Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tomarrow is the day!!!!!!!!!!

well my fellow egg heads...tomarrow id the day i get my egg delivered to me i have been waiting like patients on a monument....for my home upgrades to be finished...and the day is here...my patio is finished and my egg will be here tomarrow so i was wondering ...im going to start light wit some beef burgers and turkeyburgers and was wanting to know what the ideal temp is to cook burgers......
"Ask not what your Egg can do for you, but what you can do for your egg" 1LBG 1XLBG , Grilling, JimBeam, and Life....What else is there??!!!!!

Comments

• wow did i word this wrong or is the question so simple that no one wants to answer it...hahaha im a new Xl owner so please forgive my novice !!!!!

"Ask not what your Egg can do for you, but what you can do for your egg" 1LBG 1XLBG , Grilling, JimBeam, and Life....What else is there??!!!!!
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    I like burgers in the 375-400 range wherever the egg settles in at.
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • Sorry @BigGreenHead - Welcome!  I'm glad you're here!  I agree with @Solson005 about the temp.  Have fun with it!  I just got my XL and I'm putting Humpty Dumpty together today.  I haven't decided my first cook yet.  Leaning towards ribs or a butt.
    Flint, Michigan
  • chrisnjenn
    chrisnjenn Posts: 534
    Welcome to the BGE club. I cook mine direct, 350-400. Make sure the smoke is blue or clear before throwing the burgers on. Hopefully more will welcome you to this site.
  • Welcome aboard! If you have a chance, let's see some pics of your setup.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Turkey has to be cooked for us to eat --  so can't cook fast or low to the fire, so i do mine direct raised grid at 400 degrees.  Good luck with the egg and post a few pictures.
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,795

Just so @BigGreenHead doesn't think we all agree on stuff I'l throw my opinion in.  I was taught that the more rare you want your beef, in general, the hotter you should cook it.  So, because SWMBO likes her burger medium rare with a good sear on the outside I usually cook burgers hotter than what has been suggested above - in the 450 - 550 range. 

In my house, the "right" way to cook anything is the way that most pleases SWMBO.  In this case it aligns with how my grandfather taught me to cook beef - so it must be right.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Welcome aboard! I don't cook burgers that often so I don't have much input there but I will say you are going to enjoy the Egg. And first rule on the forum is if there aren't pictures, it didn't happen.
    LBGE 2013, SBGE 2014, Mini 2015
    Columbus IN
  • Welcome!!! now that the temp for the burgers is answered, try seasoning them with Cow lick Dizzy Pig Rub...love at first bite.

XL BGE with adj rig & woo2

• Congratulations and welcome.  I'm in the 400+ category.  We get our beef right from the slaughter house so all we'll add is a little salt and pepper.  Please send us pics of your new patio and egg set up.  Would love to see it.  Get ready to go our and buy bigger clothes.

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014

• Wreckt01
    Wreckt01 Posts: 28
    I go for 400-450.  I sear both sides on cast iron then drop on the grill and let them finish to a med/med rare.

I usually grill some onions and drop them on top after the searing is done.....always good stuff.  
  • henapple said:
    would... Fire it up and practice temp control Do a chicken or quarters... It'll take longer. Burgers and you'll be done quick. Trust me, you'll want to stare at the egg cooking like a puberty ridden kid entranced by a playboy magazine. Welcome
    ... for the articles, of course?
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    bbqlearner Posts: 760
    Congrats! Like everyone said, you could play around with the temp and find one you'd enjoy cooking at. I cook mine direct between 350 - 400 depending on where the egg settles.

Houston, TX - Buddy LBGE, Don SBGE, Tiny Mini & Shiny Momma Pitts n Spitts

• bccomstock
    bccomstock Posts: 338
    Welcome!

I really like the reverse sear method for my burgers.. Get the Egg around 250 - 300 and let the burgers cook indirectly (setup is a cast iron grate on bottom, platesetter next and then stock grate on top).. They cook slower than normal in this phase.  When the burgers are within about 10 - 15 degrees of being done, take them burgers off to rest for about 20 minutes.  Remove the stock grate and platesetter and jack the temp up to 600+ degrees.  Throw them on the cast iron grate for 1 minute on each side.  Best burgers I've ever done.

As you can see, there's more than one way to fix a great burger..

Best words of wisdom, or even word of wisdom, I can give is "patience"..
    LBGE
    MS Gulf Coast - Proud member of the Who Dat Nation!
    My Not Frequently Updated Basically Dead Blog: http://datcue.wordpress.com
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,629
    My "first time" I fired my virgin egg up, I didn't cook anything. I just sat by and drank beer and played with the vents practicing temp control and stared at the thing in the same way @Henapple speaks of. The next night I did burgers and damn they were good.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited April 2013
    Welcome, missed this earlier. I use a reverse sear on burgers. 
    If you have a setter/indirect set-up and want to play with your egg, let the temp stabilize at 250, get the VOCs gone, put your burgers on the grid and let them get to at least 120F internal. They will take on smoke flavour, very nice. 
    Pull and foil the burgers, pull the setter and drop the grid onto the fire ring. Open the vents and when you get a nice 450 temp, brown them. 

Or - if you just want to cook, treat it like a gasser, grid anywhere and the temp at 400. Keep the dome closed as much as possible. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Welcome...

Enjoy and have fun. Take pictures...
  • MJG
    MJG Posts: 598
    I did my first cook on Sunday...steaks. I lit it up, and played with it for a while for lack of a better term, to get a feel for temperature adjustment. The thing that shocked me was how quickly the temp can go up...and how long it takes to come back down. It also burned a lot less lump that I figured it would. Good luck. Grab a few of your beverage of choice and get after it!
    Large Big Green Egg in a nest. North Shore of Boston.
  • FlyingTivo
    FlyingTivo Posts: 352
    650-700ºF, quick sear to med rare! The tricky part is warming the buns at that temp.

=))
    Men, easier fed than understood!!
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    For the love of everything good if you cook at a high temp... Burp the egg. You'll look better with eyebrows.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Don't everybody jump on me here but I really don't think the egg shines on burgers. I would do a spatch chicken as the first go. Maybe a beef or pork roast

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Don't everybody jump on me here but I really don't think the egg shines on burgers. I would do a spatch chicken as the first go. Maybe a beef or pork roast

:-@ ok just kidding, @littlesteven is right, this is a good call, but I think he wanted hamburgers. Again just saying. Where is my badge? :D
  • Little Steven
    edited April 2013
    Sorry Sherrif on both counts. I thought this was the guy that wanted to know what he should start with. They are just finishing the mold for your badge. Should be in the stamping plant next week

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    I'm with HAP, welcome aboard, plenty here to digest and lots of ways to cook the same meal, find something that sounds reasonable and go with it!!  Good luck, send pictures - good or bad !!
  • Little Steven
    In truth, turkey burgers come out really well

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Jebpot
    Jebpot Posts: 374
    I got my xl a couple weeks ago and like shtgunal3 I just with control for couple of days. luv my egg..

XL and Small

Chattanooga, TN

• sticks88
    sticks88 Posts: 94
    Get mine tomorrow also but need to finish table in the next few days . Waiting and reading blogs is painfull.

XL BGE and Pellet smoker

• bclarksicle
    bclarksicle Posts: 167

650-700ºF, quick sear to med rare! The tricky part is warming the buns at that temp.

=))
    +1