Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Merry Christmas and may your holiday be filled with delicious food and loved ones...to help you devour the food! Our Holiday Entertaining Guide can help if you’re still making a Christmas menu. If you’re looking for fun, last minute holiday activities, check out EGGcellent Sugar Cookies, BGE Cake Pops, Santa Hat Brownies, Pig Candy or Holiday Drinks! See you in the New Year EGGheads!

The 17th Annual EGGtoberfest was amazing - here are the highlights Click Here

Peach smoke, Ribs, Dizzy Dust?

Im cooking three racks of St. Louis ribs for May the 4th's movie marathon.  I found some peach wood at my local BBQ shop and i want to try it out! But im unsure of the flavor profile.  So First...

1.Does peach smoke and Ribs mix? (Side note: What about peach wood and pork shoulder?)
2. Is there a Dizzy Dust that would work better with the peach smoke?
3. Apple cider in the foil (Doing 3.2.1 method)?
4. Should i sauce them up or leave them unsauced(done in the last 20 minutes of cook usually.

Thanks Peeps!

Comments

• SmokeyPittSmokeyPitt Posts: 5,131
    I have not tried peach wood, but I don't see why it shouldn't go great with ribs.  I have tried apple and cherry and they were both great, so why not.  

I wouldn't expect it to add a much of a sweetness to the meat, so I think the same rub and sauce you use in the path should be fine.  I suppose if you want to add a "theme" to it you could use peach cider and then mix some peach preserves with your sauce to make a nice glaze ;)

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg wing. 
    2014 Wing King's Apprentice
  • gdenbygdenby Posts: 4,304
    The peach I've used worked pretty well for everything. Fairly mild. I tried using it green as well as seasoned, because I'd read that the green wood smoke would leave a peach flavor. I didn't notice any. I would expect it to work well w. DD.

Cider works well. No matter what you use for moisture, be sure and retrieve the fluid from the foil, and brush it back on the ribs. Otherwise a lot of the rub and smoke flavor is just washed away.

If you are going to sauce them, only put on at the end so the sauce warms up but doesn't burn.  Better yet, heat the sauce in a pan, and brush it on if you want sauced ribs, right before you eat them.
  • GriffinGriffin Posts: 6,632
    Looking forward to hear what you think of it when you try it. I got some recently but haven't used it.

Richardson, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• My brother is a peach fan, so of course I had to try it.  It's worked well on a butt, spatch chicken, and turkey so I would assume it would work on ribs.  It wouldn't be my number one choice for any of the above, as noted above it is on the mild side, but it was good.  It's just like anything else, to each his/her own.

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014

• GK59GK59 Posts: 480

I tried some peach chips last weekend on some bb ribs.Didn' notice to much flavor.

But the Smoke. I thought I had one of our roofing kettles from work with coal tar pitch going. Thought the FD was going to show.

Smitty's Kid's BBQ

Bay City,MI

• MrCookingNurseMrCookingNurse Posts: 3,835
    Myron Mixon uses peach. Don't know if that's a great thing, but you can't argue his success.

LBGE & SBGE (big momma and pat)
  • mountaindewbassmountaindewbass Posts: 1,681

Thanks All. Yeah i recently picked up different woods to give them a shot. Peach and Orange chunks are my newest addition.  I was hoping it would add a sweet peachy type taste to the ribs...ribs really arent that thick so i didnt think it would need be a strong wood like mesquite or hickory..but it sounds like maybe it does in order for the flavor of the wood to come through.  Ill still give it a shot, but i may put in more chunks since people are saying its not to heavy.  IM always afraid of Over smoking meat....but thus far i have only over smoked appetizers and chicken..so i digress.

• Peach and Orange chunks are my newest addition.

i saw orange chunks when i was recently at a Cabelas.  Didn't get any (got pecan and cherry instead).  Let me know what you think about it when you've used it.

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014

• U_tardedU_tarded Posts: 1,223
    its great on pork.  i usually do ribs with peach and john henry apple chipotle, or bad byrons.  its sweet like all other fruit woods, a bit stronger than apple.  its good on chops, brats, chicken, ribs butts.  i use it more than i use apple anymore.