Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Raising the Grid

I know this has been discussed ad nauseum, but in an effort to distill opinions, I was hoping to find a simple and inexpensive way to raise the grid for direct cooking.  The height I would like is like having the platesetter legs up but without the platesetter

I would also like to avoid having to buy the elegant but very expensive solutions, especially when you add shipping to Canada

Best thought I have so far is a couple of firebricks, but am having some trouble understanding how this would be stable sitting on such a narrow shelf on the edge of the firebox

Thanks

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,657
    if you have a large buy fire bricks and a webber grid from their 18.5 kettle, places like homedepot have the grids instock, use it as the lower grid, then firebricks on top, then the bge grid. buy a few extra bricks to lay flat down the center and you can have an inderect area as well as a direct area.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    3 fire brick splits work just fine on my mediums. Also, if you have or can get a spare grill that is the right size, buy some long bolts, broad washers, and a nuts, and build legs for the grill.

When I made mine, I went thru the expense of finding stainless hardware. There was subsequent forum discussion, and it turns out i could have saved some $ by going w. much more common zinc coated. The hazard presented by zinc is not significant.
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Beer cans, tin foil balls or bricks.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    edited May 2013
    Some bolts and washers are pretty inexpensive for making a raised grid.  I still use the one I made 11 years ago when I first got my large.

How To Make A Raised Grid

The Naked Whiz
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025

u

Empty cans I assume...

Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    henapple said:
    u Empty cans I assume...
    Unless its PBR, then the beer is better for ballast than it is for drinking.... =))
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Regular cement pavers.  Don't overthink it.image

"Where the weak grow strong and the strong grow great, Here's to "Down Home," the Old North State!"

Med & XL

• i went to an ace store and they didn't have any bricks or pavers. i was quite confused so when i got home that day i looked around the house to see what i had.... 3 river stones of equal size and shape and a spider wok attachment with a cast iron grid on top to reach felt level. 

imageimage

that might jog your creativity
  • boatbum
    boatbum Posts: 1,273

I use 3 pavers I had left over from a project.  No problems yet.

Cookin in Texas
  • cajunduck
    cajunduck Posts: 203
    I use two grids. One on the fire ring and one above my four fire bricks on my large. I shape the bricks in a diamond pattern. The bricks sit stable like that.
    Geaux Tigers!! West Monroe, Louisiana
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    edited May 2013
    By the way, if you are really desperate for fire brick splits, you can order a box of 6 from Ace Hardware for $20.  Outrageous, yes, but if you are desperate.  My web page shows a couple of other uses, like indirect cooking.

Rutland Fire Brick Splits

Also, I happened to get lucky (no, not like a sailor) and found some full size fire bricks at a Home Depot in Smithfield NC.  I used a brick chisel to knock them into halves for raising a grid.  Never seen them in HD since, though.  I bought about 100 of them from a brick yard once, also.
    The Naked Whiz