Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BBQ smell

Options
2»

Comments

• GA_Dawgs
    GA_Dawgs Posts: 273
    Options

I just run away from any smoke that comes out.  Tough to do in a swirling wind though, that took a lot of practice. 

Seriously though, I just shower and scrub well.  Seems to do the trick. 

• Fred19Flintstone
    Fred19Flintstone Posts: 8,168
    Options
    It's a badge of honor. Wilma confessed she's not enammered with the Egg smell, but she loves the results and gladly supports my obsession.
    Flint, Michigan
  • Plano_JJ
    Plano_JJ Posts: 448
    Options
    It has gotten to where I can smell smoke in my garage now. Love it.
  • EggHeadinFlorida
    Options
    You guys are killing me LOL  Thanks for all the suggestions [-O<
    XL bge, Mini max & 36 BS Griddle.
  • bbqlearner
    bbqlearner Posts: 760
    Options

The other day, a buddy of mine was coming over to a playground/park right across from our house and he was able to smell my Q in the backyard. He called me up to ask what I'm cooking. Needless to say, I wonder if I have a "stalker" friend and need to keep him out but that's the beside the point. Point is those smoke smell carries over quite a long distance.

I say get rid of anything that touches it. As Seinfeld puts it "This is not just an odor - you need a priest to get rid of this thing! It clings to everything. ... It's a presence! It's The BEAST!"  

Houston, TX - Buddy LBGE, Don SBGE, Tiny Mini & Shiny Momma Pitts n Spitts

• bettysnephew
    bettysnephew Posts: 1,188
    Options

Adult answer here, not as much fun as the others, but this is what I was told:

Years back, I served on my local Volunteer Fire Department.  We always smelled of smoke for some time after a conflagration and tried many unsuccessful ways to get the smell off.  It does cling in your hair, but for the most part it is in your body.  You also inhale smoke when you grill and it goes from your lungs and nasal membranes into your blood stream.  Your body expels it through you sweat glands and other eliminations.  This info came from a doctor so I believe it to be true.  I would always notice the smell for several days when showering and washing underarms in particular.  Maybe I was more sensitive as I was a non smoker.

A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • Plano_JJ
    Plano_JJ Posts: 448
    Options
    I had a dude that I know come over on his bike and knock on my gate one day while I was cooking ribs. He said "I smell that $hit in the street!" He has an egg too so he knew what was up.
  • HDmstng
    HDmstng Posts: 192
    Options
    Shower usually works, but if it is a long cook and my clothes are getting bad I'll do a few shots of Febreeze.
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    Plano_JJ said:
    I had a dude that I know come over on his bike and knock on my gate one day while I was cooking ribs. He said "I smell that $hit in the street!" He has an egg too so he knew what was up.
    My neighbors always come over when I am cooking to see what creation I have going.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    edited May 2013
    Options
    HDmstng said:
    Shower usually works, but if it is a long cook and my clothes are getting bad I'll do a few shots of Febreeze.
    Do you drink, snort or freebase the febreeze?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    edited May 2013
    Options
    HDmstng said:
    yes.    But not in that order 

:D
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Man after my own heart

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• HDmstng
    HDmstng Posts: 192
    Options
    HDmstng said:
    Initially just a few squirts on my clothes, but then the idea hit, why not go directly to the source of the smoke smell?  Instead of misting my ribs/butts with apple cider vinegar or apple juice, I use Febreze instead.  The "Gain Apple Mango Tango" Febreze  is great on ribs/butts and fish and "Wild Berries and Honey" is great for pork loin.  Still looking for the perfect one for brisket.
  • Little Steven
    Options

HDmstng     

Come on man. The guy is looking for serious adult answers here! All this fooling around gives the forum a bad name      

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    My team at work went back to my house today for lunch and fired up the large and made grilled chicken, sauted garlic and onion and cheese quesadillas today for lunch and everyone that comes into my office keeps looking around for BBQ. Has to be the best smell in the world.
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Fred19Flintstone Posts: 8,168
    Options
    Lit said:

My team at work went back to my house today for lunch and fired up the large and made grilled chicken, sauted garlic and onion and cheese quesadillas today for lunch and everyone that comes into my office keeps looking around for BBQ. Has to be the best smell in the world.

I work 4 miles from home, but if I came back to the office after lunch wearing "Essence de Egg", Mr. Slate (in my case Mrs. Slate) would blow a gasket!
    Flint, Michigan
  • EggRacer
    EggRacer Posts: 400
    Options
    Ooooh that smell 
    Can't you smell that smell 
    Ooooh that smell 
    The smell of smoke surrounds you.

with apologies to Lynyrd Skynyrd. 
    XLBGE & LBGE
    North Richland Hills, TX
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    JRWhitee said:
    Plano_JJ said:
    My neighbors always come over when I am cooking to see what creation I have going.
    Same here.  Neighbor a couple doors down and across the street was having a yard sale.  My wife bought a compost bin that I had to walk down and carry home.  When I got there he asked me what the hell I was cooking.  He could see some billowing smoke coming from behind my house and could smell it from there.  I told him I had two full slabs of baby backs on the egg.  He then laughed and said if he had known that, he would have traded the compost bin for a slab.
    I particularly like to fire up the Egg when my neighbors are having a party and there's about 15 people at their pool.  I make them smell that all day long.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    Options
    You must have a bad egg, cause mine always smells like success, and why would I wash the smell of greatness off??

XLBGE 
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options

Lit said:

I work 4 miles from home, but if I came back to the office after lunch wearing "Essence de Egg", Mr. Slate (in my case Mrs. Slate) would blow a gasket!
    I am lucky my director is in a different time zone.
  • BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    Options
    I'm to the point where if I don't smell like burning lump I think something is wrong.  I have an old sweatshirt that I wear when cooking during the cold months and it never gets washed.  Smells like heaven to me.  Someone here on the forum a while back had an egg stolen and it was suggested that all he had to do to find the culprit was go around town smelling guys shirts.  I got a laugh out of that.

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • dayzedandconfused
    Options
    You'r asking US for serious adult answers?
  • RLeeper
    RLeeper Posts: 480
    Options
    I too have a smoking jacket "old hoodie that doesn't get washed" my kids love to smell it when I'm away because it reminds them of daddy!
    Extra Large, Large, and Mini. Tucker, GA
  • egger ave
    egger ave Posts: 721
    edited May 2013
    Options
    In some cultures and at my house, BBQ smoke is considered a aphrodisiac according to SWMBO. Who am I to argue with an expert?
    1 Large BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Minimax BGE, Original wife and 3 dogs living in the heart of BBQ country in Round Rock Texas. 

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."

Albert Einstein