Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Upcoming Party - Burgers and?

robnybbq
robnybbq Posts: 1,911
edited May 2013 in EggHead Forum
Having a party in a few weeks.  ~10-15 adults - few kids.

Plan is to grind up meat for burgers ahead of time (do not know how much yet).  How should I cook them all on a large?  I normally would cook them at 450 raised but I can only fit ~6-8 on at a time on the large.  I do not think putting int multiple levels will cook the burgers would work (right)?  I will be gone at an event before the party so I may have a friend come over before I get home (Another Ceramic Owner) and light the Egg and get it going.

Looking for ideas on what to make with them - appetizers?  Veggies on the Egg but I do not have the real estate on the Egg to cook them at the same time as the burgers.

Looking at pig shots, moink balls, armadillo eggs, but they would have to be cooked the day before at least.  Would they be good reheated in the oven the next and for the party or be rocks?  What can be made ahead of time and refrigerated until the day of the party and reheated?

P.S. - I do not want to use the gasser at all.

Garnerville, NY

Comments

• Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Condifer making "Portabella Mushroom Stuffed Burgers" for the women, and better plan on a few extra for the guys!!  They will never forget them ! 
  • robnybbq
    Explain please - what do you stuff them with?

Garnerville, NY
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Not for nothing but I hate doing large quantities of burgers on the egg. The smoke from the fat is terrible. That is just my opinion.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• robnybbq
    I do not know what else I can cook fast on the Egg for that many people.  Getting home around 5 - plan to eat at 6.  I am not leaving the Egg on all day when I am not home.  Not doing an overnight the night before either (not on the wood deck) - besides it wont taste good cooking meat the day before and reheating it.

Garnerville, NY
  • Little Steven
    edited May 2013

Wait for some other opinions, it's just been my experience. Burgers won't be awful but I always get too much smoke. I keep the lump level low and do them on a raised grid.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,829

Maybe do wings first?  Many people do them raised and direct around 350 - 400.  While the guests are eating the wings, open up the egg and get the temp up a little more and do the burgers in 2 shifts. 

@Little Steven, I don't have a smoke problem as my wife buys 96% lean beef for our burgers. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Do you have an AR or Swing Rack? I would say load that bad boy up with chicken wings. Make all different kinds and choose your favorites. We like having those kind of parties, but it is usually beer tasting instead of wing tasting! Just throw the wings in the fridge the morning before work, then have friend light the egg. When you get home at 5, throw them on and a 6-615, you are good to go. Make some other sides in the kitchen. You have one of those, right?? I think we all forget we do from time to time. 

Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,733
    kabobs are a quick cook and you can do veggie ones as well. people eat them right up and you could have some pita breads and salad for those that might want to wrap them
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Little Steven

@Little Steven, I don't have a smoke problem as my wife buys 96% lean beef for our burgers. 

I don't either if I'm doing five or six. It just seems to be bad when I have the egg loaded to capacity.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    Do you have to do it all on the Egg?  A great "go with" for burgers are onion rings.  The Pioneer Woman's Onion Strings are da bomb.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Portabella Burgers.  I find the big ones at Sam's Club.  Wash them and cut the center post out.  I rub them with a little olive oil and few squirts of Worchestershire Sauce in the fins.  I serve them on toasted large burger rolls.  Start them with the burgers fins down and get them sizzling.  Flip them and add enough swiss cheese that when fully melted will fill the fin area.  They will go perfect since all the meat burger condiments fit along with the portabella mushroom burgers.  Everyone i have tried them on like them better than a meat burger.
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Chicken really showcases the Egg.  Keeps it so damn moist and flavorful.  I would do some chicken legs or wings.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• robnybbq
    Chicken legs/wings - How would they come out reheated after being cooked the day before?  Dried up?  10-15 adults - I do not think I could cook enough at one time.  Some would eat at 6 and some eat at 7:30 - not good.  I do not know what else I can make for this crowd that is quick.  If I had the Egg away from the house on a stone patio then I would do an overnight of a brisket/pork but that wont be for a while if at all.

Maybe I will just cook burgers on the gasser and call it a day.  Cooking burgers on the Egg while as well as I could only cook ~6 to 8 at a time.

Garnerville, NY
  • NecessaryIndulg
    NecessaryIndulg Posts: 1,298
    My 2 cents: 
    For that many people, I cook tequila marinated flank/skirt and then set up a taco bar (corn tortillas, guacamole, cilantro, salsa, limes, etc). 
    It's a fast cook & feeds a lot of people.  You can prep all of the toppings ahead of time.  This also frees up the egg for apps (ABTs, shrimp skewers, stuffed mushrooms, etc).
    I'm Kristi ~ Live in FL ~ BGE since 2003.
    I write about food & travel on Necessary Indulgences.  
    You can also find me on FacebookInstagram, and Twitter.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Just another idea- but I think reheated pulled pork is great.  Especially if you have a foodsaver...but it is not a "must have".  You can cook the butts ahead of time and seal them.  Depending on how far ahead you may want to freeze (a couple of days ahead, just leave in the fridge).  You can use some of the pork for appetizers as well- make ABTs or pulled pork nachos.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Mr Holloway
    Mr Holloway Posts: 2,034
    edited May 2013

I am with Steve on this one.

18 burgers, 3 rounds of 6

Had some bad flavor on my second batch.

The third round was terrible.

That is why I have 3 Eggs now  :))

Shane