Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New Mini Platesetter and Mini question

Options
Hic
Hic Posts: 350
edited May 2013 in EggHead Forum

Is there a new Mini that has a notched fire ring, like the new larges? I'm wondering b/c I want to order a mini but I'm worried, I'd get an older stocked mini that wouldn't fit the new platesetter.

Thanks

Large, medium, small and a mini. Egg'n, golfing, beer drinking, camping and following football and baseball.
Atlanta NOTP suburbia.

Comments

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    Don't get the platesetter. Better options for indirect. Mini woo and pizza stones
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    Platesetter looks pretty neat. Looks like you dont raise the grid so you get more cooking space. Ive smashed down a few oversized cooks with th woo and stones.
    Seattle, WA
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    edited May 2013
    Options
    Yes the new mini has slots made in the fire ring, I'm a plate setter kind a guy

XLBGE 
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    edited May 2013
    Options
    @Lit has the old ring and made the notches to work with the platesetter. http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1150687/mini-to-the-max#latest

You can always make sure the dealer is giving you a new fire ring. Unless your getting a sweet deal by buying a older one..
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    Options
    I have last year's model and it has the notches. I had no choice but to get the mini woo and stones, and I really like them. I won't order the plate setter. (I have one for the large that I like a great deal.)
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • Hic
    Hic Posts: 350
    Options
    I have the old old ring and the platesetter completely covers the hole.

Large, medium, small and a mini. Egg'n, golfing, beer drinking, camping and following football and baseball.
    Atlanta NOTP suburbia.

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    Hic I would hit up the retail store to make sure you get a new one unless you are getting a great deal. The plate setter has not been available very long so I doubt you will get a new package unless you go to tucker. The new fire ring was $37 and plate setter was $35. The plate setter gives you much more indirect room than the woo.