Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BBQ smell

EggHeadinFlorida
EggHeadinFlorida Posts: 892
edited May 2013 in EggHead Forum
How are you guys getting the BBQ smoke smell off of you? Yes, I shower and scrub with soap and shampoo but I can still smell the smoke on me. Grant it, its not as strong after a shower but the smell is there. It's quite annoying walking around smelling like a Boston butt lol.
XL bge, Mini max & 36 BS Griddle.

Comments

• bigphil
    bigphil Posts: 1,390
    edited May 2013
    can't wait to hear the comments and suggestions  =))
    clean clothes as well maybe ? or its just still in your sinues

Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
  • EggHeadinFlorida
    EggHeadinFlorida Posts: 892
    edited May 2013
    It's an honest question. Hopefully we are all adults here and keep the stupid stuff to their self. Yes I put on clean clothes. It's not my sinuses, because others tell me they can still smell the smoke.
    XL bge, Mini max & 36 BS Griddle.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Stick a q-tip in your nose and black stuff will come out - creosote. Try nasal lavage afterwards. You can just get one of the sinus rinse bottles.
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Fred19Flintstone Posts: 8,168
    In deference to the OP, who is all business and requests likewise from others, I will remain factual and not engage in sophomoric humor.  Yes, I smell like a butt quite a lot, but only because I'm an a$$hole. 
    Flint, Michigan
  • B&BKnox
    B&BKnox Posts: 283
    Shave, it's the hair that holds the scent.  As you can see from my pic I don't have any and I smell as fresh as a cold tasty brew.
    Be Well

Knoxville TN
  • yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    I'm with B&B. It hangs out in hair. I shave after or scrub the facial hair. Sometimes I like smelling like the egg. Makes me feel like I just went camping.
    Dunedin, FL
  • SmokinDAWG82
    SmokinDAWG82 Posts: 1,705
    Still waiting for some adult answers...
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • EddieK76
    EddieK76 Posts: 416
    My wife loves the smell of BBQ....I never shower it off.
    Large BGE

• A basic question.  Why would you WANT to get the BBQ smell off of you?  Dogs and chicks will follow you around all day.
    Just to make VI's comment clear; he is referring to dogs and baby chickens. Attractive young ladies will have noting to do with you if you smell like pig butt.
    Killen, AL (The Shoals)
    XL, Small, Minimax, and Mini BGEs
  • egger ave
    egger ave Posts: 721
    Best thread in months. I checked with SWMBO, she likes the BBQ odor for a while at least. A shower and shampoo do it for me. Don't forget to change your clothes too. 
    1 Large BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Minimax BGE, Original wife and 3 dogs living in the heart of BBQ country in Round Rock Texas. 

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."

Albert Einstein
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,432
    Why would chickens follow you around if you smell like a grill?   :-?

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Google "neti pot". Switching to propane is an option (not kidding). Then there is muriatic acid. At least it would take your mind off the smell (kidding).

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • chrisnjenn
    chrisnjenn Posts: 534
    caliking said:
    Google "neti pot". Switching to propane is an option (not kidding). Then there is muriatic acid. At least it would take your mind off the smell (kidding).

Please do not kid. Only adult/serious answers wanted. Thanks. (jk of course)
  • fletcherfam
    fletcherfam Posts: 935
    BBQ smell is my wife's favorite cologne!
  • SmokinDAWG82
    SmokinDAWG82 Posts: 1,705
    I seem to remember something about tomato juice to get smells off.
    I think you have to use Bloody Mary's to get BBQ off
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    I seem to remember something about tomato juice to get smells off.
    I think you have to use Bloody Mary's to get BBQ off
    That's for skunks.  Also toothpaste.  But, speaking from experience, if you get a direct hit from a skunk, you end up smelling like skunk, tomato juice, and toothpaste.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Grandson always gave me the best compliment when he declared I smelled good, just like the chicken. 

Stike had an interesting post which I can't seem to find. 
    After the egg is lit and going, put in your set-up, adjust the vents based on past experience, and if for a low and slow do this as much as 1 hour before the food goes on. Stay away from the grill and you won't pick up the smell as much. It is the VOCs that really add to the stink. 
    Also +1 on the sinus rinse. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Black_Badger
    Black_Badger Posts: 1,182
    edited May 2013
    This IS funny, but it's also something I've noticed as well. I think the answer is that if you cook on the egg you're just going to smell a little smoky, it's part and parcel of the whole experience.

One small recommendation that I've adopted is to designate an Egging hat and wear it whenever you use the Egg. Most of the smoky smell comes from your hair, so the hat helps defer some of that.

Don't sweat people on here giving you a hard time about this thread, it is pretty hilarious and they're all just having fun.

Cheers -
    B_B
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
  • CajunEggHead
    CajunEggHead Posts: 189
    Why would anyone in there right mind want to get that delicious aroma off??? It took nearly all to get it on....
    [-X

1 Large Big Green Egg
     1 Weber Kettle
     1 Weber Weber Smokey Mountain 18"
     1 Long Horn Off Set
     1 Bradley Smoker
     1 Weber Silver Gasser
     1 Weber Smokey Joe Small
     1 Orange Thermapen
  • bbqlearner
    bbqlearner Posts: 760
    I think it's part of the experience. Somehow, a little bit of smell still sticks around as well for me even after shower and shampoo. I think everything need to be cleansed of those "stinky BBQ" smells - throw away all your clothes, glasses (if you wear one), wedding rings (if you wear one) or any other accessories you wear at the time   :D

Houston, TX - Buddy LBGE, Don SBGE, Tiny Mini & Shiny Momma Pitts n Spitts

• BigWader
    BigWader Posts: 673

What are you guys doing - sitting on the DFMT?  I don't think I ever smell of smoke - but maybe I do.  My SWMBO would tell me if I did.

When I light the egg, I leave the vents and daisy off for a few minutes while it starts to heat up... I go do something else and keep an eye on it.  When I'm 50-75 degrees from my target I move the vents to where I think it's good then carry on. 

When I'm ready to put food/wood chunks on - I have a get in/get out quick attitude since I don't wnat the fire to get away from me.  On direct grilling burgers etc. with the lid open more maybe there's more smoke.

Toronto, Canada

Large BGE, Small BGE

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Answer is get a sealed storage container for your lump and some slip on protective gear for your next Q party. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727

I think it's part of the experience. Somehow, a little bit of smell still sticks around as well for me even after shower and shampoo. I think everything need to be cleansed of those "stinky BBQ" smells - throw away all your clothes, glasses (if you wear one), wedding rings (if you wear one) or any other accessories you wear at the time   :D

Easier (and more fun) to bbq nekkid...

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Watch for flashbacks :((

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    caliking said:
    Easier (and more fun) to bbq nekkid...
    With the sprinkler on as well. It makes me feel like a kid again.
  • FearlessTheEggNoob
    FearlessTheEggNoob Posts: 888
    edited May 2013
    Maybe stay upwind by having a fan at your back?

Or one behind the egg pulling the smoke away?
    Gittin' there...