Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Himalayan salt block Tilapia, Sweet peppers, and scallops

2»

Comments

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    And I know what kinda people they employ at the waste water treatment plant up here. :))

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    looks good . . . but what is the advantage of using a salt block?  I have never tried and  I am just not getting comfortable with using alder planks for fish.  Do you feel the advantage of a salt block outweighs the potential issues such as "too salty" and "sticking"?  
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    NDG said:
    looks good . . . but what is the advantage of using a salt block?  I have never tried and  I am just not getting comfortable with using alder planks for fish.  Do you feel the advantage of a salt block outweighs the potential issues such as "too salty" and "sticking"?  
    Excellent question.  Supposedly, Himalayan Salt Blocks add healthy minerals to your food and give it a slightly salty taste. The blocks are mined from millions of years old sea salt.  I've really only used it on seafood --- shrimp, fish, scallops.  As I said in my first post, my wife thought the block gave the thin fish too much of a salt taste (I didn't think so).  As far as sticking, I pour a little oil (I use peanut oil) on it then spread it around with a paper towel.  No sticking for me.
    Could I live without it ?  Sure.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    Interesting, I figured it was based around keeping the fish extra moist, somewhat like a "brine while cooking" thing.  Guess I was wrong.  Anyway, I am a sucker for the "supposedly healthy" claims, so I am looking up prices now.  Here we go! 
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is”