Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Are you happy it’s finally National BBQ Month? While we like to BBQ year round, May is our favorite because the whole country is celebrating delicious food. If you’re new to cooking BBQ on your EGG, check out our Smoking Basics Publication...if not, proceed to some of our favorite recipes! We love Dr. BBQ’s Coffee Rubbed Brisket, Famous Dave’s Sticky Ribs and Virginia Willis’ Pulled Pork. Pair with this cheesy favorite for a winning way to start off May!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Need help with adjustments

So I am looking at possibly replacing my gasket with a rutland gasket. Before I do this i wanted to get some clarifications on the alignments of my egg before i do though. So the problem i have been experiencing has been that it seems like my lid is ripping off the back part of the gasket where the hinge is. When i replaced the seal the last time i adjusted the lid, but it seems like it made the problem worse this time around. So i was wondering if someone could point me in the right direction. I have included some pictures of what is happening to the gasket. Thanks
·

Comments

• Charlie tunaCharlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    I had and, now again have the same problem.  It is caused by the settllement of the back side of the dome.  As the hinged area of the dome lowers it is almost like a grinding situation of the gasket in the hinged area.  I need to replace my rutland, and somehow secure the dome in place to close properly.
    ·
  • BullibeBullibe Posts: 132
    Mine is doing the same thing ! I have a new gasket but have not installed it, for fear, without correction it will be ruined as well.
    Redneck Riviera, Gulf Shores, Alabama
    ·
  • Fred19FlintstoneFred19Flintstone Posts: 5,250
    edited May 2013

Check out the video in this thread.  It walks you through alignment and it's really good.

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/comment/1225692/#Comment_1225692

........................................................................................

Flint, Michigan.  Named the most dangerous city in America by the F.B.I. three years running.

We invented the U.A.W. and carjacking!

·
  • B&BKnoxB&BKnox Posts: 234
    Thats the video, great by the way, but your gasket looks melted in back and like it slipped outwards to some degree from the high heat and assisted by the dome fit.  I would replace the gasket with a rutland, then follow this video to align and set your dome.  I have had not issues with my dome and after I replaced stock gasket with a rutland I followed the video.  Then again i had no issue with the original gasket other than melting and burning.
    Be Well

Knoxville TN
    ·
  • I planned on following this guide of installing the rutland gasket 
    http://www.nakedwhiz.com/rutlandgasket/gasket.htm

Is this a good guide or is there a better guide that i havent seen yet
    ·