Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Adjustable Rig w/ Extender and Sliding Racks

Looking at this setup for my LBGE but having a hard time pulling the trigger.

Do any of you that have this setup care to chime in on what you like/love about it?  Or something you wish was done better?

Is it easy to use all the advertised features?  Or am I better off to save some money and just get a Woo to go with my plate setter?

Thanks!

Comments

• Fred19Flintstone
    Fred19Flintstone Posts: 8,168
    If you pull the trigger, you will never regret it.
    Flint, Michigan
  • EvansEgger
    EvansEgger Posts: 54
    edited May 2013
    That is my setup and I love it.
    Go Hogs Go
  • wibrewer
    wibrewer Posts: 24
    Thanks guys, I think you've pushed me in the right direction.

Do either of you own a plate setter as well...if so do you still use it or is it collecting dust?
  • brianbala
    brianbala Posts: 29
    I bought the R&B combo with the oval stone, the 16" stainless steel drip pan (haven't quite figured out a good way to position it yet), the extender and one sliding grid about a month ago and though I haven't used it to it's full capabilities (multi-level cooks) I've enjoyed having it and it lives in my LBGE.  I like having the stable raised direct set-up, which I mostly use the top position of the rig with the oval grate.  I used the extender one time for pizza and it positioned the pizza stone way up in the dome, which was perfect.  I really like being able to remove the entire rig to tend to the coals or to switch to the lower cast iron grate when reverse searing my steaks.  I look forward to the warm weather and cooking on the multi-levels for crowds at the house.  All-in-all, I haven't had any regret and consider it money well spent.
    Two Large Eggs - Located in Marietta, GA (East Cobb)
  • brianbala
    brianbala Posts: 29

I haven't used the platesetter since I got the AR.

Two Large Eggs - Located in Marietta, GA (East Cobb)
  • EvansEgger
    EvansEgger Posts: 54
    I bought the platesetter when I first got my large Egg, but after getting the adj rig, I haven't used it.
    Go Hogs Go
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Fred19Flintstone Posts: 8,168
    I recently sold my large. When I bought the AR, my platesetter became a paper weight.
    Flint, Michigan
  • robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    Plate setter for sale seems like the theme.  I have not used mine since getting the AR either.  I used the plate setter ONCE!

Garnerville, NY
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    I used my place setter until I bought my AR. Love my AR R&B oval combo with extender and extra grid, and slider. Gave me a ton of extra room. 
    I only take out the AR to go low direct. 
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • I was in the same situation as you. I ended up buying the 2 Tier Rack from Ceramic Grill Works. About the same price..
    XL bge, Mini max & 36 BS Griddle.
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    I use both for extra high raised indirect. Baking bread and stuff.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Wylecyot
    Wylecyot Posts: 203
    After debating for a long while, I pulled the trigger on the A/R Customer Combo about 2 months ago.  I know you've read this, but it's true...I don't know how I lived without it!

I ordered it with the oval grid, but for my cooking I wish I would have stayed with the round.  The R&B combo did not come with the spider, which I really wanted for woking, searing, etc.  I use the A/R in some form 85% of the time. 

My regret...I did not order the A/R Extender.  I have seen a need for it on several occasions.  I will be ordering it soon!
    Large BGE, Medium BGE, Kamado Joe Jr, 36" Blackstone Griddle Blackstone Tailgater and Roccbox owner/operator from Los Angeles
  • BillPinNC
    BillPinNC Posts: 68
    I bought mine when they came out with the oval setup, only time the plate setter has been used since was doing a large turkey. Great products!!