Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope you had a hoppy Easter and are ready to spring into warm weather cooking mode! There’s nothing better than spending time outdoors with the sweet aroma of fresh cooked Ribs. Baseball season is also underway, so it's the perfect time to try out some chicken wing variations! We have Jamaican Jerk, Lemon Pepper, Fired-Up Wings and even a Whiskey Onion and Chicken Steak if wings aren't your thing. Bon appetit!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Pulled pork for 25 people.. And set up

I buy boneless pork shoulder packages from Costco. I have a large bge. I have no idea how much to buy or cook up. Also I don't have any sort of adjustable rig so can I fit more then three on the grid?
·

Comments

• TUTTLE871TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,316

Thats two 8 Pounders right there, Bone in though.

Photo3.JPG 374.5K

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

·
  • mountaindewbassmountaindewbass Posts: 1,725
    So I only need two for 25 people?
    ·
  • Little StevenLittle Steven Posts: 27,258

The formula I've always used is raw weight x .6.

Then 1/3 lb per person.

Easy to make more.

The other one is 2.4 servings per pound of raw weight

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
    I like the first one. So 18lbs will feed 30people then right
    ·
  • TUTTLE871TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,316
    As what LS wrote that sounds real close, some people eat more and less and plus sides also. You should be good with two 8 pounders.

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

·
  • shtgunal3shtgunal3 Posts: 2,902
    I've done 3 8lbers on my large at the same time. Fed 12 adults on day 1. 7 adults on day 2, and 6 adults on day 3 with leftovers.

LBGE,SBGE, and a mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

·
  • Little StevenLittle Steven Posts: 27,258
    edited May 2013

But do three anyway. You can use leftovers for ABT's, pizza, tacos, or more sammies.

I did two for a girl at work for a party and one guy ate eleven sandwiches

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
    What kind of set up for three? Two on grate one on elevated grate. Any suggestion on where to buy pork shoulder. Costco sales in packs of two, I don't have freezer space for an extra shoulder. So I'm thinking of buying one two pack from Costco... Where to buy the third? I have publix and Walmart.... North fl
    ·
  • Charlie tunaCharlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    edited May 2013
    You need 12.5 pounds of finished product, so two Costco butts should do it.  I agree with "Little Steven" -- do three, and freeze the fourth butt.  A large will have no problem fitting three butts on the raised grid(gasket level).
    ·
    Here's four Costco Butts on a large.
    ·
  • ShadowNickShadowNick Posts: 519
    I've done two 8 pounders on the medium, standing them up on their sides... And ate it all myself over the course of 8 days. Gotta love the Paleo diet.
    Chicago, Illinois
    ·
  • SmokeyPittSmokeyPitt Posts: 5,976
    I agree- 16 lbs or so should be sufficient.  Most people are probably going to eat a sammich.  I also agree that pulled pork leftovers are great to have around, so go with three or four. You can also send some leftovers home with your guests.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

·
  • smokesniffersmokesniffer Posts: 1,709
    Does anyone have a recipe for dipping sauce. We have a sauce we can buy called House of Q, it has awesome flavor, but I would like to be able to make our own. I like to have a thicker type of sauce, if anyone can share, I would be grateful. TIA.
    ·
  • calikingcaliking Posts: 6,718
    Definitely make more than what you'll need. There isnt a thing that pulled pork isnt good for - nachos, soup, egg rolls, stuffed buns, tacos, burritos, pizzas, sammiches, etc.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
    ·
  • ChubbsChubbs Posts: 4,784
    How many of the 25 are women?
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
    ·
    Little over half l
    ·
  • ChubbsChubbs Posts: 4,784
    Only need 2. Bet you will have leftovers too.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
    ·
  • SkinnyVSkinnyV Posts: 2,485
    Agreed Costco 2 pack feeds all those people easy. Make some slaw and beans.... Maybe veggies and humus. Done
    Seattle, WA
    ·
  • Plano_JJPlano_JJ Posts: 448
    I agree as well. Two Costco butts have fed everyone in my family on 3 or 4 occasions. 
    ·
    Mk. Going to go with a two pack from Costco. Done and done
    ·
  • TwoCooksTwoCooks Posts: 35
    Mountain, been silently reading about this for a couple of days and just the comments here makes my mouth water.  We are new to BGE with only one cook under our belts when we got a drift of the May snow this week.  Been planning a longer Butt cook next.  I have been taking notes from all the great advice offered here.  Hope to hear about the results on this. 
    ·
    OK.. So I ended up buying two pork shoulders from the fresh market. One 11 pounder and one 9 pounder both boneless. Had really good luck with the last 12lb I bought from there last time. Excited to cook them up tomorrow. :-)
    ·
  • stlcharcoalstlcharcoal Posts: 1,112

I always make as much as I can stuff in the BGE.  Pork shoulder and beef brisket is so cheap, there's no reason not to fill it up.  I send everyone home with a doggie bag, take some over to the neighbors, and bring the rest to work.

Two weeks ago I did 32 lbs of butt on the XL, a 18 lbs whole packer brisket on the Large, and 5 lbs of smoked sausage on the Medium.  30 people at the b-day / charcoal season kick-off party.  We ate about half at the party, and 1/4 went home as leftovers, and the other 1/4 went to work and was gone the next day.  $70 in meat made a LOT of people very happy.

Connect:  Website  -  Facebook  -  Twitter

·
  • Black_BadgerBlack_Badger Posts: 912
    Wow @stlcharcoal, that much meat in SoCal would be WAY more than $70. The brisket alone would be close to that. Sometimes I think 11 months or stellar weather just isn't worth it...

BTW, I think I saw on another thread that you make charcoal. Do you have a SoCal distributor?

Cheers -
    B_B
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
    ·
    Don't forget the pictures??  Sounds like you have everything planned out!!
    ·
  • milesbrown4milesbrown4 Posts: 314
    I agree with @Black_Badger, I need to buy wherever @stlcharcoal buys - those are good prices.  Brisket alone is at least $38-40 for USDA Choice.

Good luck with the cook!  A foodsaver makes a big cook like this last quite a while.  
    ·
    Same here, brisket is near four bucks a pound, but when i compare the cost of chicken wings at almost three bucks a pound, i guess it ain't too bad? ;)
    ·
  • YEMTreyYEMTrey Posts: 2,188
    Thanks for this info.  I'm gonna make some pulled pork for my son's graduation party.  There will be other food, cold cuts, etc.  But I think most people are going to go for the pulled pork.  Plan on putting as many shoulders on my XL as I can fit and cooking'em up!
    XL BGE and Mini Max in Cincinnati, Ohio
    "REMEMBER DUANE ALLMAN"
    ·

I got all that at Restaurant Depot.....

$1.18/lb for 2 - 8lbs bone-in pork butts ($1.28 w/o the bone, $1.09 for the picnic shoulder.)

$2.49/lbs for Angus Brisket (I think the non-Angus was a $2.29?)

Every month the local groceries will run deals on pork butts for $0.99-$1.29 /lbs pork butts.   It used to be as low as $0.79/lbs 5-6 yrs ago before corn prices went crazy.  I think the whole packer brisket at my local Wal-Mart are only $2.70-2.80?

·

BTW, I think I saw on another thread that you make charcoal. Do you have a SoCal distributor?

Sorry, no one in SoCal right now.......you want to be a dealer?  Talk with friends, coworkers, or local BBQ supply shop and see if you can get enough people together to share a few pallets.  That's how I got started.  With only one pallet, I'm afraid the shipping will cost more than the charcoal.  But if you get a several pallets, you'll be able to spread that cost out.  Send me an email through the website if you want to discuss it further.  http://www.stlcharcoal.com

·