Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Thawing Pork Butts

Kruegs
Kruegs Posts: 128

I have two 8 lb, butts that are frozen.  I want to start them Saturday evening.  If I pull them out this morning and put them in the refridgerator do you think they'll be ready by Saturday?  If not, any tips and speeding up the thawing process?  Alternatively, I'll throw them back in the freezer and buy fresh for the this weekend and plan further in advance for next time.

Thanks!

XL BGE; CyberQ Wifi; Adjustable Rig, Woo2 Green Bay, Wisconsin

Comments

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200

I've heard of people tossing them on frozen before. Supposedly just adds an hour or two to the cook. Might look into that.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• EddieK76
    EddieK76 Posts: 416
    I just take them out and then check tomorrow and if not place in cold water in the sink, changing out the water every few hours or so.
    Large BGE

• Should work fine, like Griffin said a frozen butt may only add a few hours to the cook. Don't be tempted to cook at a higher temp. Time is your friend, start early and use the cooler at the end for a little longer if it get to final temp early.
    Billy
    Wilson, NC
    Large BGE - WiFi Stoker - Thermapen - 250 Cookbooks

• yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    Last one I did I pulled it out of the freezer Thursday morning and let it thaw in the fridge until I put it in Friday night. It was soft on the outside but still frozen in the center when I put the maverick in. My thought was as long as it's soft on the outside so I can get some rub soaked in I'd be fine. It turned out perfectly fine, and I'd do it again just so I don't have to eat up all the space in my fridge with butt.
    Dunedin, FL
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    I've done them from frozen a couple of times. Once when I was doing four and thought "why waste the space",  and the next one cause that turned out the best of the five. That's the last butt I cooked. Ill look back in my posts but I believe it went several hours longer.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• I usually take mine out of the freezer the night before and let thaw on the counter for 12 hours or so.  Is there any danger in that?

"Where the weak grow strong and the strong grow great, Here's to "Down Home," the Old North State!"

Med & XL

• Little Steven

The exposure of the surface of the meat to warm temps (40* to 140*) is what they talk about in food safety.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Just thawed one yesterday, I left it on the counter overnight and put it in the fridge in the morning. I do it that way all the time and never had a problem. 

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Check them Sat AM and if need be, place them on the counter for an hour or two, but not too long.  I took one out of the freezer last night for Sat AM cook.  Left on counter from 5PM till 10 PM and then put in fridge.  Outside was already thawed, but could tell inside was still frozen, but I believe I'll be good to go Sat AM.  That's my usual routine with anything frozen.

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014

• Little Steven
    JRWhitee said:
    Just thawed one yesterday, I left it on the counter overnight and put it in the fridge in the morning. I do it that way all the time and never had a problem. 
    I was just talking about the food safety guidelines. If somebody is comfortable with what they do then that's just fine. We kept the leftover turkey in the garage for weeks growing up and nobody died. And our Thanksgiving is in early October.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Optiontrader
    Optiontrader Posts: 174
    I was always told from childhood that as long as it is still cool to the touch, when thawing, it's OK.  I have never had a problem.  If it's packed in cryovac, even better.  But I'm no expert.  Do what you feel comfortable with.
    Brighton, IL (North East of St. Louis, MO)