Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Old cedar planks

Options
GQuiz
GQuiz Posts: 701
Just curious... After using the planks to cook salmon, once they're basically trashed, anyone ever break them into smaller chunks and use them to supplement the lump? You know, like you would do with apple, cherry or mesquite.

XL BGE; Schertz TX by way of Stow OH. #egghead4life

Comments

• TUTTLE871
    TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,316
    Options
    I would'nt, I would think you would get a fishy odor coming off the wood. But it's worth a try and see waht happens.

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• tamu2009
    tamu2009 Posts: 387
    Options
    I've been wondering the same thing. I have a few planks from my last cook, and it pains me to think about just throwing them away...
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    LBGE 2013 - MiniMax 2015 - Seemingly every accessory the fine folks at CGS sell - Fightin' Texas Aggie till I die - Gig 'Em - Located in the bright lights of Dallas
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    You guys aren't just using them once are you?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    If you have one, toss them into the fireplace or green re-cycle if your community does that sort of thing. Mine are pretty much charcoal when I'm done, average is about 4 cooks to the shake. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • EvansEgger
    EvansEgger Posts: 54
    Options
    I clean them off and reuse them. I usually can get a good number of cooks off of them.
    Go Hogs Go
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    If you have one, toss them into the fireplace or green re-cycle if your community does that sort of thing. Mine are pretty much charcoal when I'm done, average is about 4 cooks to the shake. 
    Are you using shakes? I'm picturing guys buying $7.00 planks and tossing them after a single use.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• SWVABeanCounter
    Options
    I usually get 3 cooks per plank and I'll chop em up and toss them in only when I'm going to cook more salmon.

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014

• GQuiz
    GQuiz Posts: 701
    Options
    I'm getting three cooks out of them. I just figured if the cedar imparted such a great taste underneath the fish, it would do the same in the fire. I'll save for a future fish cook. Thanks

XL BGE; Schertz TX by way of Stow OH. #egghead4life