Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Gluten Free Pesto Pizza

Options
TUTTLE871
TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,316

So the wife and I have been eating healthy the last few weeks and it is paying off (Already lost 8 LBS). Well I wanted a pizza bad tonight and I saw this gluten free pizza dough at Jimmy's (Local Itallian Market in Dallas) and I had to try it. The first pie I made was my homemade pesto, Jimmys spicy sauasge, thin sliced new potatoes done up in a little EVOO with rosemary in the skillet, and then topped with some gorgonzola. Second Pie was Pesto, Prosciutto, Tomato, and some Mozzarella.

I am not sure how healthy it was but cutting out the gluten helped a bit. This was my first attempt at doing a pesto pie and the wife said this will be made many more times in the future.

We only ate one pie in total so I have some left overs for lunch tomorrow. I will sleep well knowing that tonight.

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

Comments

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    How was the dough? It almost looks like a tortilla. Looks fantastic either way!
  • TUTTLE871
    Options
    Dough was real good, it was very tortilla thin. But I like thin crust pizza.

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Options
    Both pies look very good and yet very interesting...  I like the thin crust!
  • ibanda
    ibanda Posts: 553
    edited May 2013
    Options
    After SMU, I moved with several roommates to a big but sorta run down house on Swiss Ave. about 2 blocks from Jimmy's Market. I miss that place. Pizza looks great!
    "Bacon tastes gooood, pork chops taste gooood." - Vincent Vega, Pulp Fiction
    Small and Large BGE in Oklahoma City.
  • Federalist226
    Federalist226 Posts: 82
    edited May 2013
    Options
    SSSHHHHH don't tell everybody about Jimmy's! ;) I tried the gluten free crust from Jimmy's a couple of weeks ago and it was ... interesting. But your pizza looks better than the one I did.
  • DeaconKav
    DeaconKav Posts: 84
    Options
    jimmy's is one of those hidden gems in Dallas, so to keep it all to ourselves...what jimmy's?
  • TUTTLE871
    Options
    Jimmy's who? Don't tell @griffin or he will be taking the journey down here and ruining my good name there.

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• Federalist226
    Federalist226 Posts: 82
    edited May 2013
    Options
    I would hate for anyone else to learn that Jimmy's sells the very hard to find 00 Animo Caputo flour...
  • TUTTLE871
    Options

And hard to find meats and cheese.

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options

Jimmy who? Never heard of it, never been there. I don't stop there every time I go down to my friend's house that lives a few blocks away. And no...they don't carry guanciale so don't go looking for it there. ;)

Now about the pizzas...where are the pics? Am I missing something? Do you know what was in the dough?

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• SmokinDAWG82
    SmokinDAWG82 Posts: 1,705
    Options
    Both look great but that Pesto pie looks freaking awesome
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • Griffin
    Options
    Ok...now I see the pics. Awesome!

Rowlett, Texas

• TUTTLE871
    Options

@griffin not sure what was in the dough. I would think a tapioca flour or something like that, I bought them pre made.

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• Griffin
    Options
    I need to look into whether I can have tapioca flour. If I can, I'll check it out.

Rowlett, Texas

• Griffin
    Options

Quick search for tapioca flour produced this:

Tapioca flour is one of the “safe starches.” That is, it’s a toxin-free, antinutrient-less, dense source of carbohydrate. I wouldn’t exactly compare it to coconut flour, which is extremely high in fiber, low in digestible carbs, and really soaks up the liquid in a recipe. Tapioca flour can be treated more like potato or rice starch. It’s a classic carby flour, albeit one without gluten and other noted toxins.

For someone with good glucose control, tapioca is a decent source of carbs. If you’re looking to add carbohydrates, or your activity level warrants it, go ahead and try it out. Since tapioca comes from cassava, which is perhaps the most popular source of starch across the entire world, it’s not like it’s a dietary unknown. To venture into tapioca territory is to travel a well-beaten path. Just realize that anytime you turn something into flour, you massively increase the speed at which it breaks down into usable energy. High energy burners in need of a quick hit may find that to be a plus, while more sedentary individuals might react poorly to a quick infusion of glucose (especially if it’s not going to be utilized right away or sequestered into already swollen muscle glycogen stores). Your call based on your context"

Rowlett, Texas

• TUTTLE871
    Options
    @griffin Thats an interesting read about tapioca flour.

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• Griffin
    Options
    I'm going to hold off a bit longer. I don't think I have "good glucose control" quite yet, but I'll give it a go when I get further along. My blood glucose levels have fallen quite a bit and I'm generally under 110 now in the morning after an 8 hour overnight fast, even hit 96 the other day. I go back to the Doc next week and we'll see what he has to say about it.

Rowlett, Texas