Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Outdoor fire pit cooking post

slo-rydslo-ryd Posts: 27
I've had this idea in my head for a couple of years, and with some help from a talented friend it's become a reality. Growing up, my grandfather always had a pot of northern bean soup cooking over an open fire. This is my adaptation of that, allowing for simultaneous kettle cooking over the fire and a table to cook using a Dutch Oven. To say it's overbuilt is understatement, the table is made of half inch plate to prevent warping and all the parts are powder coated :) image
LBGE w/modified Whiz table, Webers and such.
·

Comments

• SmokinDAWG82SmokinDAWG82 Posts: 1,704
    That's cool, but won't the powder coating burn off?
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
    ·
  • slo-rydslo-ryd Posts: 27
    I think it would burn off the table if I put coals directly on it, but I set it on a double wall cookie sheet (T-fal Air Bake) and it does fine. If it becomes an issue, we'll sandblast the powder off and go the high heat paint route. The coals hit 700 degrees with a heat gun and the table never got over 200 degrees.
    ·
  • ChubbsChubbs Posts: 5,457
    Really cool post
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
    ·
  • BotchBotch Posts: 3,282
    Ironically I just had a gas line installed this morning in my backyard, and next Monday a hujazz chunk of limestone with a firepit carved into it's top, for a backyard landscaping I'm doing right now.  This Friday I'm visiting the limestone company to pick one out, and because of this thread I'm gonna see if they can drill a hole in the limestone next to the pit, for a cooking pole like yours.

While I love bean soup, I'm thinking a fondue pot instead, over my firepit, for my weekly visit of the Weber State University women's volleyball team.  w00t, this is gonna be FUN!  
    :-bd  :-bd  :-bd

Live fast, die young, and leave a well-marbled corpse.  

Ogden, Utard.  
    ·
    Botch, I can't wait to see pics of that setup!
    ·
  • MickeyMickey Posts: 16,472
    Toooooo Cool
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, just added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

·
  • calikingcaliking Posts: 7,063
    Very neat!

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
    ·
  • R2Egg2QR2Egg2Q Posts: 1,652
    Very nice! Any possibility for a grill attachment for some grilling over the pit?
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs
    Bay Area, CA
    ·
    R2Egg2Q, that is on the drawing board ;) I was thinking about a bracket that would hold a stock 18" or 22" Weber grate.
    ·
  • ChubbyChubby Posts: 2,939

That is very very nice!!! I appreciate elegant design and great workmanship!!

I see it there in spades!!!

Evans

I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
    ·
    Thanks Chubby! I've worked with metal since I was old enough to hold a buzz box stinger, but my buddy is an metal work artist with the mind of a machinist. I would have welded a rod on a bolt head for that locking collar, whereas he cross drilled a square head bolt and put a roll pin through it with rubber caps on the end. The decorative round stock on the swing arm was his idea too, which makes an excellent tool holder. After a five minute phone conversation, he knew what I wanted and made it better than I imagined.
    ·