Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone enjoyed their Fourth of July weekend and is excited for more warm weather grilling! This week, we’ll be making these two burgers: Stuffed Portobello Mushroom and Caribbean Chicken, and also eating lots of these Ice Cream Sandwiches in honor of National Ice Cream Month! It's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

Himalayan salt block Tilapia, Sweet peppers, and scallops

2»

Comments

• GriffinGriffin Posts: 5,997
    And I know what kinda people they employ at the waste water treatment plant up here. :))

Richardson, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

• NDGNDG Posts: 781
    looks good . . . but what is the advantage of using a salt block?  I have never tried and  I am just not getting comfortable with using alder planks for fish.  Do you feel the advantage of a salt block outweighs the potential issues such as "too salty" and "sticking"?  
    Columbus, Ohio
  • Village IdiotVillage Idiot Posts: 6,947
    NDG said:
    looks good . . . but what is the advantage of using a salt block?  I have never tried and  I am just not getting comfortable with using alder planks for fish.  Do you feel the advantage of a salt block outweighs the potential issues such as "too salty" and "sticking"?  
    Excellent question.  Supposedly, Himalayan Salt Blocks add healthy minerals to your food and give it a slightly salty taste. The blocks are mined from millions of years old sea salt.  I've really only used it on seafood --- shrimp, fish, scallops.  As I said in my first post, my wife thought the block gave the thin fish too much of a salt taste (I didn't think so).  As far as sticking, I pour a little oil (I use peanut oil) on it then spread it around with a paper towel.  No sticking for me.
    Could I live without it ?  Sure.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Gateway to the Hill Country

• NDGNDG Posts: 781
    Interesting, I figured it was based around keeping the fish extra moist, somewhat like a "brine while cooking" thing.  Guess I was wrong.  Anyway, I am a sucker for the "supposedly healthy" claims, so I am looking up prices now.  Here we go! 
    Columbus, Ohio