Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

"The Baking Steel" Group Buy

12345679»

Comments

• fletcherfam
    fletcherfam Posts: 935
    They should be round, she may not know about the custom order though, Andris would be the best to ask.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    edited April 2013
    I only thought to ask at the end of the conversation. Glad I did. I too put the info in order. Not only that but Andris e-mailed me back and asked the diameter after the fact and I responded.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• double
    double Posts: 1,214
    I was a little surprised that I received an email saying mine was ready. It's going to be pretty funny if we all get rectangular ones!
    Lynnwood WA
  • fletcherfam
    @double, yea I hope not. Just emailed Andris to make sure.
  • fletcherfam
    All, I just got an email from Andris. He said he is aware of what is going on and is handling all orders personally. The steels will be round!! ;)
  • fletcherfam
    To clarify, production is starting next week on our steels. I believe some of the "orders complete" are the processing on Andris' side. I don't know that he has made any quite yet. Just didn't want anyone getting upset waiting for the "it shipped" email tomorrow or Saturday.
  • double

To clarify, production is starting next week on our steels. I believe some of the "orders complete" are the processing on Andris' side. I don't know that he has made any quite yet. Just didn't want anyone getting upset waiting for the "it shipped" email tomorrow or Saturday.

Dang I was about to start selling rectangular eggs ;-)

Thanks for the follow up Fletch

Lynnwood WA
  • QDude
    QDude Posts: 1,052
    I just sent an email to the company changing the order for my XL.  I had thought that the biggest round (21") would be best, but from the comments here, I believe that would limit me from getting it up higher in the dome and the air flow might be restricted.  So I requested that they send me a 19" instead.  I hope they get the change order in time.

Northern Colorado Egghead since 2012.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

• Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Has anyone gotten their steel yet?
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • fletcherfam
    I talked to Andris today, he is making the final cut list an the steels today and will make them over the weekend for shipment early next week.
  • EvansEgger
    EvansEgger Posts: 54
    Thanks for the update. I knew he was slammed after our orders and the Modernist Cuisine special order one coming out at about the same time. Glad I decided to order this.
    Go Hogs Go
  • TFols
    TFols Posts: 241
    Just got an e-mail from Andris this morning confirming size and shape. Can't wait to get this thing!
    Bloomfield, NJ
  • double
    Yep got the same email I went down to a 20 inch for my XL. Super excited about another toy :-) has anyone considered storage? I'm guessing leaving it outside like I treat my pizza stone is not a good idea...
    Lynnwood WA
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    double said:

Yep got the same email I went down to a 20 inch for my XL. Super excited about another toy :-) has anyone considered storage? I'm guessing leaving it outside like I treat my pizza stone is not a good idea...

Wondered the same thing. I have a empty drawer in my house that is big enough. I think I'm going to line it with a old towel and it will live there.

Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • HDmstng
    HDmstng Posts: 192
    Got an email confirmation on size as well today.  Is the 16" for the large too big in that there will be hot spots where the platesetter won't cover the steel?  Should I drop to a smaller dia?  And if so, how small?  I liked the idea of the 16" for larger premade pies such as from Costco, etc...
  • EvansEgger
    EvansEgger Posts: 54
    16" is perfect for the large. Great to cook at any level on it. I have a 16" stone and there is plenty of room in a large (high in the dome, a lot of space for it to breath, etc).
    Go Hogs Go
  • BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    edited May 2013
    Agreed.  I've been using a 16" stone in my large for almost three years and have had no problems.

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • rcone
    rcone Posts: 219
    Does anyone know size of order we generated? 
    "Feed me, or feed me to something; I just want to be part of the food chain" Al Bundy

LBGE, SBGE, Carson Rotisserie, Blackstone Griddle  

Milwaukee, Wisconsin 
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    I don't know the exact count, but i did hear that the U.S. Navy had to cut back on their ship building because of a shortage of steel.....
  • fletcherfam
    @rcone, we ordered over 50 I know that.
  • po3po3
    po3po3 Posts: 3
    oh darn...I totally missed out on this:(
  • pacobox
    pacobox Posts: 8
    i'm assuming it's too late to get in on this? looking for a round baking steel for a Large egg
  • fletcherfam
    @pacobox, yea sorry. You can still order one, will just cost you a little more coin.
  • BOWHUNR
    I'm surprised he doesn't offer a discount to the forum even if it was just to waive the fee for the custom shape.  I own a small business and I would if it were me.  It's just good business  I 'll bet he's never had an order of that size before, and let's face it, he's cutting them with a CNC machine so there is no more labor involved and a minimal amount of scrap which can also be recycled.

Mike

Omaha, NE
  • Justacookin
    Justacookin Posts: 291
    Bowhunter I missed out also. But he did everybody on here a favor, was nice to do and he will probably do it again if asked. Why tell him how to run a business.
    XL & waiting for my Mini Max Bloomington MN.
  • BOWHUNR
    @Justacookin I didn't miss out.  I bought a 16" round and received it Monday, and feel lucky to get such a good deal.  I don't believe anywhere in my post I told him how to run his business, I said what I would do if I were in his position.  I will tell you this though.  I would have bought two more, one for my mini and one for my small had it not been for the "flat rate" that he set.   The guys that bought them for XL's and Larges got a great deal in my opinion, medium on down not so much, in fact not even realistic.

It's a rookie mistake and trust me, I've made plenty of them along the way.  Sometimes when you're starting out it's hard to see the forest through the trees.

Mike

Mike 

Omaha, NE