Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Raising the Grid

I know this has been discussed ad nauseum, but in an effort to distill opinions, I was hoping to find a simple and inexpensive way to raise the grid for direct cooking.  The height I would like is like having the platesetter legs up but without the platesetter

I would also like to avoid having to buy the elegant but very expensive solutions, especially when you add shipping to Canada

Best thought I have so far is a couple of firebricks, but am having some trouble understanding how this would be stable sitting on such a narrow shelf on the edge of the firebox

Thanks

·

Comments

• fishlessmanfishlessman Posts: 17,134
    if you have a large buy fire bricks and a webber grid from their 18.5 kettle, places like homedepot have the grids instock, use it as the lower grid, then firebricks on top, then the bge grid. buy a few extra bricks to lay flat down the center and you can have an inderect area as well as a direct area.
    ·
  • gdenbygdenby Posts: 4,522
    3 fire brick splits work just fine on my mediums. Also, if you have or can get a spare grill that is the right size, buy some long bolts, broad washers, and a nuts, and build legs for the grill.

When I made mine, I went thru the expense of finding stainless hardware. There was subsequent forum discussion, and it turns out i could have saved some $ by going w. much more common zinc coated. The hazard presented by zinc is not significant.
    ·
  • travisstricktravisstrick Posts: 4,822
    Beer cans, tin foil balls or bricks.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
    ·
  • The Naked WhizThe Naked Whiz Posts: 7,780
    edited May 2013
    Some bolts and washers are pretty inexpensive for making a raised grid.  I still use the one I made 11 years ago when I first got my large.

How To Make A Raised Grid

The Naked Whiz
    ·
  • henapplehenapple Posts: 14,435

u

Empty cans I assume...

Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
    ·
  • jimfastcarjimfastcar Posts: 88
    Thanks all
    ·
  • SkiddymarkerSkiddymarker Posts: 7,083
    henapple said:
    u Empty cans I assume...
    Unless its PBR, then the beer is better for ballast than it is for drinking.... =))
    Delta B.C. - Vee-Gan: old Indian word for poor hunter. 
    ·
  • Regular cement pavers.  Don't overthink it.image

"Where the weak grow strong and the strong grow great, Here's to "Down Home," the Old North State!"

Med & XL

·
  • i went to an ace store and they didn't have any bricks or pavers. i was quite confused so when i got home that day i looked around the house to see what i had.... 3 river stones of equal size and shape and a spider wok attachment with a cast iron grid on top to reach felt level. 

imageimage

that might jog your creativity
    ·
  • boatbumboatbum Posts: 1,273

I use 3 pavers I had left over from a project.  No problems yet.

Cookin in Texas
    ·
  • cajunduckcajunduck Posts: 203
    I use two grids. One on the fire ring and one above my four fire bricks on my large. I shape the bricks in a diamond pattern. The bricks sit stable like that.
    Geaux Tigers!! West Monroe, Louisiana
    ·
  • The Naked WhizThe Naked Whiz Posts: 7,780
    edited May 2013
    By the way, if you are really desperate for fire brick splits, you can order a box of 6 from Ace Hardware for $20.  Outrageous, yes, but if you are desperate.  My web page shows a couple of other uses, like indirect cooking.

Rutland Fire Brick Splits

Also, I happened to get lucky (no, not like a sailor) and found some full size fire bricks at a Home Depot in Smithfield NC.  I used a brick chisel to knock them into halves for raising a grid.  Never seen them in HD since, though.  I bought about 100 of them from a brick yard once, also.
    The Naked Whiz
    ·