Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Old School Brisket (w/Aaron Franklin's BBQ Sauce)

Options

Comments

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    edited April 2013
    Options
    That's a sweet looking brisket for sure. I haven't been able to find packers that small anywhere. I wish I could, so I could practice smoking a brisket without ending up with enough to feed an army!

Try burnt ends sometime - I've heard they're not Texas bbq, but they're still damn tasty!

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Love 'em or hate 'em, grass fed cows are (relatively) the same size as grass fed people :).
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options

Love 'em or hate 'em, grass fed cows are (relatively) the same size as grass fed people :).

• tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    Next time add some minced smoked garlic and grind the pepper fresh, you'll really dig it then. Where did you find that small a packer. T
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • Springram
    Springram Posts: 430
    Options
    ccsmoke said:
    Very nice. I've been wanting to try Franklin's method. Where did you get the 16 mesh pepper?
    I get mine from the Spice Store. I tried to get it from the same supplier that Franklin gets his but they only sell in large bulk sizes. I could not find it anywhere in Houston. So..I buy one lb bags from the Spice Store located in Wisconsin somewhere. Very good service but ain't cheap to ship so I order more spices than just the pepper.   Why 16 mesh? If you use regular grind, it will be too much pepper flavor. You want a courser grind but not the super course. Anyway, that is what Aaron Franklin uses.

I am going to ask Mr Henry at John Henry's spices and BBQ store here in Houston to see if he can get the 16 mesh. BTW, the Spice Store is the store William Penzy opened decades ago. His daughter runs it now.

Springram
    Spring, Texas
    LBGE and Mini
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Dayum Griff...that looks great!  

I have been making that same BBQ sauce and we love it.  I haven't tried it on brisket, but it is great on wings/ribs.  Did you get it from the vid series?  

I was thinking if I try it on Brisket I might sub Worcestershire sauce for some of the cider vin.   

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Options
    That looks great Griffin! =D>
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • piney
    piney Posts: 1,478
    Options
    Looks great Griffin, what IT did you go to? I might want to try this.
    Lenoir, N.C.
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options

:\"> Thanks for all the kind words, Guys.

@Dyal_SC - you think you will get to Franklin's again when you come to Texas?

@PlanoPoke79 - brisket is hard to beat when done right and when done right, doesn't need sauce as you well know.

@ccsmoke - I didn't get 16 mesh pepper. I just ground peppercorns in a coffee grinder until I got the coarseness I wanted.

@The_Cen-Tex_Smoker - thanks, that means a lot coming from you.

@Eggcelsior - Soylent green...that is too funny.

@tjv- I got the brisket from the Dallas Farmer's Market form the North Star Ranch booth.

@SmokeyPitt - yup, I got the sauce from one of his youtube videos.

@piney - every brisket is going to be different. I usually start probing when it hits 190 and have had them go as far as 205. When the probe (I used a toothpick this time) slides in like butter with no resistance, its done. This particular one I pulled at 196.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• GQuiz
    GQuiz Posts: 701
    Options
    Holy cow that looks incredible. Cooking two briskest Thursday night. Going to have to follow your lead.

XL BGE; Schertz TX by way of Stow OH. #egghead4life
  • PlanoPokes79
    PlanoPokes79 Posts: 207
    Options
    Hard to follow a great cook like Griffin!! He does some amazing cooks!!
  • CajunEggHead
    CajunEggHead Posts: 189
    Options
    One fine looking brisket did you trim some fat off the cap? I got one here that will not eat fat under no circumstances, as where I think a little is fine
    :((

1 Large Big Green Egg
     1 Weber Kettle
     1 Weber Weber Smokey Mountain 18"
     1 Long Horn Off Set
     1 Bradley Smoker
     1 Weber Silver Gasser
     1 Weber Smokey Joe Small
     1 Orange Thermapen
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    Griff has an advantage he is from Texas!

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Griffin
    Options
    One fine looking brisket did you trim some fat off the cap? I got one here that will not eat fat under no circumstances, as where I think a little is fine
    :((

You have to leave some of the fat on or it will dry out. I tried to trim it down to about 1/4" all around. You can always cut the fat off the slices for the one who won't eat it.

Rowlett, Texas

• sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
    Options
    @Griffin - This thread inspired me to do a 1st brisket this weekend :)

Hoping for an edible meteorite.
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    Options
    I've been a bit more wary of grass fed beef after driving past these oil tanks.
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • bbqlearner
    bbqlearner Posts: 760
    Options
    tazcrash said:
    I've been a bit more wary of grass fed beef after driving past these oil tanks.

=))

Houston, TX - Buddy LBGE, Don SBGE, Tiny Mini & Shiny Momma Pitts n Spitts

• Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,052
    Options
    @Griffin, I hope so...we are staying in Lagrange for the first coupla days, then we are gonna stay in Austin for the last bit of the trip.  My wife wants to do Franklin one day, and I want to stop at Blacks for dinner another night. 
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Notice how he has all these great cooks but only stopped in Salado for a minute. Didn't even say hi to me. Stuck up?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Griffin
    Options
    I was waiting to say hi to you, but you were busy. I think you were setting up lights with Mickey. I tried to say hi to everybody I could. Would have stayed longer had I not had a tire blowout in San Marcus that resulted in me sitting around in Austin for over 2 hours waiting to get a new tire.

Rowlett, Texas

• milesbrown4
    milesbrown4 Posts: 314
    Options
    Great Brisket - who needs a smoke ring?  Creamed spinach too!
  • MontanaBBQ
    MontanaBBQ Posts: 8
    Options
    I can't wait to try to emulate this cook. I haven't had a well prepared brisket since Cooper's all too long ago. As for the sausage, I've been meaning to order some from Opa's, but never seem to get around to it. It just went up a notch on the priority list. 

As for grass fed beef, I personally think that it all comes down to preference. I've been eating steaks for a long time and in a lot of places, but I personally prefer a really "beefy" flavored steaks. Big fan of dry aged and grass fed. I've had Wagyu and other insanely marbled steaks, but if all you are getting is a really buttery steak with no beef flavor, why bother? 
  • burr_baby33
    burr_baby33 Posts: 503
    Options
    The Jack Daniels looked good too.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Griffin said:

I was waiting to say hi to you, but you were busy. I think you were setting up lights with Mickey. I tried to say hi to everybody I could. Would have stayed longer had I not had a tire blowout in San Marcus that resulted in me sitting around in Austin for over 2 hours waiting to get a new tire.

Just giving you a hard time. Mickey told me the only way I could cook at Salado was to do what he told me to. Damn, even washed his truck.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • CigarSmokinEgger
    Options

I made this sauce yesterday (along with some deli style roast beef) and love the sweet & tangy taste; substituted chipotle chili powder because I didn't feel like going to the store.  There seems to be a TON of butter though, don't see why I couldn't cut this in half and just use one stick, otherwise a pretty good sauce!

• kestimator
    Options
    I'm trying your recipe Griffin with garlic powder added in the rub.  She's cooking right now.  Do you turn your brisket over during the cooking process?  This is my first Green Egg brisket :)
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I'm trying your recipe Griffin with garlic powder added in the rub.  She's cooking right now.  Do you turn your brisket over during the cooking process?  This is my first Green Egg brisket :)

I'll answer for grif. No. Just let it ride.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • kestimator
    Options
    Thanks The Cen-Tex Smoker!!!  I'll let her ride :)  LOL!!
  • kestimator
    Options
    Well Griffin....thanks a bunch!!  Best tasting brisket that I've ever cooked.  I didn't take a photo....but mine came out looking like the one you posted.  I didn't get the "ring" either....though I had plenty of smoke.  However, nobody cared...as the brisket was delicious and a total hit with the family and our guests.  Thanks again!!
  • Griffin
    Options
    Glad it worked out well for you. Thanks for stepping in @The_Cen-Tex_Smoker

Rowlett, Texas