temp contrlos witch are awesome by the way....but it was only hot in the middle someone please help me!!!!!
"Ask not what your Egg can do for you, but what you can do for your egg" 1LBG 1XLBG , Grilling, JimBeam, and Life....What else is there??!!!!!

Comments

• YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    I have an XL as well.  I usually light the lump in more than one spot.  Once it gets to my desired temp, and the smoke is clear, that's when I put on the food.

I also, depending on the cook will build an indirect fire, off to the side of the firebox and will only light that in one spot.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053
    Options
    I use a Bernzamatic TS8000 to light my lump.  I only light the area below where I'm cooking.  So, if I'm doing a single steak on one side of the grill and want to do something indirect like a baked potatoe on the half moon stone on the other half, I only light 2 spots near each other on the direct side.  If I'm doing a ton of burgers or using the whole grate area, I will light about 10 spots equally around the whole base.  For anything cooked over 350 degrees, I always start with the bottom vent wide open and the daisy wheel off.  Once I hit about 400 dome temp I dial back the lower vent until the smoke smells good - just a few minutes and even less if reusing the left over lump from the last cook.  Then I let it stabilize at the temp I want - a few more minutes and start cooking.

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• Plano_JJ
    Plano_JJ Posts: 448
    Options
    Get you some Rutland Fire Starters and use at least three in a triangle pattern to light it. I have the electric starter as well and I'm not too impressed with its ability to light the XL. To answer your question, I used to leave mine for about 10 min, the coals were red but the rest of the lump on the outside wasn't lit.
  • QDude
    QDude Posts: 1,052
    Options
    I have an XL and I only light one spot with a Weber starter cube.  Once it gets to temp with clear smoke it is good to go.  It can take 30 minutes or so with this method but that is not a problem for me.

Northern Colorado Egghead since 2012.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

• travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Options
    I light 3 spots in a large triangle. I control how hot it gets by how large I allow the glowing spots to get before I close her down.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,836
    Options

I vary how I light it (with firestarters) depending on what I am cooking.  Yesterday I wanted it around 300 for cedar plank salmon and was not in a rush so I used 1 starter in the center and put the daisy wheel on adjusted to where I know it will be about 300 and went for a 45 minute run.  When I returned it was exactly where I needed it to be.  I also had a hot spot directly over the lit coals where I could throw on some chicken breasts at the end of the cook.

If I want to do burgers that cover the entire grill surface I have used up to 4 firestarters to get up to temp quickly with the whole surface being over direct heat.

With an electric starter it is not really an option to light multiple places simultaneously, but I wonder if you could get two places pretty well lit in about 12 - 16 minutes by doing 6-8 minutes per spot.

I used to think that uniform heat distribution across the entire grill surface was 1) desirable and 2) the mark of a good grill.  At this point I have come to the conclusion that for the majority of cooks having some temperature variability around the grill is best so you can be cooking/warming/searing as needed. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Black_Badger
    Black_Badger Posts: 1,182
    Options
    I'll throw in my two cents from my experience with the XL as well. 

When I started using the Egg I used a chimney to start a batch of lump, got that the glowing hot then dumped it out over the top of the rest of the lump. It worked well and gave me uniform heat, but I often had a hard time locking in below ~275 and was using a lot of lump. 

For the last month or so I've been starting in 2-3 places by stuffing a rolled paper towel, dosed with olive oil down into the lump and starting with a match. I leave the top and bottom wide open with the lid closed until I get close to temp then pop the DFMT on and regulate temp. Usually takes 15 min or so to get clear smoke. I've also started clearing an area at the front of the box so I can see at least two holes in the bottom of the firebox. This method seems faster to temp, easier to regulate at ~235-275 and less messy (no loading the chimney). I also get an area right in the front where I can park things to flip, check temp, etc without direct heat on my hands or the meat. So far it seems to work very well. 

Experiment, you'll find something that works great for you too. 

Cheers -
    B_B 
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
  • EggHeadinFlorida
    Options

When I started using the Egg I used a chimney to start a batch of lump, got that the glowing hot then dumped it out over the top of the rest of the lump.

This... I use this method for direct heat when cooking chicken thighs, drummets etc.  Just make sure when you open the lid to tend to the meat its quick! When the entire batch of lump is lit, it will get away from you.
    XL bge, Mini max & 36 BS Griddle.
  • Jscott
    Jscott Posts: 174
    Options
    I've got an XL and have used the same electric starter for 4 years. Yes, I know I'm on borrowed time.
    I leave it in there until I see a flame come out of the lump. Then take it out and spread the coals around as you like. Works fine!
  • zosobao5150
    zosobao5150 Posts: 133
    Options
    Me use weed burner when me want fast fire and high temp, otherwise...me light in one spot with Weber starter cube.

http://www.harborfreight.com/propane-torch-91033.html
    XL BGE
  • GQuiz
    GQuiz Posts: 701
    Options
    For a cook less than 2 hours, I use an electric starter in the middle. One I reach temp and have clear smoke, I cook. For longer cooks, I put the electric starter in the front. Reach temp with clear smoke and go to town. Last night, I went 13 hours after lighting in the front. I doubt the lump could be stretched that long by starting in the middle.

XL BGE; Schertz TX by way of Stow OH. #egghead4life
  • Black_Badger
    Black_Badger Posts: 1,182
    Options
    Hey @GQuiz, that's a really interesting thought, start at the front where you have the most reliable airflow and let it burn back from there. Do you have any issue with the temp creeping up as the fire burns back and gets exposed to more fuel? 

Cheers -
    B_B
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
  • PlanoPokes79
    PlanoPokes79 Posts: 207
    Options
    Just 2oz of 91% rubbing alcohol and wait 30 seconds then throw in a match and 20 minutes later....it is ready!!
  • jeroldharter
    jeroldharter Posts: 556
    Options
    I use the electric firestarter in the center. Depending on ambient temperature, it takes 8-15 minutes to get going. Then I close the egg but leave the vents open. 

I let the dome temp get ~50 degrees above my desired temp and then put the daisywheel on to bring the temp down. Then I progressively close the lower vent to regulate the temperature (or add the DigiQ to take over).
  • GQuiz
    GQuiz Posts: 701
    Options
    The temp stayed steady. Start in the middle and it burns in all directions. Burns more quicker. The front cuts in a line to the back and lasts longer. At least it does for an indirect cook.

XL BGE; Schertz TX by way of Stow OH. #egghead4life
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    Options

You're doing the right thing, electric starters are the best.  Leave it in for 8 minutes, pull it out and GENTLY stir the coals.  This technique works for every type of cook.  I wait about 10 minutes after I pull the electric starter out and you're good to go.
    Packerland, Wisconsin