Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

2 level set up for Small BGE

Hi,

For owners of small BGE, do you have a 2 level set up for your small? I'm needing extra cooking space and was thinking of adding more space but didn't know if anyone has done it as well. Could you share how do you do it and what is the diameter you use for the upper grate?

Thank you. 

Houston, TX - Buddy LBGE, Don SBGE, Tiny Mini & Shiny Momma Pitts n Spitts

Comments

• MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    Some have made a home made second level. Very easy. Someone will chime in with grate size soon. But on a side note, ceramic grill works is about to have a small swing rack in production.

XLBGE 
  • bbqlearner
    bbqlearner Posts: 760
    Thanks MrCookingNurse. The ones you've seen - is it using firebricks to raise the 2nd grid? I was thinking of trying it with firebricks and maybe 10 inch for diameter.

• Forgive me, I saw this ealier, but I've pre-occupied today. I have a 9" grid on 2"SS bolts, nuts & washers. I also have a mini so the grid is a bit small for the small, but I can use it in either.
    Flint, Michigan
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    I haven't tried a homemade version, but will get one of the first swing racks when they come out. I will be keeping tabs on this if anyone has a good homemade solution.
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,665
    the second grid to get is a weber kettle lump grate, the one that goes under the briquettes. homedepot and lowes has them for cheap
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Jackh
    Jackh Posts: 109
    I bought 2" pipe nipples from Home Depot (3" 4" 5" high ) whatever size you want placed stainless grate over cast iron grate--- tried 3 but found 4 more stable
    Lg&Sm ---Middleport NY
  • bbqlearner
    Thanks everyone for sharing. Fishlessman, do you know the size of the charcoal grate that you get? I was looking yesterday but didn't see any size that might work. I was thinking the high-q grye for large is 9 inch and might work in this situation.

• Cowdogs
    Cowdogs Posts: 491
    I have a woo ring for my small and the cast iron grate.  I will often cook steak, or pork loin on the cast iron down low and some veggies on the stock grid on top of the woo ring.
  • bbqlearner
    Thanks cowdogs. Good input as I have both woo and cast iron grate. Only thing is the 2 grids at the bottom of the woo reduces the space at CI grate - you encounter same issue?

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,665
    i think it measures about 13.5 and just fits but i would have to measure it again, its been a long time since buying it. its cheap, under 10 bucks and its just plain steel so it needs to be seasoned. pretty sure its the lump grate for the 18.5 weber
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • MrCookingNurse

Thanks everyone for sharing. Fishlessman, do you know the size of the charcoal grate that you get? I was looking yesterday but didn't see any size that might work. I was thinking the high-q grye for large is 9 inch and might work in this situation.

The high que is prolly 3x's the cost of a weber grate.

XLBGE 
  • bbqlearner

@MrCookingNurse Yep. That's true. Thanks for reminding.

I searched at my local Lowe's and Home Depot and the sizes I found for lump grate for 18.5 weber kettle is 15 inch. I'm worried it won't fit the small since diameter for small is around 13-14 inch.

I did find this (10 inch Weber charcoal grate) at Amazon for $7.50 so I'm going to pull the trigger and test whether it fits into the SBGE. Once I receive in 2 days, I will update everyone.

http://www.amazon.com/Weber-7439-Replacement-Charcoal-Grate/dp/B000WU7PWO/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1367335558&sr=8-2&keywords=weber+charcoal+grate

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    @bbqlearner: there's a chance that you may have looked at the wrong lump grate at Lowe's. The lump grate for the 18. 5 " should fit the small egg.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • bbqlearner
    @caliking Thanks. I will check again. Maybe I looked at the wrong one.

• MrCookingNurse
    The one you order looks good. What id be interested in is two tier indirect with plate setter. So it'd need to be a little smaller than 13 I'd assume to fit in the dome. Please update

XLBGE 
  • SSN686
    SSN686 Posts: 3,500
    edited April 2013

Morning bbqlearner:

here are a couple of pictures of the two level set up I use for my small...I'm using Chubby's "GrateMate" system that unfortunately I don't think is available any longer...

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v201/jct1013/GAMtn2012/101_0740.jpg[/IMG]

and...

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v201/jct1013/GAMtn2012/101_0733.jpg[/IMG]

Not sure if this helps, but it may give you some ideas.  edited?

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL

• MrCookingNurse
    @SSN686
    Your pics don't work
    And I'd love to see them

XLBGE 
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,629
    They worked for me.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• Lowflyer
    Lowflyer Posts: 785
    They worked. Looks good.
  • Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757

SSN686, I am digging those Grate mates. Better than mangrates.

Does anyone have a better pic of those? we can reverse engineer it.

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• Cowdogs
    Cowdogs Posts: 491
    edited April 2013
    Thanks cowdogs. Good input as I have both woo and cast iron grate. Only thing is the 2 grids at the bottom of the woo reduces the space at CI grate - you encounter same issue?

Yea you do have to be careful navigating around the crossbars of the woo.  You can fit a pretty big "steak for 3" between the bars though. 

This stainless mesh basket fits perfect in the woo ring, and you can still close the small.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005EF718K/ref=wms_ohs_product?ie=UTF8&psc=1

My goto setup for steak is to start a basket full of potatoes (par boiled), mushrooms, and onions in the woo ring at 450.  When those veggies are close done, I lift the basket out of the woo ring, drop a 2 lb steak in on the CI grid, and replace the veggies.  Flip the steak as needed, and after 8-10 minutes of cooking I'll have steak, potatoes, mushrooms, and onions for 3 people coming off the small all at the same time.  It's good stuff.

• foneman
    foneman Posts: 104
    You can see some better pictures of the GrateMates on the NakedWiz's site
  • bbqlearner

Just fyi, I ordered this as well to test which one will fit better in the small.

http://www.amazon.com/Weber-7431-Cooking-Grate/dp/B000WEIKL0/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1367381699&sr=8-5&keywords=weber+grate

@Cowdogs Great idea - thanks for sharing. Sounds like I can get the benefit of two grids just by using the woo ring and CI grate and planning the cook. I may even be able to add another grid right above it.

@SSN686 Unfortunate that Chubby no longer makes them. It looks like a great product that will work well for small. Thanks.

• bbqlearner

Finally, I got the two grids yesterday evening. I measured both of them: the charcoal/lump grate one for smokey joe is 10.5 inch and the charcoal/lump grate for 18 inch weber is 13.5 inch.

When using the 13.5 inch grid on the small, I can only fit it at felt line or below. It does fit the small like some of you have pointed out but it doesn't fit well if you want to get it raised above the felt line in the dome (most I can do maybe is raise it a 1 inch or lower). Might not work for my purpose.

The 10.5 grid fits well in small so most likely, I'll be using this one instead. Once I start cooking this weekend with it, I'll post small pictures. Thanks.

• bbqlearner
    I meant I'll post some pics (not small pics).