Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Wok Cook

Options
Hello All, 
Did my first wok cook on the Egg tonight, turned out pretty good. Total prep and cooking time was about 20 minutes and that included lighting the Egg. Incredibly quick! 

Learned a few lessons: don't over load the wok, don't be afraid to use plenty of sauce (soy, sriracha, fish, etc), keep the food moving. Also realized I have a few more to learn, but it was a very solid start. 

One thing I'm hoping someone can help with: looks like the high temp caused the seasoning to burn off the bottom (pic below). Given that I'm working mostly with the lid up and at high temp how do I keep this from happening every time? I'm planning to re-season and get right back to it, but curious about how to be better. 

The MRS loved it, and I know it will only get better from here. Very excited about this new chapter of life with the Egg. 

Cheers all -
B_B
Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI

Comments

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    edited May 2013
    Options
    Don't bother with re-seasoning.  The purpose of the initial seasoning is to get the metallic taste out of the steel.  Just keep using it and you'll get the black patina shortly.  The absence of the blackening may be from your spatula.  Look closely at your picture, and you'll see some straight lines.  Consider using plastic or wooden spatulas to prevent that.

Congratulations on you first cook !  I recommend getting some good books.  Grace Young's Breath Of A Wok and Stir Frying To The Sky's Edge are excellent books, not only for history and technique, but for some great recipes too.  After you digest those, there are more books .... and more books ....  However, many of my favorite recipes have come from googling on the internet.  There's some good stuff out there.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    Yep, as the master wokker, @VI , said.... Jut keep using it. It will season itself. Mine needs some serious work. I have a patch of rust on mine. I have tried stripping it and reseasoning but my last few cooks have stuck to the wok like there is no seasoning. Not sure what the problem is there.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    Options
    Welcome to the wonderful world of wok cooking! No more takeout needed! 

Like VI said the more you use the wok the better the "non stick" it will get. 

I just started with a brand new wok for my small egg and it looked like yours after the first cook but I just stuck with it and it is starting to blacken up now. (My goto wok for my large is 30+ years old and black as can be, they only get better the more you use them) 

You can always add some oil after you clean out the wok after cooking. Just remember no soap! I like to use my gasser to season woks and didn't scrape anything off but added some oil and threw it on the gasser for a hour or so after my first couple cooks. 

The wooden chuan from the Wok Shop is only $2.95 and that will help from scratching the wok if your concerned about it. 

Grace Young's books are very good (probably why she one a James Beard award for one of them) The Trinidadian shrimp stir-fry with rum is the best meal I have ever had off a wok me cooking or at a restaurant (its in Stir frying to the Sky's Edge)

Even clean out the fridge stir-frys are awesome. Keep cooking and it will be well seasoned shortly! 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • Black_Badger
    Black_Badger Posts: 1,182
    Options
    Thanks guys, it has been exciting. Good to know that I don't necessarily need to re-season, there's was certainly no metalic taste, it tasted good.

Thanks for the book recommendations VI, they're on the way, just couldn't wait.

I'm sure some of the seasoning loss, especially on the sides, is from the chaun. I bought the chuan and ladle from wokshop along with the wok and they work great, but I guess I should have gotten them in wood rather than metal. Damn.

Do you guys do all of your woking with the lid up, or do you close it between stirs? Seems like a lot of up opening and closing but I did get a LOT of flame creeping up around the sides of the wok.

Cheers -
    B_B

Middleton, WI
  • Village Idiot
    Options

Do you guys do all of your woking with the lid up, or do you close it between stirs? Seems like a lot of up opening and closing but I did get a LOT of flame creeping up around the sides of the wok.

Cheers -
    B_B
    BB,

You don't have time to close the lid.  You should keep the food moving all of the time (except when snapping a picture )
    :))  There are exceptions like when you want to sear the meat.

If your fire is hot enough, you will get flames creeping up around the sides.  That's why I like a larger wok.  I use a 16" wok on my Large.  A long chuan like you got from the Wok shop is helpful, but some folks use gloves.  I only use them when putting the  D handle wok on and off the Egg.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• Black_Badger
    Options
    Thanks again VI, that's sort of what I thought. I think I overloaded the wok last night, so there were some times when I was letting the food sit to get a little more sear (on the meat in particular). That wasn't really what I expected for the norm.

I appreciate the feedback, good to know it's all going to plan...

B_B

Middleton, WI
  • EddieK76
    EddieK76 Posts: 416
    Options
    Looks great!  You'll be using that all the time now!
    Large BGE

• Bjorg
    Bjorg Posts: 241
    Options
    I charred my wooden spoon when wokking, I wouldn't dare use plastic! I use a long handle metal one now. 

How do you guys clean the wok? Hot water and a sponge? I use a chain mail type scrubber made for cast iron pans, but its a bit rough on the finish. http://www.cmscrubber.com/order.html

Quebec - Canada
  • Village Idiot
    edited May 2013
    Options
    Bjorg said:

How do you guys clean the wok? Hot water and a sponge?

Yep, one of those yellow and green sponges. then, a light coat of oil on the inside and outside.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    edited May 2013
    Options

Looks like you have found a new and eggciting way to cook.  Here is a link to some thoughts that have been put together from fellow wokkers on BGEs.

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1146630/wok-question-attention-village-idiot#latest

• Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,052
    Options
    Looks excellent!  The wok is one of my favorite eggcessories. 
  • Black_Badger
    edited May 2013
    Options
    Thanks @Richard Fl that one is definitely getting bookmarked!

Middleton, WI