Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Replace Gasket?

Griffin
Griffin Posts: 8,200

Do you think its time I replace my gasket? I seem to have a few small leaks.

Granted, I was using a pit controller and the fan was blowing away like crazy trying to bring the Egg up to temp. That might have had something to do with it. ;) I guess its time to quite being lazy and install that Rutland I bought.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

Comments

• MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    :-O WHOA!

Had to do a double take, thought that was my egg

XLBGE 
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    LOL, looks more like an incense burner. 

Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • Griffin
    That would be my kind of incense @tazcrash. A sublt blend of mesquite, pecan and hickory guarunteed to make the mouths of bbq lovers water.

Rowlett, Texas

• EddieK76
    EddieK76 Posts: 416
    I wonder if you didn't have the pit controller how much would leak out?
    Large BGE

• EddieK76
    EddieK76 Posts: 416
    Since it's not working overtime to get to a temp then.
    Large BGE

• Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    This looks like mine before i installed the rutland, now it still leaks somewhat when my fan is functioning, but it cut my lump consumption down considerably..
  • Griffin
    @EddieK76 it really doesn't leak much when the fan isn't on. The fan is just driving air through it and kicking up lots of smoke. I'm not really worried about it, I just need to find a day to replace it. What is the sealant most people use? Perma something or other? Maybe I stop by VatoZone on the way home and get some.

Rowlett, Texas

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    Grif, I think you said in another thread that you got an unwanted temperature rise.  Since smoke comes out when the fan is on, do you think that, possibly, air is coming in at other times and fueling the fire with oxygen, causing the rise?

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Permatex Ultra Copper, they will have it.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Griffin

That could be @Village_Idiot. It does seem to get hotter than what I set it at (usually 5 to 10 degrees). This time I completely unplugged the fan the last hour or so of the cook and it never cooled down. That being said, the dome temp was spot on at 250. I usually don't look at that, but Saturday I did.

That what I thought it was @Focker.

Rowlett, Texas

• cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    I just put a rutland on mine last week. I used the permatex ultra copper. The install was easy. I used a paint stripping wheel for my my drill to remove the old adhesive and clean the rim of my egg. WAY easier than acetone.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • lakewade
    lakewade Posts: 385
    It's fine.  Gaskets and sealage are over-rated.  

-----------
    I feel a whole lot more like I do now than I did when I got here.
  • BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    edited April 2013
    I have Rutland's on all four of mine and love them.  The last two I installed before I had even cooked on the eggs.  I know a lot of guys go without, but I like them for several reasons.  First and foremost they keep the smoke in and the air out.  Second, I like having the cushion there in case the dome is accidentally dropped, which I think we have all done at least once.  Third, I think it is much easier on your cables when using a Guru, Stoker, Maverick, etc. 

My oldest Rutland is almost three years old and other than some pork juice stains it is as good as the day I installed it, surviving clean burns and many pizza cooks.  I too use the 3M paint stripper wheel on a drill to remove the old gasket and glue.  No need for acetone after you strip and it causes zero damage to the ceramic.

I was at our local BBQ shop last week and they sell the Black Olive pellet feed kamado.  Black Olive has recently started installing Rutland's from the factory which BGE should have done years ago IMO.

Mike 

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Griffin, mine leaks like crazy too. Does yours have an underbite as well?
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    My buddy has a new egg and BGE finally started shipping them with a high temp gasket already installed. It'll be interesting to see how long his lasts. I was surprised yesterday after it rained. My rutland was soaking wet. The fabric absorbed lots of water. However, it did not get any of my lump wet.

The lump savings alone is reason enough to put on a new gasket.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    I palm sanded mine and used 3m adhesive... 5 months and the nomex is going strong.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN