Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

43 Pounds of Pulled Pork

Well that is what it weighed raw.

Done indirect at 220 until near the end, then the temperature rose some even with the Egg almost shut down.  Second time in a row with a good steady temperature rise with out a stall.

Lightly marinated overnight with Dichickos Garlic, and reapplied when put in the Egg.  Did not use a rub.

So tender at 200 internal that it was hard to harvest.

Had wings for lunch, with my brother who lent moral support throughout the cook.

No plated pic, this is for tomorrow.  It is still too hot, after an hour, to completely shred right now.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

Comments

• milesbrown4
    milesbrown4 Posts: 314
    What a cook!  Great work can't wait to see the pictures of the plate
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Looks outstanding Doc!!!

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • double
    double Posts: 1,214
    Love the white board charting the times. Nice cook
    Lynnwood WA
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Just stole a few pieces, finger eating tonight.  The bark was not dramatic but is darned tasty.  Sauced with my favorite BBQ, Sweet Baby Ray's and Dichickos Extra Hot, 50/50.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• Black_Badger
    Black_Badger Posts: 1,182
    edited April 2013
    Nice looking cook, congrats! Do you always foil overnight or just when using a marinade rather than a rub? Love the look of those wings too.

Cheers-
    B_B

Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Nice looking cook, congrats! Do you always foil overnight or just when using a marinaderatger than a rub? Love the look of those wings too.

Cheers-
    B_B

I do tend to foil, cling wrap, marinate, which I know is not traditional.  Works for me.  When I do one with a rub, I just coat with mustard and rub, right before the cook.

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Hope you got company coming.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• That looks so gooood!  So, supper is about 5:30 ish at your place, right?
    Flint, Michigan
  • SmokinDAWG82
    SmokinDAWG82 Posts: 1,705
    Pork looks great, are you throwing a shindig or just stocking up?
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    ^:)^ Dang @Doc_Eggerton!! That is impressive!

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    Now thats how you do pulled pork! Great cook Doc!  =P~
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • piney
    piney Posts: 1,478
    Looks great Doc!! I have a niece getting married in August and I need to cook several Boston Butts, I have an AR and was wondering how this was going to turn out. It looks as if I can do 4 at a time. I wonder how they would be if I fixed them a day or so early and then vac sealed until needed?
    Lenoir, N.C.
  • Doc_Eggerton
    piney said:
    Looks great Doc!! I have a niece getting married in August and I need to cook several Boston Butts, I have an AR and was wondering how this was going to turn out. It looks as if I can do 4 at a time. I wonder how they would be if I fixed them a day or so early and then vac sealed until needed?
    I could have done one, maybe two, more if I really cramed them in.  I just about the same amount of work to do four as it is to do one so we always max out and freeze most of it.

• piney
    piney Posts: 1,478
    Doc does it affect them to freeze them for a couple days? How is the best way to reheat ... boiling water maybe? I am thinking of shreding, vac pack, freezing, placing vac bags in boiling water to reheat. How do you do yours, any suggestions?   
    Lenoir, N.C.
  • yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    Doc, about how many people will that comfortably feed? I'll be having a party next month for about 50-75 people. Trying to decide how much I'll need.
    Dunedin, FL
  • Doc_Eggerton
    edited April 2013

We freeze individual baggies for months and they taste fine.  We just microwave warm, but if we're feeding a crowd we use a slow cooker to reheat, adding some broth for moisture.

I don't know the finished weight, but if it losses a third of it's weight that should be around 29 pounds of cooked meat.  How many pounds per person are you estimating.

I did the same thing for last Thanks Giving and reheated two crock pots of meat.  We feed 12 people and ended up giving the second pot full away as take-homes.

• Doc_Eggerton
    Tonight

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,352
    Very nice work!  I love to see what large capacities the BGE allows.
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95