Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
National BBQ Month sure was tasty! We hope you got to try just as many new BBQ recipes as we did and some old favorites as well. If not, you can find all our BBQ recipes here and try them out all summer long. One of our favorites was Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise and Ted Reader’s Rum Injected Sweet Potatoes. As the weather’s heating up, use your EGG for a cool treat-Ice Cream Sandwiches! Keep an eye out for some Father’s Day recipes from chefs & their dads, coming soon!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

BEST Pulled Pork Sandwich Roll

What is your "go to" pulled pork roll?  Today, i needed some rolls for pulled pork sandwiches and came across something new(to me)!  The local Walmart bakery has a new multigrain roll.  It is called "Multigrain Ciabatta Sandwich Rolls".  They are packaged with six sliced rolls in a bag.  We toasted them prior to serving.  The best i have ever had !!!
·

Comments

• bigphilbigphil Posts: 1,386
    personally i like a plain cheap bun so the flavor of the pork shines rather than the roll . i normally go for a hamburger bun or a neutral tasting crispy roll .
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
    ·
  • SmokeyPittSmokeyPitt Posts: 6,376
    I usually go with a cheap white bun as well...I like the Martin's dutch rolls (ok...not the cheapest, but always nice and soft). 

With leftover pulled pork, I have used sourdough and made a grilled pork n cheese and that was pretty fantabulous.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

·
  • TFolsTFols Posts: 197
    I like Martin's Potato Rolls.
    Bloomfield, NJ
    ·
  • AviatorAviator Posts: 1,522
    I know this is about rolls, but I stick 'em in Publix's French hamburger buns.

Large and Small BGE, and a baby black Kub.

And all the toys to make me look like a Gizmo Chef.

>:)

Chattanooga, TN.

·
  • RLeeperRLeeper Posts: 480
    + 1 on the el cheapo
    Extra Large, Large, and Mini. Tucker, GA
    ·
  • ChubbyChubby Posts: 2,790
    Though not "traditional"...I dig King's Hawaiian Sammy Buns!!
    ·
  • ChubbsChubbs Posts: 5,114
    Potato buns all the way.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
    ·
  • SpaightlabsSpaightlabs Posts: 655
    Rosemary Fochaccia. Holds up to moisture frow a finishing sauce and the Carolina slaw.
    ·
  • EggcelsiorEggcelsior Posts: 11,188
    Cheap white hamburger rolls that fall apart. It's the only way to eat barbecue. Gotta use your hands to clean the plate!
    ·
  • Doc_EggertonDoc_Eggerton Posts: 4,330
    Marty's Big Buns!
    Pasquali Luciano
    Buon appetito to all the BGE family
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE and lots of toys

·
  • Doc_EggertonDoc_Eggerton Posts: 4,330
    Aviator said:
    I love those, but am trying really hard not to eat bread.  After my last big butt smoke I ate the pulled pork on the plate, not on the bun.
    Pasquali Luciano
    Buon appetito to all the BGE family
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE and lots of toys

·
  • AviatorAviator Posts: 1,522
    edited May 2013
    Aviator said:
    I love those, but am trying really hard not to eat bread.  After my last big butt smoke I ate the pulled pork on the plate, not on the bun.
    And the pig was fat free as well, right?
    :))

Large and Small BGE, and a baby black Kub.

And all the toys to make me look like a Gizmo Chef.

>:)

Chattanooga, TN.

·
  • SkiddymarkerSkiddymarker Posts: 6,863
    edited May 2013
    Ciabatta rolls. Will hold up to the slaw and sauce. 
    Delta B.C. - Vee-Gan: old Indian word for poor hunter. 
    ·
  • SamFerriseSamFerrise Posts: 544
    When you have good pork you have to have good bread.  If you are of Mediterranean decent bread it important.  Makes the meal that much better.

Simple ingredients, amazing results!
    ·
  • GQuizGQuiz Posts: 681
    Rolling with @Chubby... Hawaiian rolls. YUMMMMMM!

XL BGE; Schertz TX by way of Stow OH. #egghead4life
    ·
  • TjcoleyTjcoley Posts: 3,422
    Either Big Marty's or Pepperidge Farms sesame seed hamburger buns.  Slightly larger than standard hamburger buns, and they let the pork be the main event.
    double said:
    That looks great @double.  Basically eating a pulled pork sammie between two doughnuts ;)

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

·
  • yzziyzzi Posts: 1,793
    The cheapest whitest (sp?) bread so as to let the pork taste stand out. My wife calls it duck bread cause it's good for nothing except feeding to ducks, not that it's even good for that.
    Dunedin, FL
    ·
  • EvansEggerEvansEgger Posts: 54
    edited May 2013
    Another vote for Hawaiian rolls. The sweet rolls compliments the pulled pork. Always been a winner with the guests. Plus they are fairly cheap at Costco. Expensive at regular grocery stores though.
    Go Hogs Go
    ·
  • EgginWPEgginWP Posts: 11
    Another vote for Martins - Potato Rolls - Large, round, square, mini sliders - they have it covered. 
    ·
  • MickeyMickey Posts: 16,277
    edited May 2013
    multigrain roll = get a rope :-t Just like " no crying in baseball" , no stinking health product in pulled pork. Just like no one in kilts at Salado Fest had on pumps. Sorry, what were we talking about....,.,,.
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, just added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

·
  • JRWhiteeJRWhitee Posts: 2,611
    +2 on Martins Potato Rolls

Large BGE 2006, Mini Max 2014 
    Founding Member of the Green Man Group cooking team.
    Johns Creek, Georgia

·
  • GriffinGriffin Posts: 6,803
    I've always gone plain jane white hamburger buns (some times slider buns). I'll have to branch out and try some other bread when it lands back on the diet.

Richardson, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

·
  • BeaumontyBeaumonty Posts: 171
    Pepperidge Farm slider rolls. Something about having multiple little sandwiches makes it better.
    ·
    Griffin said:
    I've always gone plain jane white hamburger buns (some times slider buns). I'll have to branch out and try some other bread when it lands back on the diet.
    Unitl then...

·
  • Little StevenLittle Steven Posts: 27,303
    I don't know if you guys get them but I use Scotch baps. They are really light and have a bit of a crust.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·