Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Eggware Stainless Steel Vent Cap @ http://eggware.net/

BigGreenBBQ
BigGreenBBQ Posts: 109
edited May 2013 in EggHead Forum
Hey all, so there are a few posts about the new stainless steel vent cap - used to replace your daisy wheel from http://eggware.net/. So I e-mailed the customer service guys to inquire more about it but more importantly to see if they would be willing to offer users of this forum a coupon code. Stevan got back to me pretty quickly and offered 10% to the first 35 order under promo code BGBBQ. Now there are a few other codes out there (one I know of is "AUSTIN" -- for 15% off ) but I think they are all ending soon.  I ordered 2 of these - one for my father-in-law and one for me. They should be arriving soon. If the other codes don't work use BGBBQ.  If you have one --  let everyone know what you think about it.  I'll do the same when mine arrives.    
298.jpg 46.4K

Comments

• MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    Thanks

XLBGE 
  • BigGreenBBQ
    BigGreenBBQ Posts: 109
    I forgot to mention that I also asked about a vent for the MINI -- was told "to be determined." Hopefully they will put it into production.   
  • BillPinNC
    BillPinNC Posts: 68
    I bought 2 and they arrived today, they look good, functional bling for the BGE!
  • EvansEgger
    EvansEgger Posts: 54
    I have one that I have been using for a week. It is awesome and works as advertisized. It is well built and will last as long as my Egg.
    Go Hogs Go
  • egger ave
    egger ave Posts: 721
    The AUSTIN discount expires 5/10. I have been using mine since Sunday. No complaints after 3 long cooks.
    1 Large BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Minimax BGE, Original wife and 3 dogs living in the heart of BBQ country in Round Rock Texas. 

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."

Albert Einstein
  • egger ave
    I forgot to mention that I also asked about a vent for the MINI -- was told "to be determined." Hopefully they will put it into production.   
    Its the cost of the tooling more than $10K. You would have to sell a lot of mini vents to break even and make a profit. I'd say keep the emails coming.
    1 Large BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Minimax BGE, Original wife and 3 dogs living in the heart of BBQ country in Round Rock Texas. 

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."

Albert Einstein
  • KennyLee
    KennyLee Posts: 806

For those that have it, what is the advantage over the daisy wheel?  And is it removable and therefore easily interchangeable with the daisy wheel? 

Although I've had my Egg for not quite a year, my daisy wheel seems to work fine and I've had no issues.  One thing is that it seems that it will keep moisture out during a rain.  And since my Egg sits in a table out in the open with no patio cover, it has me intrigued.

LBGE

Cedar table w/granite top

Ceramic Grillworks two-tier swing rack

Perpetual cooler of ice-cold beer

• egger ave
    you should be able to swap it out, it's not screwed on and it does not fall off. I can set the vent to control the temperature and it doesn't move when I open the dome. It keeps the rains out, looks good and won't need to be cleaned and painted like my daisy wheel. 

Albert Einstein
  • KennyLee
    KennyLee Posts: 806
    Thanks egger......the rain issue alone may have me pulling the trigger on one of these.  I had an issue one night when we were cooking pizza for about a dozen people during a pretty good rain and ended up pulling through it, but with a rigged up homemade contraption that involved a 2x6 with drilled holes and some metal benders for feet to cover the top. 

LBGE

Cedar table w/granite top

Ceramic Grillworks two-tier swing rack

Perpetual cooler of ice-cold beer

• Chubby
    Chubby Posts: 2,955

Looks very well made, (and is clearly "Blingy") but I mainly like the idea of being able to take the top off...and throw it in the Dish Washer.

That said...very little effort is required to keep the Daisy Wheel in good working order, and "rain functionality" can be obtained (with minimal effort and expense) by placing a  $4 vent cap directly over the Daisy!! 

I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • PlanoPokes79
    PlanoPokes79 Posts: 207
    I have had my eggs for years and never had any issues with the daisy and got $6 vent cap from home depot for rain days. Sorry just don't see the need.
  • Firemedic183
    Firemedic183 Posts: 197
    Looks like I'll be picking up a vent cap in the morning. Thank you for the tip.
    Persistence and determination are omnipotent!
  • Dalek5578
    Dalek5578 Posts: 1
    Got mine today and can't wait to try it out!
  • egger ave
    I also like the way it looks on my BGE.

Albert Einstein
  • 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    This is a welcome upgrade and BGE really should provide as part of the initial purchase. The CI DFMT rusts to easily. Thanks for the post. Ordered mine tonight.
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Does this replace the ceramic cap as well? If it works for snuffing out the coals as well, I will get one.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    caliking said:
    Does this replace the ceramic cap as well? If it works for snuffing out the coals as well, I will get one.
    Yes, confirmed by Matt @eggware
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited May 2013

I love mine.  My patio will never be shaded, enjoy the sunlight.  Had a recent butt cook in the rain which washed some of the rub through the petals, under the eave overhang.  Must admit, my CI Daisy is an old one, before the petals.  And I shattered my ceramic cap taking the cover off last year.

Wonder if those big vent caps fall off when the dome is raised?  Seems that alot of eggs have issues with the DFMT staying on in the first place?  My WFO/baker egg is this way.  I run it wide open, minus DFMT/eggware cap, so it is not an issue.   

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Chubby

@ Focker....

Generally...I've never had much problem with rusting DFMT's, (even though I live in a hot/ humid climate)...I just  lightly spritz with pam every once in a while...and always throw it in the cooker when I shut it down. Looks pretty...just  like my Grandma's Griswold Skillet used too...lol!!

I shimmed it years ago with a bit of plain old BGE felt tape, and like a few have said above...if you position it correctly...it seldom moves while being opened and closed....though I've seen it happen...and threw one or two off in my formative years too...lol!!  

Some egg's "tops" are slightly out of round to begin with...so that can complicate things as well. I had to grind out the inside of my Daisy on my Small years ago... just to get it to go more than an inch or so down on to the top...much less stay on, though...I don't see/hear of that happening for the most part in a few years now!  

As to the Rain caps falling off...my pic above was taken as it was coming up to temp...(I usually start mine with the top all the way off for the first few)...thus it was on the deck. But as a rule...once on the way...I replace/adjust the DFMT...and the rain cap fits snuggly right over the outside of it...nooooo  problems.

Like you...many times on higher temp cooks...I go sans DWFT period.... but that's the old geezer in me...lol!!!

Evans

I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • egger ave
    caliking said:
    Yes, it will replace the rain cap when you shut down the BGE. The attached image was the cap in action when I was smoking bacon last Sunday.

Albert Einstein
  • Plano_JJ
    Plano_JJ Posts: 448
    I have received mine but haven't installed it yet. It looks like a huge upgrade from the daisy wheel. I think it will be much easier to adjust and maintain temp
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    I received mine 2 days ago but I haven't whipped it out yet.I will test it out this weekend.
  • wbbh
    wbbh Posts: 5
    Thanks for posting, I just placed an order.
  • Z_Eggineer
    Z_Eggineer Posts: 576
    Does it really control better?  Not sure if I should spend $35 to protect some small holes from rain when I live in a place with hardly any precipitation.
  • ordered one, thanks for posting this. 

living under redwoods in NorCal made my daisy wheel into a rusty wheel. been too lazy to clean it.
  • QDude
    QDude Posts: 1,052
    I ordered one because I have been frustrated with the daisy wheel closing itself when the egg is opened. I usually remember to reset it but not always which causes the to lose temp. I'm looking forward to trying this out.

Northern Colorado Egghead since 2012.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

• Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    The new "Stainless Steel" vent looks GREAT !!  But i am used to the Daisey Wheel and it's settings.  There is no way my Daisey Wheel will rust because it is continuously coated with greasy smoke and air.  And the only advantage to the new unit is that it deflects the rain, and i cook under cover, so i will stay with the factory equipment. 
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727

Thanks for the info, egger.

I find the rain cap and DFMT method annoying. Most times I cook without the DFMT because the thing is a PITA. Even with the screw facing the handle, the top of it still swings when i open the lid and has to be reset. Then there is the rain cap which is ceramic and just waiting for me to break it.  I much prefer the option of one topper doohickey that works as rain cap, coal snuffer, and temp adjuster, so I ordered one too.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757
    caliking said:

Thanks for the info, egger.

I find the rain cap and DFMT method annoying. Most times I cook without the DFMT because the thing is a PITA. Even with the screw facing the handle, the top of it still swings when i open the lid and has to be reset. Then there is the rain cap which is ceramic and just waiting for me to break it.  I much prefer the option of one topper doohickey that works as rain cap, coal snuffer, and temp adjuster, so I ordered one too.

You know that's not the reasons why. Come on, you just want "stuff".
    ;)

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• Chubby

Granted...I am NO APOLOGIST for the DMFT..,

But at the risk of bringing down the hoards of  "Rusty...Nasty... Greazy... DFMT Haters" on me, I gotta say....

After now 9 years, (with multiple eggs)...and even in my climate...I just don't get/buy the whole

"they are hard to take care of"  scenarios!!

Truth is...they aren't!   VERY LITTLE EFFORT OR EXPENSE is required!

I'm  easily as lazy/forgetful as the next guy, and mine all look nearly new...even after 9 years!

I might have actually "cleaned" them once or twice?

Still....I doooosssss likesssss my "Blingage"..lol!!!  And the new cap...?

It's "Blingy" ...in Spades!!!!!

\:D/