Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BGE design changes?

NecessaryIndulg
NecessaryIndulg Posts: 1,298
edited May 2013 in EggHead Forum
I noticed at the last couple of eggfest that the handles on the BGEs are wider than mine:

My handle (10 years old):

Bacon Cheddar Burgers

New handle:

Sunshine State EggFest 2013

I also noticed that when people opened their BGE, the daisy wheel didn't fall off (like mine does):

Sunshine State EggFest 2012

I'll deal with the daisy wheel, but I want a new handle . . . how do I get one of those? :D
I'm Kristi ~ Live in FL ~ BGE since 2003.
I write about food & travel on Necessary Indulgences.  
You can also find me on FacebookInstagram, and Twitter.

Comments

• SmokinDAWG82
    SmokinDAWG82 Posts: 1,705
    I was thinking I'd like to have the wider handle too, but ater taking my dome off a couple of weeks ago I think youd have to have a new lower band too, so the holes lined up. Interested to find out.
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    You may need a full ring assembly and handle. Hopefully the hinge will still work. Part order from the dealer?
  • SMITTYtheSMOKER
    SMITTYtheSMOKER Posts: 2,668

Hello NecessaryIndulg,

To help keep your DFMT from launching simply position the pivot screw for the daisy towards the front of the Egg just above the thermometer.   This should take of your problem.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817

You can just glue some gasket material inside the daisy and that will hold it on. I never take mine off so the crud holds them solid

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Yeah, I have extra gasket material around my chimney and DW and ceramic lid are snug. As for the handle, if the new handles dont fit the older model egg, you can get one of Danny's custom handles that are a decent bit bigger... 

Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053

Your band will be harder to modify than mine was because you have the welded on handle. You can cut it off pretty easy though a buddy of mine used a dremel with th emetal bit to remove his. The older large band only has 1 hole and the new handle has 2 so you also have to cut the ends to single hole. I did this before BGE made the change I took the older XL handle and put it on my large. You can also see the 2 pieces of gasket I have around the top to stop the top from coming off.

• EddieK76
    EddieK76 Posts: 416
    Don't worry I just got a new one in Feb and yes my handle is wider than my old one but the wheel fell off and they sent me a replacement daisy and some gasket to put around the top to keep the daisy snug.
    Large BGE

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,665
    i didnt notice the weld job on the handle, thats the old mexican band that used to fail, bge replaced mine a few years ago for free. first the springs went on it, then one day it tweaked like the one posted on the xl the other day
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • egret
    egret Posts: 4,168
    I noticed at the last couple of eggfest that the handles on the BGEs are wider than mine:

My handle (10 years old):

Bacon Cheddar Burgers

New handle:

Sunshine State EggFest 2013

I also noticed that when people opened their BGE, the daisy wheel didn't fall off (like mine does):

Sunshine State EggFest 2012

I'll deal with the daisy wheel, but I want a new handle . . . how do I get one of those? :D
    Kristi, why don't you come to the GA Mt. Eggfest and buy a new egg!! That one looks like it's about had it!! :)) :))
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Tonight, "makeovers" -- no cooking on the egg ----  what am i gonna do???  Went to my normal location, out by the egg, with my normal beverage, a nice cold beer, and even though no smoke from the egg, it required a few more beers!!!  Now i'm studying the egg.  I have worn my rutland out!!  Been on there for three years and the hinged area is loose because of "the bite" of the egg.  Yep, i need to change my rutland, got to get ahold of RRP, but why???  Now study the construction of the egg??  IF(?) the bands, both top and bottom, were about one quarter of an inch wider(not thicker) both bands would fit against the ceramic indent of both the upper and lower ceramic surfaces.  Yes, they would be stronger, maybe too strong, whats wrong with that??  But they wouldn't need adjusting!!  The thickness of the rutland gasket would adjust any variation in the ceramic surface.  My problem is from heating up and cooling down the bands get loose and the ceramic dome moves down in the hinge area, so the front matchup is great, the back is off about an eighth of an inch on the top and the same on the bottom.  Overall, about a quarter of an inch, enough to slowly grind my gasket and almost pinch it in half???  I have to study this problem, perhaps design a fill in spacer to protect gasket clearences?? 
  • NecessaryIndulg
    Thanks, y'all.  I'm going to go back to being tickled-pink with my handle just the way it is.  And thanks for the DW suggestions! :-bd

It's the EggFests fault, you know... I always come home with a long list of needs:)]

egret - you're killing me!  =))
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,676
    Kristi, we can fix your daisy in a couple minutes and I have extra gasket material. Great seeing you and John yesterday, thanks for stopping by
  • Dave in Florida
    Dave in Florida Posts: 1,157
    Best handles made.  http://dannyscarvings.blogspot.ca/

danlin@nb.sympatico.ca

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
  • gpsegg
    gpsegg Posts: 427
    Dave......love the handle!
    George
    Palm Beach Gardens, Fl and Blairsville, Ga.
  • daffy1909
    daffy1909 Posts: 498
    my daisy wheel doesnt fall off either,my egg is only 5 months old!im sure if i was to open to quick it would go flying!!! i dont bother trying to open it with the cap on,dont feel like buying another one! :D
  • NecessaryIndulg

danlin@nb.sympatico.ca

Well, great handle... but I cheer for the other Florida team.  :P
  • Lit

danlin@nb.sympatico.ca

Golden Knights?

• NecessaryIndulg
    Lit said:
    Golden Knights?
    Well, there, too... since that is where all of our money goes these days. ;)
  • Lit
    Nice the school is huge now. When I started back in 97 there wasn't even a parking garage on campus yet.
  • LBC Dawg
    LBC Dawg Posts: 116
    I've always wondered, how does everybody's ceramic tops or DFMTs come off when y'all open the egg? in 9 yrs that i've owned my egg, neither has ever come off even once.
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    I know I'm coming in late, but I highly recommend dany's handles. Very nice quality and super easy to work with. Feels nice having a big handle

XLBGE 
  • EddieK76
    EddieK76 Posts: 416
    LBC Dawg said:
    I've always wondered, how does everybody's ceramic tops or DFMTs come off when y'all open the egg? in 9 yrs that i've owned my egg, neither has ever come off even once.
    Mine was a loose fit for sure.  The daisy wheel was larger than the actual top part of the Egg.  
    Large BGE

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Re: Dual function metal tops falling off, apparently, over time it has depended on how old your egg is, what hinge you have etc. I have the old auto-lock hinge and my DFMT has never fallen off.
    The Naked Whiz
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Bacon Cheddar Burgers
    I just want to hang out in your back yard and enjoy the view.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• bbqlearner
    bbqlearner Posts: 760
    Griffin said:
    Bacon Cheddar Burgers
    I just want to hang out in your back yard and enjoy the view.
    The view distracted me from the discussion...what are we talking about again? Oh yeah handle too little..... ~O) .....a cup of coffee with the view - now, the handle didn't seem to matter.

Houston, TX - Buddy LBGE, Don SBGE, Tiny Mini & Shiny Momma Pitts n Spitts

• tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    for those who's daisy wheel changes when they open it, check here: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm#dwsetting

Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
     Feels nice having a big handle
    I thought you said you were taking a break from off-color humor?? 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg.