Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Round 2: Picanha

caliking
caliking Posts: 18,727
edited May 2013 in EggHead Forum
So after the success with the parm crusted pork, tonight I fired up the egg to grill up the picanha.

Got my garlic fix today. Tossed a garlic bulb, some EVOO, and pink Himalayan salt into my mortar and pestle. Mashed it all up to make a creamy buttery garlic paste. 

Lit the small egg with Wicked Good. I must say - I love the stuff now! Lit up evenly, was at 400°F in barely 15mins. Burns cleanly. I've gotta get more of this stuff. Back to the cook - slathered the the garlic paste on to the meat, sprinkled some more pink salt on,  and started grilling. I used one of the 2-pronged skewers today and like how it works. The lid closes easily over it, meat is stable and doesn't turn. 

Peek-a-boo!

Pulled them when the IT hit 145°F.

Man were these good! I think I liked them better than ribeyes, because they had great meaty/beefy flavor without being too fatty. Don't get me wrong - I love the flavor of beef fat, but these had a cleaner beefy taste that really appealed to me.

Thanks for looking. Next up: grouper marinated in a green chile marinade (I think) but I can't remember what its called. Looks and smells damn good though. Maybe @Griffin knows?

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.

Comments

• MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    dude I'm just trying to bacon wrap a hot dog and you go and do that!  :-O

ha love your cooks man!!

XLBGE 
  • caliking
    MCN - I give you extra credit for stuff like burger bombs though.

• double
    double Posts: 1,214
    Enough!!!! Not really loving the cooks but now I want spears!
    Lynnwood WA
  • bigphil
    bigphil Posts: 1,390
    looks great!!!!
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
  • yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    Looks great even at 7am. Where are you getting the recipes from?
    Dunedin, FL
  • SmokinDAWG82
    SmokinDAWG82 Posts: 1,705
    Damn
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    I wonder if the sale of those skewers is going to go up with all your awesome posts! Even on the weekdays!

I will have to get my Raichlen skewers out and try one of your great recipes soon!
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200

Nice!! I'm going to go get some of that this week. I can't remember what was in that grouper marinade, I just remember it was good even though I called it in and cooked it in the oversized box in the kitchen.

@yzzi - the grouper and parmesan pork we both picked up at a store called Central Market (which is a gourmet grocery store run by HEB). Right now they are having a Brazilian theme going on and they have all kinds of foods from there.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• caliking
    @yzzi: as Griffin said, there is a Brazilian fest going on at Central Market. The pork and fish were bought to throw on the egg as is. For the picanha, my search of the interwebs revealed that many folks just salt the meat, but with very coarse ground salt, like icecream salt. Kosher or sea salt ends up being too salty because more salt ends upon the meat due to the finer grind.

But I wanted more than just salt, so a little more searching turned up the recipe for grilling with the garlic slather. Easy peasy and oh so good.

• You hit another one out of the park! Very nice.
  • caliking

@Solson005: you must do it with the garlic slather! It was very good (but I've been on a garlic kick recently)

@Griffin: the picanha did not have the nice fat cap that I have seen in restaurants, but the beef was outstanding. I may not have had top sirloin before, and its been a looong time since I ate a hunk of beef, but it was really tasty. I dont think I'll be buying NY strip or ribeyes for a while.

BTW, what IT did you cook that grouper too? The marinade is cheiro verde - lime juice, parsley, spring onions, EVOO, chiles, and cilantro.

• Griffin
    I see a lot of places that say to cook fish until IT is 145, but that night for some reason I was thinking 134 (I think I must have seen that in a book recently for it to be on my mind). Some say you want it to flake with a fork and its opaque (milky white), but I've also heard if it flakes, you've already overcooked it. Anyway, I pulled at 134 and I'm still alive.

Rowlett, Texas

• caliking
    Thanks. I'll try 135.

• Griffin
    NO!! Not 135! 134! :))

Rowlett, Texas

• WiltOnTilt
    WiltOnTilt Posts: 102
    edited May 2013
    HOLY BRAZILIAN BEEF BATMAN!

Would you consider using that garlic paste on steak or brisket or any other cuts?
  • Alton
    Alton Posts: 509
    Now that's awesome!
    PROUD MEMBER OF THE WHO DAT NATION!!!!! Stuck in Dallas.......
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    edited May 2013
    Got to get some flat skewers for the new mini. Nicely done @caliking
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • headed over there right now. i'm doing picanha chimichurri tonight and TFJ is baking those cheesy biscuits they do at Fogo de Chao. Looks like Caipirinhas (kind of a Brazillian Mojito) are on the menu tonight too.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • caliking

HOLY BRAZILIAN BEEF BATMAN!

Would you consider using that garlic paste on steak or brisket or any other cuts?
    Oh hell yeah!. I don't know how it would do on a lo n slo cook like brisket, but can't hurt to try. Definitely on steak though. When you grind the garlic with the salt and a little EVOO it looks almost like butter. Don't be stingy with the garlic - I used a whole bulb. 

• caliking
    headed over there right now. i'm doing picanha chimichurri tonight and TFJ is baking those cheesy biscuits they do at Fogo de Chao. Looks like Caipirinhas (kind of a Brazillian Mojito) are on the menu tonight too.
    How far is it to Austin again? :) We definitely want to see pics before too many caipirinhas go down! We usually use Leblon cachaca - makes beautiful caipirinhas.