Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket time!

GQuiz
GQuiz Posts: 701
35 mph winds.. Low 40's... Is this Texas? Perfect night to do up about 30 lbs of brisket. Trying simple approach, salt and pepper with hickory chips. We'll see...

XL BGE; Schertz TX by way of Stow OH. #egghead4life

Comments

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Good Luck, outside temp won't bother the egg, you on the other hand might need some help keeping warm, I'd switch from beer to bourbon. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • GQuiz
    Already sipping on some Canadian whiskey... Pike Creek. Too bad it's a school night. Stuff tastes real good tonight.

• Plano_JJ
    Plano_JJ Posts: 448
    I'd be interested in the outcome of this cook, doing one this weekend
  • sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
    Looks great!  I'm going simple this weekend to.  Any injections?  I assume just salt'n'peppa.

Interested in outcome too.  Hopefully the Pike Creek didn't get the best fo you :)

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • GQuiz
    Stalled at 154, then 169. 12 hours on Egg. Have to get to work, so I foiled and stuck in the oven at 325. Major foul... yes. Bbut I have to shower out the smoke and make a living. The lid stayed shut with grate temp of 235-250 for 10 hours. Neil let you know how it tasted.

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,170
    @GQuiz-based on historical brisket behavior, with your grate temp I always plan for around 1.75-2 hrs/#.  And some run short and some run long but using that as a guide can give you a good guesstimate as to when it/they will finish.  If running faster, the FTC gets you to the slice and eat time-if slow, then dialing up the temp will help punch it home.  Just an observation-YMMV-enjoy the finished product.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Awesomeness right here. This type of thread makes me want a XL.

What time are you coming home from work? Foiled in the oven at 325 kinda scares me if I'm being honest. If you're working a 8 hour day, you may come back to some overdone brisket.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • GQuiz
    I'm serving it for lunch at work. I figured 10 hours for 3 8 pounders. I put them in the oven to get them over 200, FTC'd them and brought them to work. We'll see how they taste.

• cazzy
    Oh, ok...I'm following now! Good stuff! Everyone will love it!!
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Must have been good!
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,795
    edited May 2013

It's going... going...     GONE!  IT'S OUTA HERE!  A HOME RUN!

Congratulations!

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Man...you had that thing loaded up. Welcome to the K.I.S.S. Brisket Club. We don't need no stinking injections, marinades or fancy rubs round these parts!

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• cazzy
    edited May 2013
    That's awesome! When you're sold out of meat, you know you're doing something right!!
  • Plano_JJ
    Plano_JJ Posts: 448
    Cool, how long and what temp?
  • GQuiz
    12 hours on Egg at 250. Meat stalled, so I did one hour in oven, wrapped in foil to get internal temp to 202-205. Used hickory chunks interspersed through Stubbs Lump. Best results yet.