Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Freezing a steak for 30 min before cooking it?

Saw an article that got me intrigued. They freeze steaks for 30 min before cooking them. 

I always rest my steak on counter top with kosher salt for 30 min before cooking them. 

Also cornstarch?? Ive heard it being used for chicken, but not beef. Any body tried this technique?
Quebec - Canada

Comments

• JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    That one is new to me.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    edited April 2013

I have heard of restaurants doing this, but i have never tried it.  I marinate mine with KIKOMAN Teriayki Marinade about an hour before cooking and set them on the counter, kosher salt and fresh course ground black pepper.

PS: Corn Starch didn't work on the chicken, so it ain't going on my steak!!

;)
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    I have heard of the cornstarch thing. It is added to a ton of stuff to absorb moisture. That's all it's doing here. I salt my steaks and stick them in the fridge for 24 hours. It does the same thing. The moisture gets "sucked" back into the steak. If I am doing it the same night, I salt and cook right away or wait at least an hour. This either keeps the salt from drawing moisture to the surface or allowing it to be reabsorbed.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Serves the same purpose on beef as it does on chicken. It helps form a crust. Beef is often dredged in flour to crust meat that is to be browned for a braise or stew.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Modernist Cuisine also suggests this with a low temp oven steak. The process used is a 30 minute freeze followed by a brush with butter/oil, then a sear in a hot dry skillet, then into low temp oven to finish. They claim the outside browns without overcooking the inside. 
    I think the idea is to brown the outside, get a good crust while "protecting" the interior from cooking. 
    My preference is reverse sear, but that's just me. 
    Never tried cornstarch on steak, but have used the heavy salt, then rinse, then cook routine. Starch or baking powder is great on chicken skin, it always produces a crisp skin. 

Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797

Not sure about this. I suppose you could benefit from slightly freezing a steak cut on the thin side. This would give you a little more wiggle room so you don't over cook the thing. If you want the crust, I suggest pan searing it in stead of grilling over coals.

• GK59
    GK59 Posts: 501
    Many years (20 plus) ago a friend of mine had a friend in MN who did fillets from rock solid frozen. Of course the steaks were very RARE. It was to their liking. Throw in a load of booze and well take it from there.

Smitty's Kid's BBQ

Bay City,MI

• Little Steven

I have heard of restaurants doing this, but i have never tried it.  I marinate mine with KIKOMAN Teriayki Marinade about an hour before cooking and set them on the counter, kosher salt and fresh course ground black pepper.

PS: Corn Starch didn't wor

It's a very light dusting that works. I use two or three sieves ang just lightly shake them any heavy areas I brush with a pastry brush.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929

PS: Corn Starch didn't wor

It's a very light dusting that works. I use two or three sieves ang just lightly shake them any heavy areas I brush with a pastry brush.

Cornstarch always works for me too. I pour my rub in a bowl and pour the CS as well. Mix up well then throw run on chicken. Crispy every time.

Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Charlie tuna
    I was hell bent on getting crispy skin on my chicken, i tried all these aplications and finally found cooking high in the dome -- which worked for me!  Maybe i was applying too much, but all i got out it was mushy skin.  But being a forum member, now i am trying to take the skin off!!!  Oh, how i love this forum!! :((
  • Little Steven
    Oh I cook high in the dome too. Try some wings with your rub mixed with cornstarch and shake in a bag. Try some without and cook together. You will be a convert

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    I do Burgers like that...
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Charlie tuna
    OK -- next batch of wings i will do a comparison!!  Wings are almost as expensive as steak !!!
  • Little Steven
    henapple said:
    I do Burgers like that...
    Bastid!

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Black_Badger
    Black_Badger Posts: 1,182
    @Charlie_tuna where do you buy your wings and/or steak! One of those might be a very good deal!

B_B
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
  • bbqlearner
    bbqlearner Posts: 760
    @Charlie_tuna I used cornstarch on the wings I just did last Sunday and those are not even cooked high in the dome (it's at felt level). You can see the picture of the wings on the egg in my sunday cook thread. It turned crispy just like fried wings. Love it :D

Houston, TX - Buddy LBGE, Don SBGE, Tiny Mini & Shiny Momma Pitts n Spitts

• bbqlearner
    bbqlearner Posts: 760
    Sorry got distracted. Meant to respond to OP: I never tried freezing the steak before cooking but if anyone ever tried, please share with us how it turned out vs. normal method. 

Houston, TX - Buddy LBGE, Don SBGE, Tiny Mini & Shiny Momma Pitts n Spitts

• yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    I do baking soda instead with excellent results. America's Test Kitchen did an episode on how to get the crispiest skin and baking soda came out on top. I've only tried on chicken though.
    Dunedin, FL
  • jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    I did the whole process a couple of times but didn't notice a big difference so I stopped. 
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • Bjorg
    Bjorg Posts: 241
    Thanks for the input guys, especially jlsm who has tried it. 
    Quebec - Canada
  • rcone
    rcone Posts: 219
    Freezing a skirt steak before you cook it provides an amazing outcome. The outside gets real color, while the inside stays medium rare. 
    "Feed me, or feed me to something; I just want to be part of the food chain" Al Bundy

LBGE, SBGE, Carson Rotisserie, Blackstone Griddle  

Milwaukee, Wisconsin