Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Outdoor fire pit cooking post

Options
slo-ryd
slo-ryd Posts: 27
I've had this idea in my head for a couple of years, and with some help from a talented friend it's become a reality. Growing up, my grandfather always had a pot of northern bean soup cooking over an open fire. This is my adaptation of that, allowing for simultaneous kettle cooking over the fire and a table to cook using a Dutch Oven. To say it's overbuilt is understatement, the table is made of half inch plate to prevent warping and all the parts are powder coated :)image
LBGE w/modified Whiz table, Webers and such.

Comments

• SmokinDAWG82
    SmokinDAWG82 Posts: 1,705
    Options
    That's cool, but won't the powder coating burn off?
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • slo-ryd
    Options
    I think it would burn off the table if I put coals directly on it, but I set it on a double wall cookie sheet (T-fal Air Bake) and it does fine. If it becomes an issue, we'll sandblast the powder off and go the high heat paint route. The coals hit 700 degrees with a heat gun and the table never got over 200 degrees.
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    Really cool post
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,471
    Options
    Ironically I just had a gas line installed this morning in my backyard, and next Monday a hujazz chunk of limestone with a firepit carved into it's top, for a backyard landscaping I'm doing right now.  This Friday I'm visiting the limestone company to pick one out, and because of this thread I'm gonna see if they can drill a hole in the limestone next to the pit, for a cooking pole like yours.

While I love bean soup, I'm thinking a fondue pot instead, over my firepit, for my weekly visit of the Weber State University women's volleyball team.  w00t, this is gonna be FUN!  
    :-bd  :-bd  :-bd

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• slo-ryd
    Options
    Botch, I can't wait to see pics of that setup!
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Toooooo Cool
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Very neat!

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Options
    Very nice! Any possibility for a grill attachment for some grilling over the pit?
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • slo-ryd
    Options
    R2Egg2Q, that is on the drawing board ;) I was thinking about a bracket that would hold a stock 18" or 22" Weber grate.
  • Chubby
    Chubby Posts: 2,955
    Options

That is very very nice!!! I appreciate elegant design and great workmanship!!

I see it there in spades!!!

Evans

I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • slo-ryd
    Options
    Thanks Chubby! I've worked with metal since I was old enough to hold a buzz box stinger, but my buddy is an metal work artist with the mind of a machinist. I would have welded a rod on a bolt head for that locking collar, whereas he cross drilled a square head bolt and put a roll pin through it with rubber caps on the end. The decorative round stock on the swing arm was his idea too, which makes an excellent tool holder. After a five minute phone conversation, he knew what I wanted and made it better than I imagined.