Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Final tweaking of baked bean recipe

Options
The Walrus
The Walrus Posts: 35
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Baked Beans
the walrus’ modification for the BGE
from Dorothy Thomas’ recipe[p]2C Dry Beans
9C Water
1/2C Molasses
2TB Brown Sugar
1TB Vinegar
1/4 C Onion, chopped
2TB Dry Mustard (optional)
1/2 tea Baking Soda
pre-cooked Ham, Bacon, or meat of choice (optional)[p]Soak beans in 4 cups of water with 1/2 teaspoon of soda overnight. Drain, put back in pot with 5 cups of water and cook until tender (about one hour). Drain and save cooking liquid. Put beans in a cast iron Dutch oven and add the molasses, brown sugar, vinegar, dry mustard, and meat. Pour all the cooking liquid over the beans. [p]Baking[p]Place Dutch oven uncovered in the BGE on top of fire bricks. Use your favorite wood for smoking. Keep the temperature between 150 and 200 for about 1 hour, less time for less smoke flavor. (If not using wood smoke, start baking at 300 degrees for a total of 3 and 1/2 hours.) After smoking, bring the temperature to 300 degrees gradually. During the 3 and 1/2 hours at 300 degrees, stir at hourly intervals. Remove the Dutch oven from the BGE when the beans are about the consistancy of a thick stew. Cover the Dutch oven and let the beans rest. The rest of the liquid will be absorbed by the beans.[p]There you go, gfw. Comments welcomed from all.

Comments

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    the walrus,
    That sounds interesting. Two questions - what does the baking soda (I assume that is what you call tea baking soda)
    do to the beans and how much smoke do the beans capture?[p]Tim

• The Walrus
    Options
    Tim M,
    The teaspoon of baking soda is meant to cut down on the flatulence factor of the beans. The smoke was enough that the wife thought it was a little too smoky. I thought it was just about right. The wood used was hickory.
    the walrus

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    thewalrus,
    I'll have to remember to use that baking soda - no need for any "extra" flatulence.[p]I printed it out and will give it a try someday soon.
    Hmm, no dutch oven that is Eggable - maybe an aluminum pan would work??[p]Tim

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Options
    the walrus, this may be a dumb question, but what kind of beans? Thanks.[p]

• The Walrus
    Options
    Gfw,
    The only dumb question is the one you do not ask. I use a Great Northern Bean. You can use a Pea Bean, or any other dry bean, it all depends upon your taste. You could smoke them in the BGE and finish then off is the Crockpot.
    the walrus