Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Brazilian Churrasco!

Central Market is selling Brazilian items this week, so I stocked up. They were even selling picanha, which is virtually impossible to find in the U.S. We had a good time turning the BGE into a Brazilian BBQ pit. Bacon wrapped chicken, green chile pork loin, and picanha. It all turned out really good. Thanks for looking.

·

Comments

• calikingcaliking Posts: 7,060
    Nice! That looks amazing! Were they selling the skewers too?

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
    ·
  • Federalist226Federalist226 Posts: 82
    edited April 2013
    Yes, the 26" skewers were only $5 each! I now own many of them.
    :\">
    ·
  • Richard FlRichard Fl Posts: 7,875

Great looking meal.  I have some similiar skewers 16" blade and 5 1/2 " handle. some wood and some aluminum.  Made in Brazil, but great for tandoori.

http://www.greeneggers.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=721499&catid=1

·
  • CPARKTXCPARKTX Posts: 1,067
    edited April 2013
    That looks great, and I love Brazalian BBQ. Please tell me more about your setup...what temp, and what function is the brick I see in the photo playing?
    LBGE & SBGE.  Central Texas.  
    ·
  • I didn't track the temp because the lid was open the whole time (lower vent closed to keep the flames from getting too big). I shoved the skewers under the brick to keep them flat, otherwise, they wanted to roll toward the heavy side. I'm holding the beef skewer flat with my hand in the pic.
    ·
  • RichardFL, that looks like a very interesting setup! I'll have to create a base like that and give it a try. I wonder if my old fire grate (replaced by a High Que) would work or could be easily modified to work.
    ·
  • Richard FlRichard Fl Posts: 7,875
    Next time I do tandoori, I will just stick the skewers in the holes of the fire grate and see what happens.
    RichardFL, that looks like a very interesting setup! I'll have to create a base like that and give it a try. I wonder if my old fire grate (replaced by a High Que) would work or could be easily modified to work.

·
  • GriffinGriffin Posts: 6,965
    Somehow I missed this thread. Very cool cook. Tuesday, I picked up two of those same skewers and some porco temperado parmesao) parmesan crusted pork tenderloins like at Brazilian steakhouses. Gonna do those tonight. I asked the butcher if the picanha was going to be a temporary thing for this Brazilian theme, and he said I could get it anytime. That they would cut it for me if they didn't have it. Just ask for the top sirloin cap is what he told me. This was at the Central Market in Plano, don't know if they do it everywhere, but they should be able to.

Richardson, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

·
  • hapsterhapster Posts: 7,052
    Man that looks amazing...

What does the picanha go for $/lb normally?
    ·
  • The picanha was $10.99/lb. Awfully expensive for sirloin, but it's a fun cook.
    hapster said:
    Man that looks amazing...

What does the picanha go for $/lb normally?
    I look forward to a full report on the porco temperado parmesao!
    Griffin said:

·
  • calikingcaliking Posts: 7,060

@Federalist226: do you know what the part number for the Rutland gasket is? Have I already asked you this before? Sorry... didn't mean to be an OT pest :)

Picanha is on for tonight. I'm going to crust it with some pink Himalayan salt that I have.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
    ·
  • SmoothSmokeSmoothSmoke Posts: 141
    Looking good man.  It's much cheaper to cut your own picanha off a whole top sirloin butt, not to mention super easy!!
    ·
  • That's a good idea, SmoothSmoke! I'll look into that option.
    ·
    My local Costco sells the whole block at $3.79/lb.  The picanha is easy to find, it's the cap muscle on the block.  Very easy to separate from the other muscles. 

http://smoothsmoke.blogspot.com/2013/04/how-to-cut-picanha-from-whole-top.html
    ·
  • That is excellent, SmoothSmoke! I will absolutely do that. What do you do with the rest of the sirloin? Burgers? Have you spent any time in Brasil?
    ·
    Thanks!  I've spent time in Colombia, which neighbors Brasil.  I cut one part into a loin medallion and the rest steaks.  But then I ended up grinding up some of the steakss for Kefta kabobs. 

Here is a good video that shows the whole process. 

·
  • BillPinNCBillPinNC Posts: 68
    Great thread, love Picanha, now I know how to get it in the US!
    ·