Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Raised direct temp control

Options
I read all the post here and absolutely love this forum. I rarely post but need all your guys help. I do alot of low and slow and have great success but when I try raised direct I have alot of problems. If I am cooking several burgers or anything that requires flipping or opening the lid several times the temp gets out of control and climbs much higher than I can use. How do you guys do it. I have an XL with the adjustable rig. thank you all.

Comments

• dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053
    Options

Most cooks shouldn't require a lot of flipping, especially on a raised grid.  I don't flip my chicken on a raised grid.  If you do have a cook that requires opening the dome several times, once you get to the desired temp, close the lower vent by half and that should limit most of your climb.  What cooks do you do that you flip a lot?

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Options
    I don't have the XL have the large, but I don't have any issues with temperature control with flipping wings, burgers and the like.  Have you let the egg stabilize at a solid temp before putting the food on?  I probably flip wings 4-5 times in a 45 minute cook raised direct at about 375* to 400*.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    edited April 2013
    Options
    I'm just assuming your temp is not set before you start cooking. Flipping is not going to let the fire get out of hand. It will snuff down wen you shut it.

What I think is happening is its just gradually climbing because your vent settings are too open.

When you open the dome, the temp goes down. If the vent settings are locked in, it will equalize with short amount of time after the dome is closed after flipping. If vent settings are too open still, after you shut the dome, you will see it just keep climbing. Pretty sure what's going on here.

XLBGE 
  • MrCookingNurse
    Options
    @charlie tuna

What do you think the solution is?

XLBGE 
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Opening the lid provides plenty of oxygen to the fire, and opening it too long will certainly start your fire spiraling out of control. A couple things I do to help this. First, don't use much more charcoal than you need to complete the cook. Also, when you need to flip, say, a bunch of wings....remove the grate with chicken on it and set it on something (I use a sheet of foil on the table). Close the egg. Flip the chicken, then return to the egg.

Happy cookin!
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • MrCookingNurse
    Options

Opening the lid provides plenty of oxygen to the fire, and opening it too long will certainly start your fire spiraling out of control.

Happy cookin!
    Chris

Correct. I was just saying that flipping, which generally should be under a min, if not under 20-30 seconds, will not effect temp if your vent settings are locked.

It will settle back out after you shut the dome.

XLBGE 
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Options
    @charlie tuna What do you think the solution is?

I did not comment on this post for fear that i might post something YOU considered "OFF TOPIC".  I only post on the subject matter and have never posted "off topic"!  And calling someone on it, when it isn't the truth only weakens this forum.  You have some personnel problem with things i post, now you seem to have a problem with things i DON'T post on???
  • ericp
    ericp Posts: 152
    Options
    Thank you guys so much. I think between all the answers I have the whole story. I always stabilize temp for at least 20 min before food goes on. I think the solution is a combination of all your answers. I'm going to watch closer the amount of lump and wheb cooking a lot of food I'm going to remove the adjustable rig, close the dome, flip and put back on. I think I'm hqving to flip so much because I let the fire get too hot in the first place. Thanks again guys