Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

John Henry rub

I recently acquired some John Henry Mojave Garlic Pepper rub. Has anyone used it? What did you put it on? Thanks

Comments

• U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,042
    I use it every sunday on boneless skinless chicken breasts.  I butterfly them and hit them with a light coating and grill to 155 raised direct.  we use them for sandwiches and salads for lunch throughout the week.  its good, nothing special but better than just garlic and pepper, a little more flavors too it.  my wife makes me take it easy on hers so that its not too peppery.
  • Black_Badger
    Black_Badger Posts: 1,182
    Love that rub. I've used it on spatchcocked chickens, on burgers and on veggies. It's great on potatoes cooked in a CI pan under a spatchcock. Also excellent on tri-tip. Honestly, I haven't put it on anything it wasn't good on...

Color me a fan.

Cheers -
    B_B
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    The next time I need to stock up on rub, I'm going to try some of the John Heny rubs. Never tasted them, but seems like there are some good ones. Anyone know if a sampler is available?

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Black_Badger
    Black_Badger Posts: 1,182
    There is a sampler available. I would also strongly recommend the Sugar Maple rub for pork shoulder or ribs. I like to add a little heat to it, but it's great for flavor and bark.

B_B
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,829
    So far I've only used it on beef. I used it on the best prime rib anyone in my crowd has ever eaten.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    I have probably 10 of their rubs. Love them all.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • Randy1
    Randy1 Posts: 379
    I have been meaning to get some of the garlic pepper, but I can't find it in stores around central Arkansas. I have seen it on amazon but just haven't ordered it.I need to though!
    Maumelle, Arkansas
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    I use John Henry's Texas Chicken Tickler rub we love it, have yet to try the Mojave Garlic Pepper but look forward to it.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    I've for John Henry's Alabama butt rub and it's amazing.

XLBGE 
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    caliking said:
    The next time I need to stock up on rub, I'm going to try some of the John Heny rubs. Never tasted them, but seems like there are some good ones. Anyone know if a sampler is available?
    I had a sampler of 5 or 6 rubs at one time. Really liked the Texas Chicken Tickler, need to get some more. Ended up tossing the other ones. Way too much sugar and why would I need a smoke flavored rub? That's what wood is for. I guess I'm in the minority when it comes to their rubs...

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Griffin said:
    caliking said:
    I had a sampler of 5 or 6 rubs at one time. Really liked the Texas Chicken Tickler, need to get some more. Ended up tossing the other ones. Way too much sugar and why would I need a smoke flavored rub? That's what wood is for. I guess I'm in the minority when it comes to their rubs...
    I haven't tried the John Henry rub, but I avoid any rub that has "natural smoke flavor" added.  These might be just fine, but any time I have tried a rub that listed this an ingredient it just has an off "liquid smoke" flavor I can't get past. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Raymont
    Raymont Posts: 710
    Absolutely love J. Henry's Mojave Garlic on wings.

Small & Large BGE

Nashville, TN

• TMay
    TMay Posts: 87
    His Jalepeno Rub Is Great On Ribs
    Rowlett, Texas