Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Question for Mini users....

For those who have the MiniWoo and use a small pizza stone as a makeshift platesetter....how does the thin pizza stones hold up under the heat that the little mini produces?  Thin pizza stones in other size Egg tend to crack under heat, how does the mini effect the thinner stones?

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

Comments

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Thanks for posting. I need to know too
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Amazon stone has been to 700+ no issues.
    Seattle, WA
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    I bought a 4 pack and broke them all doing pizzas but they held up fine at lower temps. The 2 pack on amazon seems to be the way to go but I haven't bought them yet. The mini plate setter is awesome though and with the new mini fire ring you have way more space with the plate setter than the woo. The woo is great to raise the grid though.
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    I agree thinking the PS is the way to go if you haven't got the woo and stones yet. Raising it to use stones steals limited space.
    Seattle, WA
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Fred19Flintstone Posts: 8,168
    No problems so far.  I have the Amazon 2 pack.  We 've pizza a handful of times (darn this low carb diet!) and indirect at lower temps many times.
    Flint, Michigan
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Lit said:

I bought a 4 pack and broke them all doing pizzas but they held up fine at lower temps. The 2 pack on amazon seems to be the way to go but I haven't bought them yet. The mini plate setter is awesome though and with the new mini fire ring you have way more space with the plate setter than the woo. The woo is great to raise the grid though.

Guess I will get both. Haha. Thanks
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Chubby
    Chubby Posts: 2,955

The stones I assume most are speaking of have been available, (originally in 2 packs) on E bay and Amazon for a number of years now. I have seen and used more than a few of them in that time... and I'd say they are a little heavier and thicker than the BGE stock product...and have held up to as much abuse as I have been able to dish out.

Evans

I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • Lit
    Chubbs said:

Lit said:

Guess I will get both. Haha. Thanks
    I would say both are needed. I would have burnt so many burgers if I didn't have the woo for the height and after the modification to the fire ring for the plate setter you get probably 2 extra inches of height with the plate setter. I'm not sure how I haven't got the stones from Amazon yet it always slips my mind until I need them.
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    Bought the 2 pak stones at amazon. I use them for every thing egg related, for indirect cooking for placing a fry pan in the egg to pizzas. Haven't had a bit of problems with them, unlike my pampered chef that cracked the second time I used it on the large.
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    My Old Stone Oven pizza stones have held up great. They're actually 1/2" thick and my guess is that's just thick enough to give them some durability: Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • Chubby
    Chubby Posts: 2,955
    R2Egg2Q said:
    My Old Stone Oven pizza stones have held up great. They're actually 1/2" thick and my guess is that's just thick enough to give them some durability: Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
    Yes...the packaging is updated...but that's them!!
    I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Buy from Amazon the two pac. Have used for years and dropped several. All fine. Buy the good ones to start and no problems. @Chubbs (IMO) the Mini Woo and stones from Amazon is money better spent than platesetter.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    edited May 2013
    I've got the two pack from amazon. I've not had any problems with mine 'cept I keep burning pizzas when I try to do them. User error, not the stones. (cue @Mickey to tell us to do tortilla pizzas. They are so quick and easy and his grandkids absolutely love them ;) )

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Griffin said:
    ;(cue @Mickey to tell us to do tortilla pizzas. They are so quick and easy and his grandkids absolutely love them ;) )

So do Mickey and Linda.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• bbqlearner
    bbqlearner Posts: 760
    @Mickey could you share why you think the mini woo and stone is better than platesetter? Just curious as I'm thinking of getting mini as well.

Houston, TX - Buddy LBGE, Don SBGE, Tiny Mini & Shiny Momma Pitts n Spitts

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    @bbqlearner - I know you asked Mickey, but I'll go ahead and chime in with me $.02. I think the woo and stones are more versatile than the placesetter. Just using the woo by itself gives you a raised direct cook. Using the woo and one stone, gives you an indirect cook. The woo and two stones allow you to bake or cook pizzas. The placesetter does not allow for an raised direct cook. It will allow you to do an indirect cook. If you want to bake or do pizzas with the placesetter, you are still going to need to buy a pizza stone and something to create a gap between placesetter and pizza stone.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• bbqlearner
    bbqlearner Posts: 760
    edited May 2013
    @Griffin Thanks. Never thought of that but that's a great point.

Houston, TX - Buddy LBGE, Don SBGE, Tiny Mini & Shiny Momma Pitts n Spitts

• Lit
    I have both and Griffin is correct the woo kills 2 birds. Cooking with the mini direct you either have to put almost no lump in it or have the woo to raise the grid or you will burn food.